Contribute
Register

Successful installation including Audio Realtek Alc 888B problem fixed in GA-H61M-HD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000+GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hardware SPECS:
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-HD2
CPU: Intel Celeron CPU G1610 @2.60GHz ivy Bridge
Video AMD Radeon 5450 2GB
RAM DDR3 1600Mhz 8GB x2 Crucial Technology
HDD: SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 in UEFI mode
Audio : Realtech RTL ALC 888B and Logitech Z506 Surround Sound Home Theater Speaker System, External TV Speakers

• macOS HighSierra USB UEFI Installer created in Disk utility using Partition Map: GUID Format: mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  • Ran Terminal command to install downloaded macOS HighSierra from Applications Folder: sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction to copy the system files to the Formatted USB
  • Clover EFI bootloader Clover_v2.4k_r4097 was installed in UEFI mode to the Formatted 16GB USB 3.0 Lexar USB disk with System files.
  • EFI >EFI CLOVER opened and in kexts>Other installed FakeSMC kext and my Ethernet kext, RealtekRTL8111.kext.
  • Made sure in drivers64UEFI folder the following two files OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and VBoxHfs-64.efi were there.
  • ACPI : Removed all the check marks from Fixes the Clover EFI installer had automatically inserted during its installation
  • BOOT:[√] Verbose (-v) [√] dart=0
  • Devices: Fake ID for my ATI Radeon 5450 [68E01002]
  • GUI:
    • Hide Volume :
      • \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
      • Windows
    • Screen Resolution: 1920x1080
    • Language: en
    • Theme:YosemiteLogin
    • Scan:
      • Custom
      • [√] Linux [I have multi-disk Multi-boot in this Computer]
    • Scan
      • [√] Entries
      • [√]Tool
    • Mouse. Double Click

• [√]Enabled
  • Graphics FB Name [Eulemur] [√]Inject ATI for my ATI Radeon 5450
  • Rt Variables Booter config [0x28] CsrActiveConfig [0x67]
  • SMBIOS Product name [iMac14,2]
  • Themes Editor : Loaded YosemiteLogin and Saved
  • Saved edited config.plist
The installation was faster since I could use USB 3.0 Flash drive through Front Panel obtained via PCIE Card with 20 Pin USB connector for the Front Panel USB 3 ports .

Initially I tried to Format SSD using APFS but the Disk did not show up in Clover Boot Manager screen and I realized immediately that I had to use the time-tested mac OS Extended (Journaled) Format to avoid this problem. After this expected snafu, the System installation on the SSD was uneventful.

I had been getting Audio through on-board Realtek ALC 888B in macOSSioerra 10.12.4. HighSierra does not recognize the Audio ALC 888B. I can get it via Logitech USB Speaker.

So far all the rest look the same as macOS Sierra.

I have not tested FaceTime and iMessages

Attachments

• macOS HighSierra _OverView.png
    macOS HighSierra _OverView.png
    100 KB · Views: 400
  • No Realtek ALC888B.png
    No Realtek ALC888B.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
My suggestion is try to install the audio with the Multibeast Realtek ALC888B driver and then restart. If this doesn't work then try Toleda's new Automatic HDMI Audio script.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-automatic-hdmi-audio-script-released.184867/

Thank you for your interest and input into the Sound Problem from failed Realtek ALC 888B kext in macOS Highsierra Beta with my GA-H61M-HD2 Motherboard System.
  • I had tried Multibeast 9.1.0 to install just the Audio alone. Although the Software installed the Realtek kext in /System/Extensions "Successfully", the "System Report...>Hardware>Audio" and "System Preferences >Sound> Output" showed "No Audio Devices" and sound was "Muted"[√] [See uploaded image after I re-did today to take images to document]
  • Today I ran Toleda's CloverHDMI Script > "No support for OS X 10.13" [See image]
  • I used Logitech Z305 USB Speaker>Recognized and Sound working OK
Other observations unrelated to Audio:
  1. EFI Mounter V3 works CC-V latest Crashes
  2. FaceTime and Messages need to be fixed.
  3. Preview Crashes when trying to use "Tools"
  4. "Pinta" for OS X works as good or as bad as in other previous versions of OS X and macOS.
  5. "Stress tests" continue: to compare HighSierra with Sierra 10.12.5 and 10.12.6 Beta

Attachments

• Multibeast9.1.0InstallRTL Alc888B_successful -but No sound.png
    Multibeast9.1.0InstallRTL Alc888B_successful -but No sound.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 337
  • audio_CloverHDMI Script OS X Version 10.13 NOT Supported.png
    audio_CloverHDMI Script OS X Version 10.13 NOT Supported.png
    21 KB · Views: 347
  • logitech Z305 USB Speaker works in macOS High Sierra.png
    logitech Z305 USB Speaker works in macOS High Sierra.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 338
  • RealtekAlc kext in System_Extensions.png
    RealtekAlc kext in System_Extensions.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 290
Err, one question - why are you using High Sierra (10.13)? That is still very new and still in beta mode testing by Apple. I thought you were using Sierra (10.12) instead. That's why the Automatic HDMI script did not work. Try using 10.12.4 or 10.12.5 which would work better on your setup. For the age of the board that you have, I think Sierra is better suited.

Err, one question - why are you using High Sierra (10.13)? That is still very new and still in beta mode testing by Apple. I thought you were using Sierra (10.12) instead. That's why the Automatic HDMI script did not work. Try using 10.12.4 or 10.12.5 which would work better on your setup. For the age of the board that you have, I think Sierra is better suited.
I have in the same System, macOSSierra 10.12.5 and 10.12.6 Beta running very well. :)

I was just testing the new beta macOS HighSierra on this old MoBo+CPU to see how well this system can handle it and report my experience on the Forum.
Thank you.

• I fixed the Audio problem with RealtekALC888b using Toleda's realtekALC.kext downloaded from:
https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC
  • Since Kext Wizard does not work in HighSierra, I used "Kext Utility" to install the downloaded realtekALC.kext
  • When I connected and Powered the Logitech Speakers , Audio became available through that Speaker.
  • Uploaded are the Screen Images:
    • Apple>About This Mac>System Report...>Hardware>Audio
    • System Preferences>Sound
      • Input
      • Output
      • Sound Effects

Attachments

• 2.System Preferences_Sound_Input.png
    2.System Preferences_Sound_Input.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 280
  • 3.System Preferences_Sound_Output.png
    3.System Preferences_Sound_Output.png