Contribute
Register

Support for ARM chips found in macOS Sierra Kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think apple will move there Macs to ARM only because they're not as powerful as intel CPUs although they could put a ARM chip in the macbook.

Whatever Apple decides to do with their Mac lineup they still have to support Millions of Intel based Macs for many years to come. So this is nothing to worry about. I think it will be a very long time before any ARM based chip could compete with an I7-6700K anyway. They would lose many of their Pro/Prosumer customers if they were to completely abandon Intel chips in the iMac. They will not completely give up on desktop Macs or macOS anytime soon and just make phones, watches and tablets. The MacBook Pro line is actually quite profitable and is one of their signature products that consumers value greatly. Everyone I know who has one wouldn't consider any other laptop.

Last edited:
Whatever Apple decides to do with their Mac lineup they still have to support Millions of Intel based Macs for many years to come. So this is nothing to worry about. I think it will be a very long time before any ARM based chip could compete with an I7-6700K anyway. They would lose many of their Pro/Prosumer customers if they were to completely abandon Intel chips in the iMac. They will not completely give up on desktop Macs or macOS anytime soon and just make phones, watches and tablets.

So I guess hackintosh still lives ;)

Long live the Hackintosh! If they do ever completely switch over to ARM and design their own
chips for Macs it will also bring some good changes and maybe even lower Mac prices since they
won't have to pay the premium Intel chip prices. That is of course if Apple doesn't decide to raise
their profit margins even higher.

Last edited:
Thats one of the reasons why i have a hack and a lot of people of hacks because its much cheaper. Although i can't see a switch to ARM chips happening only because a ARM chip isn't as powerful as a Intel i5 or i7 CPU but who knows what happens those new macs that are being released are Skylake anyway.

Wouldn't ARM chips be incompatible with Thunderbolt?

If they do ever completely switch over to ARM and design their own
chips for Macs it will also bring some good changes and maybe even lower Mac prices since they
won't have to pay the premium Intel chip prices.

I think it would be more in the other direction :)
They would advertise it as the most powerful and modern CPU lightyears ahead blahfasel blub ********

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back