Contribute
Register

Suitable Display Monitor with Built-in Speaker Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte UD4 X99 v1.1 / Bios F23
CPU
Intel i7 5820k CPU OC 4.5ghz
Graphics
EVGA Nvidia GTX 960
Hi,

Having just setup my first fully working X99 build running Yosemite 10.10.5 I'm now looking to update my old Apple Cinema 23" monitor display to one that has a Built-in speaker so I can hear my System notification and alerts etc..

I also plan to use an external Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface for my Main sound output, Itunes, Logic Pro etc... Is this split audio setup possible?

I don't care for 4K resolution as its likely to be out of my budget range, I just need a display with sound that is equally as good as the Apple Cinema or better.

Here is my X99 Build -

Gigabyte UD4 X99 Motherboard
Intel 5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 GPU
Samsung SSD Evo 250
2 x Western Digital 1T HDD
Corsair RM750i PSU
Fractal Define R5

Many thanks

Noodlez

Hi,

Having just setup my first fully working X99 build running Yosemite 10.10.5 I'm now looking to update my old Apple Cinema 23" monitor display to one that has a Built-in speaker so I can hear my System notification and alerts etc..

I also plan to use an external Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface for my Main sound output, Itunes, Logic Pro etc... Is this split audio setup possible?

I don't care for 4K resolution as its likely to be out of my budget range, I just need a display with sound that is equally as good as the Apple Cinema or better.

Here is my X99 Build -

Gigabyte UD4 X99 Motherboard
Intel 5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 GPU
Samsung SSD Evo 250
2 x Western Digital 1T HDD
Corsair RM750i PSU
Fractal Define R5

Many thanks

Noodlez

You didn't say what your budget is, but you can get the Samsung U28D590D, a 28" 4K monitor, for less than $400 refurbished or about $500 new. This is a fantastic monitor (I have one) - bright, crisp, and clear, with a DisplayPort and two HDMI ports. Though it doesn't have built-in speakers, it has another feature, just as good or better - a 1/8" audio output jack which carries the DisplayPort or HDMI audio. So you can plug any speakers or headphones you want into your monitor to hear the HDMI audio.

To answer your other question, yes, you can send your system alerts through one audio device and other stuff through a different one. The Sound preferences pane handles this - just select the desired device (instead of "Selected sound output device") under "Play sound effects through:" (see below).

SoundPrefs.png

One more thing - it doesn't make sense to skimp on the display; it's the most important part of your interface with your computer!

Look at the Dell Ultra Sharp monitors combined with the Dell AC511 sound bar. It works very well with OS X, connects to the monitors USB hub and sounds very good. I have one paired with a Dell U2415 1920x1200 monitor which is fully color calibrated from the factory and comes with documentation. The monitor has slots in the bottom where the soundbar clips on.

image.jpgimage.jpeg

Hi many thanks for your recommendation!

Just wondering do your volume keys work on your keyboard with the speaker bar?..

Hi many thanks for your recommendation!

Just wondering do your volume keys work on your keyboard with the speaker bar?..

Yes they do.

That's great thank you!

That's great thank you!

The bar also has a digital volume control on the right which controls the volume and activates the on screen UI just like the volume keys do.

Ok great!, I've found a good price on the dell u2415 including the sound bar, just need to sell the Apple 23" and I'm all set!

Many thanks again for your help, very appreciated!

Noodlez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back