Contribute
Register

Successful Laptop Install Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add to the list an HP 6510b
Couldn't get wifi working so i had to use a dell 1390 with a hacked BIOS to allow third party wifi cards, sleep doesn't work, and couldn't get the bluetooth module as well going.
Card Reader works, got the screen brightness working fine too, LAN card grabs an IP, but doesn't connect. don't really care since i got the new internal wifi card working.
Video card works fine full resolution with QE/CI

I got Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed on my Windows machine using iBoot and MultiBeast. Here are the details:

Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX F series 16.4” widescreen
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-hom ... VPC-F13UFX

Basic Specifications:
Intel® Quad Core™ i7-740QM processor with 6MB Cache and 1.73GHz
4GB DDR3-1333MHz memory
HDD 500GB hard drive
DVD Optical SuperMulti Drive
NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M with 512MB dedicated RAM graphics card
Intel® High Definition Audio with Dolby® Home Theater Technology
QWERTY keyboard, 103 keys with 2.0mm stroke and 19.05mm pitch

~SubduedJoy

Attachments

• apple2.png
    apple2.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 397
I've got a Sony Vaio VGN-N250E working with SL 10.6.7 on an MBR based system which dual boots with Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 which was initially installed on the laptop and can't be deleted hence my hdd is partitioned as MBR not GPT.

To get this to work, had to install retail SL 10.6.3 on to a USB flash drive and then restore it to the hackintosh partition on the internal drive. (Attempted to install SL directly to the laptop partition but it would not allow me to install on my disk partition since it wasn't GPT, i.e. still was MBR) Used iBoot-Legacy.iso (tonymax2.7.2) to boot SL10.6.3 from the flash drive. Used MultiBoot-3.10.1 to get

• FakeSMC.kext
    ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext
    evOreboot.kext

I also downloaded GMA950-945 and installed with Kext Helper B7 to get

• AppleIntelGMA950.kext
    AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
    AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
    AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
    AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
    Natit.kext

and also ran "Intel GMA950 Graphics Card ID 8086-27A2.dmg", the last one seems to be for 10.4.1?, but I'm not sure that either of these were truly needed.

Finally, I installed Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684 manually per the install instructions included in the README. This of course overwrote the MBR for Windows,(Chain boot failed/error) but I was able to fix that using the repair capability of the Vista Home Premium install disk. Then booted into Vista, used easyBCD to create a new boot record for OS/X using MBR rather than EFI(Chain 0 Error if I used EFI). Laptop is now dual boot. :headbang:

Problems I still have to address are:

• fix display - native display should be 1280x800 for the laptop, but can only get 1280x768. Bottom 1" of screen is fuzzy and looks like it has burn in from windows.
    fix wireless - laptop has the intel 3495abg card. (I've tried chamfer and iwidarwin but no luck so far) Anyone got a broadcomm wireless chip recommendation that will work with the Vaio :?:

Update 2012/01/03: I installed iwidarwin and couldn't get anywhere but have reinstalled chamfer and at least it seems to enable my Intel 3945 but while I can see networks, I can't attach to my personal network which is "WPA2 Personal". Does chamfer/airport support "WPA2 Personal"? I'm able to configure as "WPA2 Personal", but it's not one of the 1st options given, i.e. had to go to WPA Personal, save, and then edit again.
deprecated]

:headbang: Update 2012/01/31: Wireless working using an Atheros AR9280 AR5BXB92. :headbang:

Three things I've noticed

• during boot the display changes resolution a couple times before it settles in on 1280x768
    I lost my PS/2 trackpad/mouse and keyboard in both Windows and OS/X at times but was able to recover by pulling the battery and a/c power. Would see errors when booting OS/X indicating PS/2 timeouts for PS2Controller. (Didn't matter if I had VoodooPS2Controller loaded.)
    From the Apple Menu, "About this MAC" seems to log me out. Anyone have a fix for this?

I have tried to upgrade to SL 10.6.8 from SL 10.6.7 but there appears to be a problem with the Graphics. I can boot with -v -f, but just end up with a white screen. I do see some hdd activity going on, but can't see anything on my display. There doesn't appear to be a kernel panic, or if there is, it's hidden behind the white screen. (No little apple logo.) This is of course lower priority than getting the laptop accessing the internet using wireless, since otherwise it's pointless to have a laptop. But if someone has some suggestions to log what's failing, let me know.

Attachments

• System Info Sony Vaio VGN N250E.tiff
    214.3 KB · Views: 344
  • System Info Sony Vaio VGN N250E Kexts.tiff
    248.4 KB · Views: 337
  • Wireless.tiff
    113.3 KB · Views: 353
thx for the info..

Dell Inspiron n5110 works 10.6.3 -6.8 Everything is great except ethernet.

Acer Aspire 5920G
Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.7 run
Cpu: Core2Duo T7700 2,4 GHz 800MHz FSB 4MB L2 Cache
RAM: 2x 2 Gb Kingston
Graphic: NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT 512 MB
Sound: IntelHDA via Voodoo
Working Hardware: Graphic Card, Sound Card, Trackpad, Bluetooth, USB, DVD, FireWire,
Acer Crystal Eye Webcam
Not Working (not yet, i do my best): Card Reader, EthernetCard, Intel-Wlan, Sleep

1: Install Mac OSX SL 10.6
2: Boot with CD without any options
3: Combo Update to 10.6.7
4: Multibeast with Options: Easy Beast Install, SystemUtilities, VoodooHDA 0.2.72#
5: Boot without CD with the Options: -v -pci

Add to the list:

Lenovo 3000 N100 (0768-A78)
CPU Intel Core DUAL or Duo (not Core2Duo (yet!))
Intel GMA 950 GFX Card onboard.
OS X 10.6.3 , vanilla Kernel.
iBoot + MultiBeast, just don't forget to choose the PS2 stuff for notebooks first time around :D
Swopped Intel wifi card (no kext for the 9465 can be found for the Intel Pro Wireless), New one is equipped with a Broadcom chip which works out of the box.
The part nbr for the wifi card is 42T0823 and also used in Lenovo 3000 C200 (N100 bigger brother) and T60. Due to Lenovo keeping a "white list" (what is allowed in this laptop) this is the easiest swop without having to mess with a BIOS update. Parts are still available and work as an AirPort card with native support. And for your next laptop: you can most likely port it too!
Audio onboard works with VoodooHDA.kext but either set the gain for the mic input to zero or search for the iGain=0 VoodooHDA.kext where the gain is set to zero so it doesn't start whistling / beeping / singing when you boot up.
It's not fast, but it works.
CD/DVD spins up occasionally, but it doesn't really bother me too much, the thing gets not enough exercise anyway :mrgreen:
Not 100% sure anymore but may have used iBoot Legacy to get it started. :lol:

Add to the list my Dell Vostro 1710!

The install process was from a 10.6.3 retail disk to the 10.6.8 combo meal. I followed the instructions from this site and all went smoothly with one exception. I added a kext for Sleep, VoodooSleep.kext, which caused an error upon reboot. After a brief panic from the realization that I know NOTHING about an OSX system, I rebooted with the install disk, deleted the offending kext and was back in business after a reboot. After a short search, I found the kexts for the wireless, Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext, battery indicator, VoodooBattery.kext and trackpad, VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext, dropped them into the /Extra/Extensions directory, a reboot and I had wireless, battery indicator and trackpad. Very, very nice!!!

Also, the system would not recognize my iPhone 4 until I updated iTunes to 10.6. I ran Multi-beast after the update and before rebooting, per the instructions. One more reboot and boom baby, I have not looked back!

EDIT-----
After reading other posts I need to provide more detail:

System config:
Processor, T5670, 1.8, 2MB, 2C Core
J485C1 Keyboard, 105
Card, Wireless, Bluetooth
Card, Wireless, Minicard, DW1395 4312BG
Camera Assembly, 1.3M, Liteon Tsingma
Liquid Crystal Display, 17, WideExtended Graphics Array Plus VESA, AU OPTRONICS CORP
Hard Drive, 320GB, S2, 5.4K, 9.5 WD-ML160
Dvd+/-rw, 8X, Ide Sony Nec Optiarc Inc., TS L

What Works - *=after updating the software or adding a kext file
Camera
*Wifi
Ethernet card
*Battery indicator
Audio
*Videos - they worked after the initial install, but only the original size - resizing would get a blank window, but after works fine installing the latest 10.6.8 updates.
*iPhone is recognized only after updating to iTunes 10.6
Screen max resolution is 1440X900, which is what I get with Kubuntu and Windoz
Mouse worked
Trackpad works - but double tap doesn't work
Volume control from the keyboard works
Screen brightness control from keyboard works
Microphone works
DVD eject works - this laptop has a "soft" eject button
Keyboard Song controls work

What doesn't work -
Shutdown down - the system will almost shutdown the drives, display and keyboard lights, but I have to finish the job by holding down the power button until the light on the power button goes out.
Haven't tried Sleep mode - don't really use it.

I have since installed Firefox, Garageband - from iStore, MS Silverlight, LibreOffice, Epson & Canon printer and scanner drivers,  Dropbox, Skype and some tools from the iStore.

The only complaint is that the keyboard functions like cut, paste, home, end "CNTL arrow" don't work the same. And then there are the sounds - this thing barks and growls and spongs and dongs and I have no idea what it means. So, I end up peeling back the windows to find the reason. Not a complaint really, just kinds funny to see how engrained certain keystrokes can become.

I think that's everything
/EDIT-------

Am going to build an iBoot SD card and just leave that in the internal SD card slot to boot from.

Sigh of relief - no more Windows!

My Dell must feel like Donkey on Shrek 1 when he said "You hear that Shrek, she think I'm a steed, she call me a steed." "This OSX call me a Mac Book Pro. It think I'm a Mac Book Pro!" Heh, it is!

Thanx for a great step-by-step.

My wife's laptop is next! :)

Cheers

This is my experience:

Got OS 10.6.8 working on a sony vaio VGN-NS12M (European)
Bios : AMI but locked by sony
Graphics : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430
Kernal : iBoot + multibeast 3.10.1
USB : working
WIFI : not working
Battery : not working but haven't tested voodoo yet
Bluetooth : N/A
Trackpad : working with PS/2 driver from multibeast
Sound : working with voodooHDA 0.2.72
HDMI : N/A
Webcam : working
Sleep : not tested