Contribute
Register

successful hack, Will it be reliable for professional use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-z87x-D3H
CPU
intel 4670k
Graphics
NVIDIA geforce GTX760
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I have successfully built my first hackintosh. Thanks a to ton to tonymac.

My hardware details follows

intel 4670k
gigabyte z87x-d3h
nvidia geforce GTX760
2x4GB 1600Mzh crosair vengence
120GB SSD

The installation failed when I tried with intel HD4600, but was smooth after i installed the graphics card.

10.9.3 update is working fine. video, audio all are working.

My concern is, can i depend on this machine for my professional work? I am a professional photographer and cinematographer. My work mostly involves Photoshop, lightroom and fcpX. I need a reliable machine for long term.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I have an iMac, a Macbook Pro Retina, a Macbook Air (well t'other half does), a Mac Pro 1,1 that runs ESXI and a Hackintosh. The Hack is as reliable as any of the other Mac's we have. I use my Hack for professional use, it runs a large development system as its UNIX deep down. It also runs FCP X as and when I need it. It's no less reliable and crashes just as much (or as least) as any of the other genuine systems. In fact, I never got sleep to work on my Mac Pro 1,1 at all, but it does on the Hack. YMMV.

I have no issues with running a Hack but I have the advantage of if anything does become a problem I have a safety net, but to be honest I've done this for a few years and not had an issue.

I wouldn't get too bothered about it.

Rob.

Nice system!
I've been relying on my Hackintoshes for professional use since 2008 and never looked back. (I've edited a couple hundred animated TV show episodes almost exclusively on my Hacks since then. My sig system has never had a single day of downtime.) If your machine is stable, you should be off to the races.

My advice for a pro system: keep your work and OS separate. If you haven't already, get a large capacity hard drive (s) and keep all your work saved to it.

And keep a bootable backup of your OS as well. (And keep a clone copy of your OS on the large capacity hard drive (s) as well. Always, always, always have a "backdoor" back into your system in case the unexpected happens in the middle of a deadline.

For example- let's say you've got a project due and the night before you decide to use Software Update and an OS update screws something up to the point you can't boot back into your system, and you don't have a lot of time to waste getting back to where you can complete the project. IF you're prepared for this- it won't ever be anything more than a minor nuisance if it happens.

If you have a bootable clone of your OS- then no sweat, just boot back into that. Better: if you've kept incremental cloned images of your OS and all needed apps on a backup drive (using a tool like Carbon Copy Cloner) you can boot into the backup OS, and restore the OS to your original drive exactly how you last left it- in a couple of minutes. If you've been keeping your work saved to a separate data drive, you can nuke/pave do whatever with your boot drive with no worries what-so-ever of losing any data- OR- just have any work that is on the original boot drive up to date in the backup image.

I take similar measures even on a real Mac, and definitely on a Hackintosh. It's well worth the expense of 1 or two drives just for backup purposes to be certain you'll never have to experience a down machine when you need it, ever. So my advice is always: redundancy, redundancy, redundancy. Use it to your advantage and you'll never go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back