Contribute
Register

Super Budget Logic Pro Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I am new to building hackintoshes, but not new to Mac OS, though I have built a computer in the past. This is my first time building a hackintosh but I don't want to spend crazy lots of money. My requirements is to atleast run Logic Pro 9(I still have a copy of it) to a relatively modern macOS version (maybe Mavericks is the oldest I can bare.) I am planning to build a LGA 775 system just to start me out.

Here are the system specs that I will BUY:
Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-AM LGA 775
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7200 or Core 2 Quad E8300
GPU: Palit 2GB GTX 750Ti(Already owned but if it's not compatible with the motherboard, I will replace it)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800mhz

Is it a good enough system to run Mavericks and Logic Pro 9

Motherboard
Asus P5LP-LE
CPU
Core 2 Duo
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GT 640
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I know for certain you can run versions on core 2 duo all the way up to El Capitan. The ram you might wanna step it up to 4gb though

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am new to building hackintoshes, but not new to Mac OS, though I have built a computer in the past. This is my first time building a hackintosh but I don't want to spend crazy lots of money. My requirements is to at least run Logic Pro 9 (I still have a copy of it) to a relatively modern macOS version (maybe Mavericks is the oldest I can bare.) I am planning to build a LGA 775 system just to start me out.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7200 or Core 2 Quad Q8300
GPU: Palit 2GB GTX 750Ti (Already owned but if it's not compatible with the motherboard, I will replace it)

Is it a good enough system to run Mavericks and Logic Pro 9?

Drivers for the GTX750 Ti are only available starting from Yosemite. If you want to use Mavericks you will need an older card such as a Nvidia Kepler series card (600 series -- GTX660 Ti / 660 / 650 Ti / 650 / GT640 etc.).

And 2 GB of RAM may not be quite enough. I recommend at least 4 GB. But this is old DDR2 RAM that perhaps you may have difficulty in getting?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am new to building hackintoshes, but not new to Mac OS, though I have built a computer in the past. This is my first time building a hackintosh but I don't want to spend crazy lots of money. My requirements is to atleast run Logic Pro 9(I still have a copy of it) to a relatively modern macOS version (maybe Mavericks is the oldest I can bare.) I am planning to build a LGA 775 system just to start me out.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7200 or Core 2 Quad E8300
GPU: Palit 2GB GTX 750Ti(Already owned but if it's not compatible with the motherboard, I will replace it)
Is it a good enough system to run Mavericks and Logic Pro 9

You could get a much better system with a Core I5-2400 CPU and 4GB of ram for $99 and install a full height 750 Ti in it. The power supply is 320W. If you are not in the USA you can probably find one at the Ebay nearest you. It's quite a bit more difficult to get an older socket 775 Asus system to work with Sierra/High Sierra than it is with a Sandy Bridge based system.

HP 6200 Pro MT on Ebay

I've installed Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra on one of these, you can choose whichever one you want. You won't be bogged down by an ancient Core 2 Duo and a socket 775 system with slow DDR2 ram. See a link to the 6200 Pro guide in my signature below. Make sure the OS version you choose works with Logic Pro 9.

Last edited:
Motherboard
hackintosh
CPU
i5
Graphics
8600gt
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Logic 9 is working stable on my z97 mavericks 4790k build. Something with a bit more grunt cpu ram wise will see you right for the current analog emulation vsts and radius stretch hence the attempt to install old osx on relatively up to date hardware

Last edited:
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
I have a core2quad hackintosh I've built back when core2quad were still good, so I confirm it would probably be hackintoshable, I don't know the motherboard as I've used an asus barebone which turned out to be pretty compatible. My first objection would be that 2GB to run logic are a very limited amount of RAM, I wouldn't expect loading many AU instruments, in particular if sample based. My old build had 4GB.
But, as TRS96 suggests, getting an HP on ebay would be a better deal on all fronts.
I'd also check the HP 8300 elite, very good value, you can find some in the 200 euros range (if you're in Europe).

Motherboard
HP 8300 SFF
Graphics
HD4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
if you have budget of 4 to 4 hundred, does it make sense to buy hp 8300 full tower with i7 etc

or would you rather chose alienware alpha R1 series?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
if you have budget of 4 to 4 hundred, does it make sense to buy hp 8300 full tower with i7 etc

or would you rather chose alienware alpha R1 series?
If you want to have macOS High Sierra fully working it's a much better choice to go with the HP 8300. If you want to primarily game in Windows then the Alienware is a better choice.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I thought R1 is fully supported

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-alienware-alpha-r1-60-second-guide.217771/

I am no gamer
probably care more about music apps like ableton

You can get an HP 8300 with an I7-3770 for around $220. You could use onboard HD4000 graphics to save by not needing to buy a graphics card. Then you can upgrade the ram to 32GB. You'd use DDR3-1600 which is reasonably priced these days. Use the rest of the budget on some large 500GB or 1TB SSDs. You'll have two Sata 3 ports to get the full speeds from them. You can also connect a Firewire card via PCIe if you need that. Works OOB if you buy the right one. The Alienware is not able to do all these things. That's a pretty good audio build at a low cost. If you can find an i7 Alienware for that price then go for that, but I doubt that you will even come close to that.

The Alienware (i7 versions) start at close to $500 and go up. You don't even get a full speed desktop i7 in these like the 3770 is.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=alienware+alpha+i7&_sop=15

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.