Contribute
Register

Support for ARM chips found in macOS Sierra Kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
fingers crossed guys, finger crossed! :lol:

Maybe a hybrid chip, x86ARM. Support for x86 chips with ARM prices. AKA the LEG Chip (Legacy Embedded Generic). LOL. But seriously, if Apple wants to switch, adding an ARM chip as a co-processor might be a transition point.

At this point Apple might just be trying to get OS X and iOS to be even better together?

Steve Jobs is probably already turning in his grave.
I think lots of you remember the WWDC 2005 keynote and his "Performance per wat" explanation about switching the PowerPC chips with Intel. I wonder where the ARM chips will stand in such sheet, not to mention the Intel value in that sheet has also changed over the years (it's a matter of 12 years after all).

Or the beginning of some very affordable MacBooks:

https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707

:)

"Affordable" and "Apple"... Sounds like we're talking about different company. Come on, this is Apple after all, such "potential" change will allow them to make cheaper hardware, but cheaper for them, the price for the end user won't change as much as you think.

It would appear that Microsoft is already beating them to the punch:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/21/windows-10-arm-qualcomm-2017-launch/

I got this one wrong- I did not think that a practical emulation for x86 on ARM was ready yet, but it appears that MS/Qualcomm feel that they can make a go of it.

Personally, I think the iPad is in trouble as a proxy for the A-series chips moving beyond mobile applications. With Windows 8 and 10, Microsoft's direction is "you can run our OS on a tablet but if you want to use your tablet as a portable computer we will let you do that too," whereas Apple's direction of limiting the iPad to being a primarily read-only device is looking increasingly boneheaded.

I want Apple to succeed, but they seem to have some difficulty admitting when they are wrong about something.

It would appear that Microsoft is already beating them to the punch:

I want Apple to succeed, but they seem to have some difficulty admitting when they are wrong about something.

I want everyone to succeed, because I feel more options are better. Mostly though I want Intel, and AMD to ditch the 40 year old x86 tech. Surely they can design something form the ground up that is better, faster, more efficient (sounds like the "Bionic Man" intro)... and cheaper. x86 emulation would be great as a crossover bridge to new chips, and long as it doesn't end up like the Commodore 128 with Commodore 64 emulation mode (nobody ever really embraced 128 mode).

At the end of the day I don't think this is an OS issue anymore, it now seems to be a chip makers problem. The clock goes Tick-Tock, Intel...

I think 2019 might be the year they do it. Full ARM switch. They already have the means to replace the Macbook line with equally performing ARM SoCs, give them two more years and they can probably match 95 W TDP Intel CPUs in performance as well.

And then, with slightly cheaper MacBooks, they could take over the world. "Everyone" would want one. Who would buy a Windows laptop for 800 if there was an Apple alternative? They would dominate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back