Sapphire HD 5670 1GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This was my first attempt at creating a hackintosh, so hopefully I've done a good job.

e46jV.jpg

Behold my Hackintosh G3!

I knew it was going to be a bit of a challenge but if I was going to build a Hackintosh, it had be with an Apple case. The hardest part was removing the mounts and drilling the holes, easy bit was putting all the components together.

5ac1n.jpg

(This is not my image) After I removed the original mounts (circled) I lined up my video card's PCI plate with one of gaps and made sure all IO ports were lined up as well.

Then I just dropped a pen through the screw holes in the motherboard then proceeded to drill through the case.

354en.jpg

Parts:
Gigabyte MATX GA-H61M-S2V-B3 H61 (Firmware: F2)
Intel i5 2400 3.1GHz
Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 x 2
Sapphire HD 5670 1GB GDDR5
Belkin F8T017 Bluetooth Adapter

Drives:
OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD
1TB WD
500GB WD

OSX: 10.6.8

Note: My build description and MultiBeast configuration screen snapshot are here: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... 02#p284402

Removed old mounts below MATX to make it fit.
Replaced the 120mm fan.
Replaced stock cooler with a low profile Alaska.
Removed my DVD drive until I find a long enough SATA cable.
I forgot to take a picture but I managed to find a PSU that fitted perfectly with the back plate, no cutting required!

ONIUA.jpg

Had to improvise for the motherboard mounts, also had to trim some of the latch board so that it would open properly.

O43Aw.jpg

Added 3x40mm fans at the back grill to improve ventilation.

qWuhk.jpg

New Power LED and switch for the front panel.

pGdNc.jpg

It works!

Future work:

I'd like to manage the cables a bit better, add a better HDD Bay, find/make a proper IO back panel, add an Airport PCI card,clean/buff up the latch board better than it is at the moment.

Apart from that I'm quite pleased with it so far :clap:

The room would be taken up on top by an optical drive and Iomega Zip drive. I would use ATA to SATA adapter on mine.

But, this is a great case mod. I think a full ATX will fit, too. I'd mod my Sawtooth and follow your mod right now, except it's running great, although dead ended at 10.5.8.

Please post a picture of the back panel. It's amazing that you didn't have to cut to make the mobo back panel visible and useable. Wow!

Here's a good Apple Support on the G4 Desktop series with back panel pictures.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3082?viewlocale=en_US

Very nice looking mod! I love seeing stuff done in the G3/G4 case designs... always giving me more ideas. How is the cooling with that fan configuration? I'd also like to see how the back panel came out.

Thanks for all comments :)

Here are some more pictures of the case:

I7FcO.jpg

Back of the case, only thing that has been removed was the original IO plate. As you can see my new PSU fitted perfectly.

KSYWb.jpg

A closer look at the IO ports while opened.

zENxk.jpg

And the other side.

tBqyC.jpg

Only minor thing is one the VGA mounts in slightly behind the plastic, no biggie since I use the DVI port.

BbJTO.jpg

Trying to show the gap between the PSU and the CPU cooler.

qAMaJ.jpg

Another view.

EBtNY.jpg

Here's the battlestation.

DjSPH.jpg

Nightmode engaged! :D

tviolation said:
How is the cooling with that fan configuration? I'd also like to see how the back panel came out.

J09Yh.png

Taken from iStats on dashboard, don't know if that's something to go by :)

Photos of the back panel are up above!

TommyNagz said:
Awesome! Could you please tell me what PSU do you use? I'm currently working on a PowerMac G4 hackintosh :) The cases are perfectly identical, the only difference is the color, yours is BondiBlue, mine is a bit darker than that :) By the way, I LOVE how you made the front panel work! :)

Thanks man!

It was this PSU :)

Whoaa~
Nice!
gonna tell my friend who has G3 too
:)

btw..
GREAT JOB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back