Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Suggestions for determining home network bandwidth usage over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to follow up on this issue in case someone else runs into this problem. After opening a bug report with apple and sending a diagnostic log from one our iPhones while it was uploading tons of data as shown in the screenshot above, Apple was able to provide a solution.

From Apple, " Rings are how we co-ordinate the public keys across devices to make backups. Two devices are arguing over just how many keys belong in that ring - one has an old view of what’s right and the newer one tries to correct, but the old one knows better = and so it goes. Updating the device which is still running 17A577 should help."

17A577 = iOS 13.0. I determined my daughter's phone was still running iOS 13.0. I did two things, updated her iPhone to 14.5, and since she is leaving for college in the fall, had her create her own Apple ID and login to her iPhone and MacBook Air with her own Apple ID which also serves as her new iCloud login. She is still using our home internet, but the massive amount of data being uploaded problem is completely resolved. You can see the last few days the iCloud usage has dropped to just a few megabytes. I'll watch it for a few more days to make sure, but looks like it is resolved.

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 5.59.17 AM.png

If you want to reduce something like internet usage, or weight, or how much money you spend every month, you have to find a way to monitor it. This ASUS router worked out nicely. Our internet usage is back down to a more reasonable 600-700GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back