Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I was struggling to get a working boot after installing El Capitan on my previously working machine. I could boot from the USB but after installing Clover Legacy-Root or Clover Legacy the HFS option to boot from the El Capitan drive disappeared. I think this has something to do with the boot1h installation on the partition.

The way I got around this issue was fairly simple as it turns out. First, I installed as usual on the hard disk, this creates a small EFI partition and the main HFS+ partition.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS COMMANDS THAT EXECUTE ON YOUR DISK DIRECTLY. DATA LOSS IS VERY POSSIBLE! THIS GUIDE ASSUMES YOU HAVE ONE HARD DRIVE INSTALLED ONLY, DISCONNECT ALL OTHER HARD DRIVES BEFORE FOLLOWING THIS TUTORIAL AND BACK UP ALL DATA.

Then I booted off the USB onto the HFS partition and brought up a terminal, using "sudo -s -H" to give myself a root prompt.

First, mount the EFI partition to take anything useful off there that was installed during the installation:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
cp -r /Volumes/EFI/EFI .
diskutil unmount /dev/disk0s1

Now, we'll format it to ensure that it is FAT32:

newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1

Next, we'll get our stage 0 and stage 1 bootloaders for Clover. Download the Clover bootable ISO from https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Bootable_ISO/ and extract with "The Unarchiver" or some other application from the App Store.

Mount the 64bit ISO that was in the lzma archive.

Execute the following (taken from https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Installation#manual-installation_osx_installation-on-a-fat32-partition):

cp /Volumes/Clover-*-X64/usr/standalone/i386/boot1f32 /dev/rdisk0s1
dd if=/dev/rdisk0s1 count=1 bs=512 of=origbs
dd if=origbs of=newbs skip=3 seek=3 bs=1 count=87 conv=notrunc
dd if=newbs of=/dev/rdisk0s1 count=1 bs=512

Now, to install the 0-stage bootloader:

dd if=/Volumes/Clover-*-X64/usr/standalone/i386/boot0af of=/dev/rdisk0 bs=1 count=440 conv=notrunc

We just have to install Clover now, and put our EFI files back:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mv EFI /Volumes/EFI/
cp -r /Volumes/<USB stick name/EFI/* /Volumes/EFI/EFI/
cp /Volumes/Clover-*-X64/usr/standalone/i386/boot /Volumes/EFI
diskutil unmount /Volumes/EFI

And that should be it... Obviously, you'll have to perform the standard post installation steps, but that's out of the scope of this.

If at any point you reboot and can't get back to the boot menu, go into the BIOS and under Advanced change the order of the HDD to put the USB at the top. You can only do this if you have Legacy USB HDD enabled in the BIOS.

Last edited:
I did it in a "simpler" way.
1. Installed the El Capitan on HD with the USB.
2. Then took out the HD from the computer case and mounted the HD (HD-dock, USB 3) in Mac (in my case my Macbook Pro).
3. Downloaded MultiBeast for El Capitan.
4. Installed Legacy Clover on the HD (El Capitan). *Warning* Make sure the name of the HD is not the same as your computer!!!
5. Reinstalled the HD in the computer.
6. Boot the computer
7. Updated to 10.11.5
8. Reboot. Done! No commands or nothing. =)

I did it in a "simpler" way.
1. Installed the El Capitan on HD with the USB.
2. Then took out the HD from the computer case and mounted the HD (HD-dock, USB 3) in Mac (in my case my Macbook Pro).
3. Downloaded MultiBeast for El Capitan.
4. Installed Legacy Clover on the HD (El Capitan). *Warning* Make sure the name of the HD is not the same as your computer!!!
5. Reinstalled the HD in the computer.
6. Boot the computer
7. Updated to 10.11.5
8. Reboot. Done! No commands or nothing. =)

Hi wentakura, are you on X58A-UD3R? With this solution you provide, does sound and shutdown work?

I was struggling to get a working boot after installing El Capitan on my previously working machine. I could boot from the USB but after installing Clover Legacy-Root or Clover Legacy the HFS option to boot from the El Capitan drive disappeared. I think this has something to do with the boot1h installation on the partition.

The way I got around this issue was fairly simple as it turns out. First, I installed as usual on the hard disk, this creates a small EFI partition and the main HFS+ partition.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS COMMANDS THAT EXECUTE ON YOUR DISK DIRECTLY. DATA LOSS IS VERY POSSIBLE! THIS GUIDE ASSUMES YOU HAVE ONE HARD DRIVE INSTALLED ONLY, DISCONNECT ALL OTHER HARD DRIVES BEFORE FOLLOWING THIS TUTORIAL AND BACK UP ALL DATA.

Then I booted off the USB onto the HFS partition and brought up a terminal, using "sudo -s -H" to give myself a root prompt.

First, mount the EFI partition to take anything useful off there that was installed during the installation:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
cp -r /Volumes/EFI/EFI .
diskutil unmount /dev/disk0s1

Now, we'll format it to ensure that it is FAT32:

newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1

Next, we'll get our stage 0 and stage 1 bootloaders for Clover. Download the Clover bootable ISO from https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Bootable_ISO/ and extract with "The Unarchiver" or some other application from the App Store.

Mount the 64bit ISO that was in the lzma archive.

Execute the following (taken from https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Installation#manual-installation_osx_installation-on-a-fat32-partition):

cp /Volumes/Clover-*-X64/usr/standalone/i386/boot1f32 /dev/rdisk0s1
dd if=/dev/rdisk0s1 count=1 bs=512 of=origbs
dd if=origbs of=newbs skip=3 seek=3 bs=1 count=87 conv=notrunc
dd if=newbs of=/dev/rdisk0s1 count=1 bs=512

Now, to install the 0-stage bootloader:

dd if=/Volumes/Clover-*-X64/usr/standalone/i386/boot0af of=/dev/rdisk0 bs=1 count=440 conv=notrunc

We just have to install Clover now, and put our EFI files back:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mv EFI /Volumes/EFI/
cp -r /Volumes/<USB stick name/EFI/* /Volumes/EFI/EFI/
cp /Volumes/Clover-*-X64/usr/standalone/i386/boot /Volumes/EFI
diskutil unmount /Volumes/EFI

And that should be it... Obviously, you'll have to perform the standard post installation steps, but that's out of the scope of this.

If at any point you reboot and can't get back to the boot menu, go into the BIOS and under Advanced change the order of the HDD to put the USB at the top. You can only do this if you have Legacy USB HDD enabled in the BIOS.

Hi Chris, are you on X58A-UD3R? With this solution you provide, does sound and shutdown work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back