Intel i5-3570 @ 3.40 GHz
Graphics
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT-640
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone,

Right now, I'm chugging along on an Ivy Bridge-era build that I found here on this site around five years ago. I chose an EVGA GeForce GT 640 as my graphics card of choice, and Apple and NVIDIA have been graciously cooperating since then to provide support for it.

Now with the state of NVIDIA web drivers and acceleration in Mojave and onwards, I've been strongly considering replacing the GT 640 with a new AMD graphics card. My criteria for now is an AMD card ideally under $200 that would be compatible with the rest of my setup and is natively supported by Apple (i.e. has built-in support). I'm also just concerned that a brand-spanking-new graphics card would somehow be incompatible if I were to use it with such an old motherboard (perhaps my concerns are unfounded).

It would not have to be amazing in terms of performance; I only use one 1080p monitor but the ability/capacity to add a second monitor would be great. The extent of graphics-intensive processes that I run on the computer only extends so far as Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Pro/After Effects, League of Legends, and Cities: Skylines (i.e. not too much, I think, in the grand scheme of things, and those are also CPU-bound to some degree, and that would likely be a bigger bottleneck).

Thanks, and I look forward to everyone's input.

The GT 640 is still natively supported by macOS Mojave. If you are happy with the performance of the GT 640, there's no need to upgrade yet.

If you still wish to upgrade to an AMD card, I have an RX 560 that I got for about $110 that works fine.

Personally, I would just continue using the GT 640 until the next major release of macOS. It's questionable if Apple will still have official support for Ivy Bridge by then.

I have a Galaxy GT 640 .. it worked to install but graphics had notched edges and gaps as well as text .. What drivers are you using ?

I have a Galaxy GT 640 .. it worked to install but graphics had notched edges and gaps as well as text .. What drivers are you using ?
The 640 has native support in macOS Mojave if it's Kepler based (GK107). Doesn't require any 3rd party drivers installed to work.

Last edited:
My GT 640 gives impaired graphics but after install replaced with a GT120from apple and that works but not for install. It seems a DP is needed. Also some 600 series are kepler and some Fermi and i don't know how to tell the chipset

some 600 series are kepler and some Fermi and i don't know how to tell the chipset
Boot up any version of Windows, 7, 8.1 or 10 and then run the GPU-Z 2.0 app and you can find out. Should say GK107.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back