Contribute
Register

Successfully patched Z170X-UD5 TH CFG Lock (MSR Ex02)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just checked your new updates bios on my board, extracted it and load UEFItool and see that nothing changed:

I suppose you misunderstood entire concept there. I recommend to read more about UEFI and how it works. To patch AMI BIOS you need AMI BIOS Configuration Program, which enables to modify parameters in a BIOS ROM without rebuilding from source. Then you flash your motherboard with patched BIOS. But setup_var isn't for patching BIOS, its for reading/writing UEFI configuration. Even Windows boot loader has special GUI for editing those variables. But some variables are not accessible via GUI. That's why you need this setup_var utility.

I suppose you misunderstood entire concept there. I recommend to read more about UEFI and how it works. To patch AMI BIOS you need AMI BIOS Configuration Program, which enables to modify parameters in a BIOS ROM without rebuilding from source. Then you flash your motherboard with patched BIOS. But setup_var isn't for patching BIOS, its for reading/writing UEFI configuration. Even Windows boot loader has special GUI for editing those variables. But some variables are not accessible via GUI. That's why you need this setup_var utility.

yeah thanks, now I understand that setup_var is only for reading/writing UEFI configuration, therefor now I need your advice, so here is my result, please tell me it's correct or not, because it's looks same as yours uploaded-image in post #16

this is image from my last result using setup_var_3 0x4EF 0x00 which gave as this:
Too small Setup variable detected, ignoring.

Pic1.jpg

Pic1.jpg

Last edited:
For the record, I definitely did NOT use Setup_Var_3. I possibly used Setup_Var2 though, I honestly can't remember. And I do consider my patch successful as verified by VerifyMsrE02.efi

thanks, I will try it, but only Setup_Var2 or Setup_Var_2? and how you then verified by VerifyMsrE02.efi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back