Contribute
Register

SURPRISE! Nvidia 970 trouble with Yosemite (10.10.2) and Clover....

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yes, your previous post of the "only four things you should need" made perfect sense to me... Bizarrely this has proven to not be the case in my... case. (pun intended). I have no trouble boting with nv_disable=1... But once the web drivers are installed (without fanfare) it's still disable or crash. No smooth sailing. Very strange.

I have my computer as 14,2. Like what was mentioned before do the updates, cuda update and driver updates. I had to hook my monitor up to the onboard graphics to get the drivers, or you could boot from your flash drive. If you still have problems let me know, we have very similar systems.

So, after starting from scratch, flashing bios, reinstalling yosemite with clover, (I am now on 10.10.3), fully updating Nvidia web drivers(and CUDA), my card still isn't fully recognized in system profiler... Now just says Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 7.44.44 PM.png

which is closer I guess, but still not reading it correctly...

Is your IGP enabled in bios? If so you might want to try disabling it since your config has Inject/Intel/False.

Yep, I switched it over from IGFX in bios after web drivers were installed... I've found that it seems to be a common problem when people install with Clover for the GPU's to not show up correctly, so I'm betting there's some sort of kext/boot flag fix... Still digging for that now.

Yep, I switched it over from IGFX in bios after web drivers were installed... I've found that it seems to be a common problem when people install with Clover for the GPU's to not show up correctly, so I'm betting there's some sort of kext/boot flag fix... Still digging for that now.

Clover is actually much better at detecting hardware than Chameleon or Chimera. I've used Clover for years with out any GPU issues.

What kext have you installed or are injecting with Clover?

I think the only kexts I added were the basic ones in the clover installation guide (FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, and my RealtekRTL81xx LAN kext). I haven't even started messing with making sure sound and all devices are working properly yet, although my usb and wifi are working just fine... Just been busy trying to get the video card working... I checked for the NVidia kexts and they all seem to have been installed once I updated web drivers (before the latest web driver update it was reading "no kext installed", now just the 3mb vram total and "nvidia chip model" instead of specifically the 970)... I just find this strange because I've found so many posts about this exact situation in multiple forums and posts, and no solution to get the card to read correctly. Everyone just says the usual "install the web drivers" and "change the bios" and "boot with nvda_drv=1" (which still gives me "no signal" after boot)...

Are there other kexts that I should have added? I can use Hackintosh Vietnam or Kext Wizard or whatever if there's stuff I'm unaware of, just not sure what I would put in that isn't there already.

Also, just want to say thanks for actually replying and going through all these questions. Surprised no one else has chimed in here.

I think the only kexts I added were the basic ones in the clover installation guide (FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, and my RealtekRTL81xx LAN kext). I haven't even started messing with making sure sound and all devices are working properly yet, although my usb and wifi are working just fine... Just been busy trying to get the video card working... I checked for the NVidia kexts and they all seem to have been installed once I updated web drivers (before the latest web driver update it was reading "no kext installed", now just the 3mb vram total and "nvidia chip model" instead of specifically the 970)... I just find this strange because I've found so many posts about this exact situation in multiple forums and posts, and no solution to get the card to read correctly. Everyone just says the usual "install the web drivers" and "change the bios" and "boot with nvda_drv=1" (which still gives me "no signal" after boot)...

Are there other kexts that I should have added? I can use Hackintosh Vietnam or Kext Wizard or whatever if there's stuff I'm unaware of, just not sure what I would put in that isn't there already.

Also, just want to say thanks for actually replying and going through all these questions. Surprised no one else has chimed in here.

You don't need the NullCPUPowerManagement. Haswell CPUs have native power management handled by the kernel in Yosemite. Remove that and then rebuild kernel cache using terminal.

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Then reboot.

Aaaaaaaaand strangely when I go to remove that kext it is no longer in my EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10 folder, which I'm pretty sure I copied from my USB Clover install flash drive. Also not in "extensions".... Sooooo- guess it's not there? Rebuilt caches anyway. No change.

There's some posts that mention needing PCIRootUID=1 for this board. Pretty sure that's a chimera/chameleon thing- is there a Clover version of this? Clearly I am fumbling in the dark at this point, but trying to think of everything I've possible read that could be linked to this issue.

EDIT - I also recall needing -no-zp when I had all of this successfully running with Multibeast. I A: had no idea what it did, just one of the flags that finally made it work when I was trying any and everything. B: wonder if this is also a universal bootflag / has a counterpart in clover / matters at all...

WHOA- very weird... Just booted with "nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 and -no-zp" for the hell of it and got booted in, graphics were very smooth, checked system profiler and it was reading my gpu correctly! ALL FOR 3 SECONDS.... then boom- reboot.... CLOSER?!? It was very strange...

I am happy to announce, after multiple re-installs, reformatting, reBIOS'ing, etc etc etc, I finally have everything working correctly. After editing the config file to get the on board Intel GFX working and recognized properly first, installed web drivers, switched from IGFX to PCIE1 and disabled Intel, booted with nvda_drv=1 and -no-zp, and what seems to be the KICKER, plugged in a different monitor with DVI. I realized that the one I was using during install was plugged into the DVI, but is only a VGA monitor that was connected with an adapter. Took reading through many many pages of random threads just to realize that would even be an issue... Pretty sure this is what was causing my "crashes" which were apparently just the display disconnecting because of the VGA.

It's always something so small...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back