Contribute
Register

Super-cheap NVMe fusion drive using Dell 7010 Q77 motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it would be SLOT 4 on the far right side. The x16 slot is always closest to the CPU socket.

One last question guys!. Can you point me to the PCIe X4 slot from this page taken from the Optiplex 7010 technical guidebook. Is it number 10?, the PCI-e x16 Connector (SLOT1). Or Number 13?, the PCI-e x16 (wire x4) Connector (SLOT4). It will help knowing what to look for on eBay.View attachment 381506
It's #13 in the board components table above. The slot closest to the edge of the board.

How is the progress on the Fusion drive coming along so far ?

How is the progress on the Fusion drive coming along so far ?

Hi trs96. I haven’t got all the parts yet!. Still waiting for the M.2 NVME 120 GB SSD to arrive. I also ordered the power button cable and 4 to 5 pin fan cables. I have the cpu fan, 7010 SFF Motherboard, 8 GB Ram and an Core i5 3470. I’m looking into PSU currently. As I’m fitting all this into Power Mac G5 case, I’m looking for something that fits into the bottom with the plug socket aligned with the case. Originally I thought about an original 7010 SFF power supply which is small but only 250 W, but looks like it would fit perfectly.

Looks like a really good deal for an NVME drive. Hope it works out with your build.

reminds me of my GA-Z77MX-D3H (not TH)I could not find one on ebay
Little pricey
Lot pricey. 240 dollars for a 6 year old motherboard. More than double what it cost new.
The Dell Q77 chipset boards sell for under 20 dollars and you can buy a used i7-3770 for $100
So for half the price you get the i7 and motherboard with money left over for ram.

Last edited:
Just wanted to check - in theory can you make the nvme bootable, even with these older motherboards? Wondering if I could get it working for a HP 8300 with an adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back