Contribute
Register

Super-cheap NVMe fusion drive using Dell 7010 Q77 motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Power connector on 7010 board , ATX copatible ?
--
Thank's

Last edited:

You have the SFF, (Small Form Factor) board. I'm sure this is ATX compatible, you have a 24 pin power connector too.

@selevo The Dell 790 boards (sandy bridge/Q67) and 7010 like yours were both a rare exception from Dell that didn't need a proprietary PSU. The 990 and 9010 models have the same 24 pin connector. They only used these kinds of standard connectors from 2010-2013 then stopped. Now the replacement PSU requires a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter. That is always a risky proposition. The ones sold on Ebay for 5-12 dollars are generally poor quality and can damage your system or even not work at all. If you read up on this many people report problems using those 3rd party adapters.

All Dell boards newer than the 7010 or 9010 have this proprietary power connector. They do this so the end user will "have to" buy one of their Dell branded PSUs. It's ok to use adapters for the 5 pin fan headers on these Dell boards. Not much risk there. With a PSU power adapter it's much more complicated and a risk I don't want to take. What Dell should do is just make and sell an adapter that is up to specs. Not sure why they don't. Nobody buys their refurb PSUs anyway.

This 24 to 8 pin adapter is called "block erupter." Hmmm, interesting name. Keep your fire extinguisher handy if needed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJ411ZL/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Most people seem to agree it's best to buy one of the following if you need to:

Last edited:
thank
I made a few pieces of such power adapters for HP6200pro & hp6300pro board
it's very easy, only some wires + step up converter on mt3608 for +5v Stand-By ATX to +12V Stand-By HP \ DELL board
6pin

DELL has an interest in profit from the sale of branded power supplies and I think no branded adapters will not, developed by DELL
It's all easy understandably and obviously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back