i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
For those just joining:

If you want to get your RX 5700 XT to work in 10.15.1, make sure to add Lilu, WhateverGreen, and use `agdpmod=pikera` when booting.

Now here's my original post:

My specs:
- Gigabyte Z370 AORUS WIFI
- i7 8700K
- ASUS ROG RX 5700 XT

I've previously had a Gigabyte GTX 1070 in this setup running High Sierra. I've swapped it out for the 5700 XT and was able to boot into High Sierra, albeit with a ton of visual glitches and artifacting. After reading up multiple threads of success about having the 5700 XT work with Catalina 10.15.1, I decided to bite the bullet and run the installer. However, I did not delete the previous NVIDIA web drivers or do much to prepare the current OS since the guide said that I can just run the installer and be fine, as long as Clover is updated (which I did update).

I'm currently having trouble getting the machine to display after the loading screen pulls up to ~90%. The screen turns off and the disk light stops blinking. Booting with -x does not turn the screen off, but it just goes black. I am unable to pull what the last few lines of output were from -v because they just appear very quickly and then disappear within a split second. However, I am able to switch caps lock on/off, suggesting that the OS is actually still running, just with the exception that the display function is out. Single user mode works OK, although it seems like Catalina locked down its capabilities. I've also made a backup USB drive with the installer to test out, and the behavior is identical when trying to boot into it from its own latest version of Clover.

The current solutions I've tried:
- remove all traces of the NVIDIA drivers
- put lilu and whatevergreen kexts into EFI
- updated clover to latest (4961)
- disabled integrated graphics in BIOS

Other threads I've seen with this GPU have suggested it's possible to get it working, but neither OP has posted their EFI configs or explained what exactly they did to get it running. I certainly have not seen this motherboard + GPU pairing either.

Since the installer USB is not displaying anything either, my suspicion is with Catalina itself and not just my installation of it. I did notice there is a Preboot Filevault option in Clover, but I don't remember if that was there previously as well since I have a ton of disk drives in my machine. I've tried to inject lilu and whatevergreen into it as well without any success.

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Gaming WiFi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Update: I figured out how to get this to work after hours of Googling.

Turns out that you need to add a boot flag for WhateverGreen to work. I used `agdpmod=pikera` and it successfully worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.