Contribute
Register

Supercharged G4 Cube Mod: i5, GTX 750Ti and 3TB 3.5” HD in a cube!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the parts that were assembled elsewhere, like the acrylic put-together setup, did they laser cut that, or does anyone know if it'd be possible to do with a 3D Printer?

The acrylic was indeed laser cut, and I assembled the frame after that. I believe it could be 3D printed too, but in my country 3D printing is still very rare, and the few places that offer the service charge A LOT, so I chose the acrylic instead.

...I have a AMD HD7850 running off a Pico160xt and Dell DA-2, and thats rock stable.

Just curious. How do you plug the DA-2 in the pico? I was thinking on buying another pico (for another, smaller hackintosh I'm building), but the 190W adapter I bought before it's now way too expensive.

Very cool build! Do you have CAD files for the frame? Also, is it possible to use a higher watt power supply that works remotely like yours? I would love to build something like this for my next machine, but I'd want at least 16gb of RAM and an i7 as I do a lot of photo and video editing.

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 06.19.19.png

:) :headbang: :thumbup: :clap:

Délirant et fantastique.

This is a very beautiful build. Thank you for sharing your way of work with the cardboard, this is inspiring.

Beautiful Mod...

esterhernd: The cutting job was a little pricey, but wasn’t as pricey as my first option, which was 3D printing the pieces. Making the conversion to USD, it was around $80.

I see your G4 Mod ... a Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful work.
My english is too bad for say what i think about it ... Great.
But now the questions to you:

Can you share your measuring 3d models for laser cutting?

And the other question:

Where you let cut the plexi? Have you a address or url?

Once again, thank you all for your kind words. Never expected so many people to like it.

CrazyCreator: I'm afraid I had it cut in a place at my city, in Colombia, South America. I believe for most of you the cost of the shipping would be too high to have it cut in here. But if you are close, let me know.

Some of you have asked for the files with the models. I don't want to sound rude, I guess I could share them, but, wouldn't it be better if you tried to do your own versions? Designing is part of the fun! Also, remember I measured everything just for my own components to fit, and maybe yours won't. You'd most likely need to change some things before using them :S

Congrats on the excellent Cube build. I always like to see some innovation and experimentation in these projects, and this certainly qualifies in this category. Graphics card, and four storage devices is really packing it in there, so again excellent work.

Question: How do you turn it on ? looks like a power on the underside ?

If you could fit it in there the original Cube power switch can be very easily reused. See this guide. http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g4-cube/43924-cube-switch-modding.html

Kiwi

Super clean build, awesome !

Question: How do you turn it on ? looks like a power on the underside ?

If you could fit it in there the original Cube power switch can be very easily reused. See this guide. http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g4-cube/43924-cube-switch-modding.html

:O That's awesome! I'll definitely try it, tho I'm not sure if the original power switch from my cube works (the one I bought was heavily damaged). Currently, there's a tiny black switch on the underside; it's s little hard to reach, but does the job fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back