1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am looking to build an osx86 rig for a friend who will use:

adobe premiere, after effects, photoshop
final cut pro
he uses 4k video
and he is looking to get into 3d rendering

he wants a beast. I was looking in to dual cpu solutions but from what I have been finding here on the forum that does not sound like the best route. Does anyone have suggestions for a nice beefy video rig?

I am looking to build an osx86 rig for a friend who will use:

adobe premiere, after effects, photoshop
final cut pro
he uses 4k video
and he is looking to get into 3d rendering

he wants a beast. I was looking in to dual cpu solutions but from what I have been finding here on the forum that does not sound like the best route. Does anyone have suggestions for a nice beefy video rig?

krzee, If you live in the US and want to get the GA-X79S-UP5 you can order it through the amazon.ca link in the buyer's guide. They will ship to the US. The exchange rate is also favorable if you're buying in US dollars. If you are going to use an E5-V2 Xeon CPU that is the board to get for a "Beast Build."
If your video pro friend wants a ten core Xeon like the E5-2680 V2 the motherboard will need to be a rev. 1.1 for that to work. Just ask Amazon.ca to check that to make sure. It's printed right on the motherboard, all they have to do is open the box and look at it.

TRS 2014-04-07 at 11.08.35 AM.jpg It's printed in the upper left corner above the PCI slot. Click on this image to see it enlarged.

thank you!

I will spec it out as:

GA-X79S-UP5
Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2
Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
32GB (8GBx4) DDR3 1600
dual GeForce GTX760
Corsair RM Series 1000 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS
Samsung 840 EVO-Series 250GB SSD (for OS and temp storage for active projects)
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 (for long term storage)
Asus 24x DVD-RW

This can be costly, so I'm looking to give him options; and I'm curious about a couple things:

-would it be possible to first install with a single GPU, and upgrade to dual later?
-would there be any problem with first installing with a Intel Core i7-4820K and then later upgrading to a Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2?
-I see this mobo can handle 64GB of ram, can I start with 32GB as above, and upgrade to 64GB later by purchasing another identical 32GB kit? The mobo has 8 slots, and the kit only uses 4; but I have never heard of 64GB on osX.

thank you!

This can be costly, so I'm looking to give him options; and I'm curious about a couple things:

-would it be possible to first install with a single GPU, and upgrade to dual later?
-would there be any problem with first installing with a Intel Core i7-4820K and then later upgrading to a Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2?
-I see this mobo can handle 64GB of ram, can I start with 32GB as above, and upgrade to 64GB later by purchasing another identical 32GB kit? The mobo has 8 slots, and the kit only uses 4; but I have never heard of 64GB on osX.

Yes, you can start with the lower cost components and then upgrade later. To handle working with 4K video though I'd get at least the 6 core Xeon CPU or the 4930K. The GTX 770 would also be the better choice for Pro video work. The 760 will work as a budget choice as well. OS X can utilize up to 196 GB of Ram, maybe more since Mavericks.

*=changed

GA-X79S-UP5
*Intel i7-4930K
Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
*64GB (8GBx8) DDR3 1600
*dual GeForce GTX770
Corsair RM Series 1000 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS
Samsung 840 EVO-Series 250GB SSD (for OS and temp storage for active projects)
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 (for long term storage)
Asus 24x DVD-RW

changing the CPU to a much higher clock with less cores allows me to save $ while upgrading the GPU and doubling the RAM

Thank you again, your answers are very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back