Contribute
Register

Successful Update to Big Sur With OC 0.6.3 on a Gigabyte Designare Z390

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed from clover to oc 0.6.3, updated all kexts and updated finally to big sur.
No problems so far.
Updates via appstore worked.
How did you change from Clover to OC? Did you format the HDD then re-install everything from scratch?

To change from Clover to OC see this Guide - Getting Started - for very simple and informative instructions.
Thank you. I scanned through the "Clover Conversion" page and found it too scary to do! I'd rather re-install the OS and all my apps than doing that conversion! Anyway, Catalina is good enough for me for now and I find no benefit to upgrade. Actually, I may downgrade to Mojave in order to have my XLR sound interface and drawing tablet work again!

Thank you. I scanned through the "Clover Conversion" page and found it too scary to do! I'd rather re-install the OS and all my apps than doing that conversion! Anyway, Catalina is good enough for me for now and I find no benefit to upgrade. Actually, I may downgrade to Mojave in order to have my XLR sound interface and drawing tablet work again!
it's really simple, open core has a very detailed guide, just follow every step

How did you change from Clover to OC? Did you format the HDD then re-install everything from scratch?
I used @CaseySJ guide to move from clover to OC.

You have nothing to format (except the usb stick).
First create an USB stick with efi partition and configure here your open core configuration.
With that USB stick you are able to test the efi oc configuration. Just boot from the usb stick and look if everything is working. When not boot again with clover.
When it‘s working you can just replace the clover efi folder from your efi partition on the hard disc with the efi folder on the USB stick.

Needless to say that a backup is absolutely recommended ;)

To be fair it was a bit easier for me because I have nearly the same hardware configuration like CaseySJ.
So I haven‘t to deal with SSDT configs.

I used @CaseySJ guide to move from clover to OC.

You have nothing to format (except the usb stick).
First create an USB stick with efi partition and configure here your open core configuration.
With that USB stick you are able to test the efi oc configuration. Just boot from the usb stick and look if everything is working. When not boot again with clover.
When it‘s working you can just replace the clover efi folder from your efi partition on the hard disc with the efi folder on the USB stick.

Needless to say that a backup is absolutely recommended ;)

To be fair it was a bit easier for me because I have nearly the same hardware configuration like CaseySJ.
So I haven‘t to deal with SSDT configs.
Well, I looked here: Converting from Clover to OpenCore and it's a hell of instructions and modifications :crazy:

I read here that people are saying it's an easy conversion, but as it's described in the above (official?) page, it seems not, at least for me!

Anyway, I'll try the method you suggested (booting from USB first). If it works, then I'll move to OC then upgrade to BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back