Contribute
Register

Suggestions for enabling encoding acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus mother board here, Z390, this fixed it for me.

Primary Display = PCIE
iGPU Multi-Monitor = Enabled

fixed it for me.

iMacPro 1,1 Worked like a charm with iGPU disabled. H264 and HEVC hardware acceleration is now enabled. As a bonus to the change, I even received a bit of an uptick in Cinebench which, is always welcome.

Also in the guide was an interesting section on AppleALC. I think I will make those changes as well since it seems to be the wave of the future.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

[EDIT] Out of curiosity, I tried enableing iGPU on this system config. MasterZee still works perfectly with the intel graphics active.
Just because VideoProc shows green does not mean HEVC ENCODE will work. You have to ACTUALLY do an encode (e.g. take H.264 clip and transcode it to HEVC) to confirm it and check the GPU load & utilisation. Then do the reverse (HEVC to H.264).

With Catalina 10.15.2, Apple disabled HEVC encode in Polaris GPU's - specifically in their OWN App - Final Cut Pro 10.4.8 !
Whole group of eGPU users (many professionals) are really pi**ed off with Apple at the moment regarding this backward step. Many spent $$$$'s on external eGPU enclosures to find the latest FCPx no longer use their expensive eGPU for encode (without resorting to workarounds).

Work around for me was to roll-back to FCPx version 10.4.6 and roll-back to Mojave for my rig (i7-3770K + RX580 using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS model ID).

@mitch_de has written a little Menu Bar tool App the shows if your AMD GPU is ACTUALLY Encoding and/or decoding.
There is a whole thread on the topic of AMD GPU's used for encode/decode and (and the tool) here.

Use VideoProc (preferably FCPx if you have it) together with the tool to confirm.
Hope it works for you.

Try this in Terminal

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -bool YES

to reset
defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back