Contribute
Register

Successfully install Catalina 10.15.1 on GA Z370P D3 + i9 9900KF + Vega 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question.... Can you confirm that you have the KF version of the i9-9900 and not the K version? I have been having issues with getting the i9-9900KF hack running with the configuration I had, I ordered the same mobo as you and the same vga card is coming thursday. Can you also confirm that you have his EFI running wtihout modification or did you have to modify it?

It is 100% the KF version. This EFI allowed me to install with no issues. I only later edited it's plist from inside Catalina on the Hackintosh to customize my clover bootloader (hid some options & changed the theme). Everything else was left as-is.

I will mention though, it looks like there is no option to get the wifi working in MacOS with this setup unless I install an airport card or wifi USB adapter. I've seen other users with the same board/CPU have this issue also, and ultimately resolve it with a card/adapter.

Last edited:
This can not be not on Catalina if you check your drive was changed to APFS during the install of Catalina.

Correct. I forgot to edit this when copy & pasting my specs from a doc. I had to reformat the Hackintosh partition to Mac Extended (Journal) during installation, via Disk Utility. I started with a Windows 10 machine though, so when I created the partition on the SSD I had to use FAT32.

It is 100% the KF version. This EFI allowed me to install with no issues. I only later edited it's plist from inside Catalina on the Hackintosh to customize my clover bootloader (hid some options & changed the theme). Everything else was left as-is.

I will mention though, it looks like there is no option to get the wifi working in MacOS with this setup unless I install an airport card or wifi USB adapter. I've seen other users with the same board/CPU have this issue also, and ultimately resolve it with a card/adapter.

Thank you... I got it working and changed my serial number and uuid, however, I cannot get my imessage to work, are you using imessage? If so, were there any special steps with your mobo other than the usual change serial and uuid to get it to work?

Any version of 8th gen/9th gen cpu should work with K without K or the F versions.

Well, everything is linked to the word 'should'.
Actually, I'm having issues in terms of stability (system freezing... without getting any clue on what is the cause), with a i9 9900-KF, meaning without iGPU! Even with SMSBios iMacPro1,1 (linked to real Mac running Xeon without any iGPU), the issue still remains.

Therefore, we - the one who has KF CPU - can all have doubt reading KF is running perfectly well with SMSBios iMac19,1 relating to real Mac using iGPU inside!

If you don't mind, it would be so helpful to get the ID of your CPU using the tool from Intel MacCPUID just above.

In advance, thank you very much for your precious help!

Attachments

• MacCPUID.zip
    510.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Capture d’écran 2020-03-03 à 10.14.08.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-03-03 à 10.14.08.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 63
I solved this with ACPI patch. Try with my efi.

Your SMSBios is telling iMacPro1,1 meaning your CPU might be a real KF.
Would it be possible, dear Sashamed, to get confirmation you're running this 'special' CPU?

Thanks in advance :)

Forget this message... it's clear I was still sleeping...
Anyways, thank you all for these details!

Any version of 8th gen/9th gen cpu should work with K without K or the F versions.
Yeah, mine is now up and working great!!! My issue turned out to be a older power supply, it kept rebooting when switching to graphics at load... oddest issue I ever seen, but all is well lol.

Yeah, mine is now up and working great!!! My issue turned out to be a older power supply, it kept rebooting when switching to graphics at load... oddest issue I ever seen, but all is well lol.

Great to hear.... Seems logical that if your PSU did not have the power to run the GPU & CPU that it would bog down in power and auto reboot to protect itself.

What was the power of your PSU? I'm running a pretty recent 600W with SSDs and only one HD. This seems so far Ok (except the freeze problem on Mojave).
I'm going to test the install of Catalina very soon.

Again, thanks for all of your experiments and experience! :)

Hi,

Just to keep updated the topic I raised earlier: everything seams to be linked to hardware issues.
The tips provided here are the right one!

Thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back