Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My build is based around the following cpu/mobo combo and I am running 10.8.4 with all updates installed.

Intel i5 3570K
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
about.png

Audio over HDMI is working, BUT I can't figure out how to get surround sound to work.

This is what Audio MIDI Setup shows:
midi.png
Notice that all the speaker config options except Stereo are greyed out:
speakers.png

To get audio over HDMI to work, I used one of the older DSDT edit solutions that was the latest available solution in January of this year, 2013. I apologize, but I can't remember the exact solution I used, but it involved using MaciASL and IOReg to edit the DSDT.aml file. I had to delete any existing HDAEnabler kext files as part of this process.

I also used the latest version of MultiBeast (Mountain Lion 5.4.1) to install all the WITHOUT DSDT audio codecs.

Contents of my org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>device-properties</key>
	<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002 010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c000000 4100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066 006f0072006d002d0069006400000008000000050062011400 00006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e62 6f6172642d31</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1920×1080x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Is there any other information I can post that will be helpful in figuring out a solution?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I searched through past threads for a solution but most of the audio issues are focused around getting audio over HDMI working and I can't find anything pertinent to getting 5.1 audio working.

I am testing 5.1 audio using players like XBMC and MPlayerX.

Thanks in advance for your help!

To get audio over HDMI to work, I used one of the older DSDT edit solutions that was the latest available solution in January of this year, 2013. I apologize, but I can't remember the exact solution I used, but it involved using MaciASL and IOReg to edit the DSDT.aml file. I had to delete any existing HDAEnabler kext files as part of this process.
Interesting you follow the guide regarding the enabler and ignore the note on device-properties:

7. Verify no audio enablers (S/L/E/HDAEnabler1.kext, HDAEnabler8xx.kext, etc.)7a. If present, delete the enabler, fix permission and rebuilt cache.
8. Verify no device-properties injection (Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist)8a. If present, edit/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist, delete the injection string, save.

Suggest start over with [Easy Guide] ML: UEFI HDMI Audio.

Thanks much for the response toleda!

I actually did remove that device property injection but when I try to boot without it, the OS doesn't boot all the way thru and just stalls. I can try the entire process again and post what happens exactly though.

How can I start over? If I try to patch and compile my DSDT.aml I get these compile errors which, as you have mentioned, means I can't patch the same DSDT.aml twice. So how can I start over...do I delete my existing DSDT.aml and build a new one using MultiBeast? Any other steps I need to take to start over?

So how can I start over...do I delete my existing DSDT.aml and build a new one using MultiBeast?
Boot with DSDT=Null, MaciASL/File/New From ACPI/DSDT. MultiBeast has nothing to do with extracting or editing dsdts.

No luck. 2 channel sound works but no 5.1.

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Deleted existing DSDT.aml & org.chameleon.Boot.plist
2. Ran MultiBeast 5.4.1 and installed the Reaktek 892 driver and reboot
3. Verified that there is no audio over HDMI and reboot.
4. Selected boot option DSDT=Null
5. Moved existing /S/L/E/HDAEnabler1.kext to backup folder on desktop.
6. MaciASL/File/New From ACPI/DSDT
7. Save as DSDT.aml on desktop
8. Verified
DefinitionBlock ("iASLmY7Fh7.aml", "DSDT", 2, "ALASKA", "A M I", 0x00000012)
9. Patch UEFI-Clean Compile - no errors
10. Patch
Desktop-HD4K/HD3K/AMD/Nvidia-A3 - no errors
11. Save DSDT.aml on desktop and also in /Extra and reboot

View attachment DSDT_patched.aml.zip

sound.pngmidi-2.png
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GenerateCStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GeneratePStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>darkwake=0</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>2</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Sorry to waste your time toleda. Your suspicion was correct. The SAMSUNG is my TV. I had sound coming from my build to my TV via HDMI and then the TV itself has an optical-out that is connected to my 5.1 receiver. After you raised the question, I pulled out the manual for my TV and found that the TV will only output stereo from its optical-out. I had just assumed all this time that it was a full pass-thru port. Unfortunately my receiver doesn't have any HDMI ports so I can't directly connect to it.

Something I never tried before, but since I now (after going through the UEFI HDMI audio guide again) have a functioning optical output on my build, I hooked up the optical cable to it direclty, and surround sound is working perfectly! Not sure why Audio MIDI Setup and System Profiler present the digital optical out as having only two channels. Not sure what I am missing. I have seen screenshots of other people's Audio MIDI Setup app and they have options like 5.1, etc available to them, so not sure why I can't select them. And more puzzling is how 5.1 is working fine even then. Maybe my understand of Audio MIDI Setup is not correct.

Thanks again and sorry about wasting your time :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back