Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU
i5-4590
Graphics
Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB
Greetings all

I am researching for my first Hackintosh build. I currently have the following for hardware

• Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI motherboard
  • Intel i5-4590 Haswell CPU
  • Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB GPU
  • Dual Crucial 480GB 2.5 SSD drives
  • 16GB RAM
I am wanting to dual boot both MacOs Catalina and Win10 using separate drives. There seems to be a lot of buzz around going with the OpenCore method for boot loaders, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of guides or videos that explain how to dual boot both MacOS and Win10. I am curious what is the best method to dual boot using MacOS Catalina? I see there is a guide available on this site to install macOS Catalina using UniBeast and MultiBeast, but that guide doesn't have give you the steps if you wanted to dual boot both MacOS Catalina and Win10.

I feel that I would be comfortable going the OpenCore method, but interested in any suggestions for a path for me to choose going forward.

Thanks in advance for any advice !

Cheers,

Torbuck

Suggest you follow the Multi-Boot Guide and install with Clover to begin with (ignore the Linux part if you are not interested). Then you can use a USB drive to experiment with OpenCore. Clover is forgiving, OC is very picky and everything has to be just right.

Thank you for the suggestion! Can I follow the same guide using MacOS Catalina?

This is how my main system is configured but I have Mac OS on a nVME drive and Windows 10 on a SSD. Here is how I do it.
  1. Install Windows 10 on the SSD first, get it all working and drivers installed
  2. Remove the SSD and install the M.2 nVME and install Catalina and boot loader, get everything configured and working properly.
  3. install the Windows 10 SSD and make the default boot order for the M.2 nVME so OS X is the default OS.
  4. When the computer boots, if you want to boot into Windows 10 just exit clover and it will boot.
I do not put both OS's on the same drive, some have had success and other have not, updating Windows 10 can something mess up the boot loader. your experience may be different.

This is how my main system is configured but I have Mac OS on a nVME drive and Windows 10 on a SSD. Here is how I do it.
  1. Install Windows 10 on the SSD first, get it all working and drivers installed
  2. Remove the SSD and install the M.2 nVME and install Catalina and boot loader, get everything configured and working properly.
  3. install the Windows 10 SSD and make the default boot order for the M.2 nVME so OS X is the default OS.
  4. When the computer boots, if you want to boot into Windows 10 just exit clover and it will boot.
I do not put both OS's on the same drive, some have had success and other have not, updating Windows 10 can something mess up the boot loader. your experience may be different.

This is exactly what I have been looking for in terms of guidance. Thank you very much!

I dual boot macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and Windows 10 using OpenCore 0.5.8 on same drive
Had no choice cheap NVMe drive has failed or at least I dont trust it in my system, something killed 2 power supplies

compiled OC binaries myself (only requires Xcode) and the source from github, the source will always be one version newer than the release which is done monthly on the first Monday or Tuesday of the month

Move to Multi Booting.

how do you install windows 10 ? do i need to install it the uefi way ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back