1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Greetings, fellow Hackintoshers,

So, a little over a year ago I built my first Hackintosh using the TonyMac method and the extensive support found in these forums. I'm in your debt, people. It's been running 10.7.2 stably (*knock wood*), but I've failed to keep it updated following the birth of my first child. Man, babies are so selfish.

Now that the little dude's giving us some small modicum of free time, I'm thinking about tinkering with the ole' Hack rig a bit, and bring it up to date. Here're a quick rundown of the system specs:

GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Core i7 2600K currently at stock speeds (but water cooled with an Antec Kuhler)
4x4 Gb DDR3 1600
GTX 460 1Gb
128 Gb Crucial M4 SSD (OS, apps)
2 Tb Seagate HDD (storage)
Currently running 10.7.2, F4 Bios and TonyMac's DSDT.

Now, here's what I'd like to do with the ole' gal, in no particular order:
-Upgrade to 10.8.2
-Update from BIOS to UEFI
-Overclock (I've built PCs for years, so I'm no stranger to overclocking)
-Get HDMI audio working.

My problem, though, is that I'm uncertain as to what particular order in which I should attempt these changes. For example, it probably makes sense to move to UEFI prior to changing to ML, but this is really the only step I can't undo with SuperDuper. Hence, I'm hesitant.

So, internet brethren: thoughts? Advice? Also, is it worth the effort to try and install 10.8 over the existing Lion installation, or would I save myself a headache by going with a clean install? Your $0.02 are always welcome, certainly in these troubling economic times. :)

Thanks in advance,
Sheq

Nice system. Where to start?
OK, first, prep work:
On one of the storage drives create a partition and clone your SSD to it, install Chimera so it's bootable.
Purchase/download the 10.8.x install app
Download UniBeast and create your UniBeast USB installer - http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
Download the UEFI BIOS and prep it on a USB following the directions in the manual for your board.

Now to work:
Shutdown, disconnect all drives just to make sure we avoid any errors, and flash the BIOS, again following the directions in the manual for your board
Boot the UniBeast USB and install 10.8.x, set up your base user.
Run MultiBeast to do your post install files installation.
Use Migration Assistant to bring all your settings and files over from the Lion clone partition.
Some of your apps might not be migrateable (is that a word? - must be, I used it :mrgreen: ) and you might have to download and install them from scratch.
Enjoy

Thanks, Going Bald, I really appreciate the advice!

SO, if I'm understanding you clearly, you suggest both doing a fresh 10.8.2 install and updating the BIOS to UEFI simultaneously? I hadn't considered that, fearing changing multiple variables and what not.

I'm considering trying to install 10.8 on an external drive (linked through eSATA), and using this as a "sandbox" until I've gotten the kinks worked out; thereafter porting it to my primary drive via SuperDuper. Is this folly?

Best wishes, many thanks, and a Happy New Year!
Sheq

Thanks, Going Bald, I really appreciate the advice!

SO, if I'm understanding you clearly, you suggest both doing a fresh 10.8.2 install and updating the BIOS to UEFI simultaneously? I hadn't considered that, fearing changing multiple variables and what not.

I'm considering trying to install 10.8 on an external drive (linked through eSATA), and using this as a "sandbox" until I've gotten the kinks worked out; thereafter porting it to my primary drive via SuperDuper. Is this folly?

Best wishes, many thanks, and a Happy New Year!
Sheq

Actually, you don't have to move to UEFI if you are currently using a DSDT and want to continue to use it. You would only need UEFI BIOS if you wanted to operate DSDT free. What you might do is just open the side of the case, disconnect all of the interior drives and connect a power/SATA cable to a bare drive without installing it and install on it. I've done this and it works better than the eSATA route unless the eSATA is run from the Z68 chip. If your eSATA is off the Z68 and not some added on chip, then go ahead and use it.

Yeah, having ambled around these forums for a bit, it seems like UEFI brings a lot of advantages to the table (no DSDT; faster boot time, etc...), and so I'd like to use it. The question remains, though, whether I should update the BIOS first (while still in 10.7.2), upgrade to 10.8.2 first and thereafter switch to UEFI, or (as you suggested), do both simultaneously.

If I wanted to move to UEFI while remaining in 10.7.2, would I have to remove my DSDT before the update, or thereafter? Just curious...

Cheers,
Sheq

Yeah, having ambled around these forums for a bit, it seems like UEFI brings a lot of advantages to the table (no DSDT; faster boot time, etc...), and so I'd like to use it. The question remains, though, whether I should update the BIOS first (while still in 10.7.2), upgrade to 10.8.2 first and thereafter switch to UEFI, or (as you suggested), do both simultaneously.

If I wanted to move to UEFI while remaining in 10.7.2, would I have to remove my DSDT before the update, or thereafter? Just curious...

Cheers,
Sheq

If you change to UEFI you must extract and edit a new DSDT as the UEFI BIOS is totally different from the old one.
You can update the BIOS to UEFI and keep the 10.7.2, but ditch the DSDT before you do or you will have to boot -s and delete it manually. Easier to remove it from /Extra before you flash.

I have a very similar system to yours. When I upgraded to ML I didn't bother with UEFI as there are no major benefits in it for me, and I know for sure the regular BIOS route works without problems. When I upgrade OS's I also like to start over with a clean slate, moving my data manually and reinstalling my software. More work but for sure no dead weight lingering around.

What I'd do is update the BIOS to the latest version F10 (and get the matching DSDT from the repository).
CCC or superduper clone the current system drive to the data drive so you have a backup in case of trouble.
Do a unibeast/multibeast install of 10.8.2 on the system drive, with the F10 DSDT file.
Move your data etc from the backup. Install software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back