Contribute
Register

Successful conversion of an iMac 2006 into a monitor + still a computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just wanted to share my project, I’ve turned my iMac 2006 into a monitor while still keeping it an all in one computer, basically taking out the internal hard drive and in its place adding an LVDS controller board with an hdmi port and the hdmi cable goes out the memory door opening, and its powered by the SATA power cable from the same original psu, then using the original inverter connected originally for brightness control, the hard drive fan cools the lvds board now and i attached the hdd temperature sensor to the heat sink of the lvds board for easy temperature monitoring with macs fan control and splicing the speakers to a headphone jack cable and having it also go out the memory door, then having the camera spliced to a usb cable go out the memory door, so you can either connect it all to the 2006 from the back and use the same original computer, with a mini DVI to hdmi cable and the camera connected to the usb port and speakers to the headphone jack port, or connect the 3 cables to another computer and have it gain the camera speakers and display of the 2006, so in a way, custom target display mode with the camera! since the lvds controller board is powered by the SATA power cable, it still goes off when you sleep the computer or turns on when you press the power button, so it’s still fully functional as a regular computer and can be booted off an external SSD which besides boot time is still quite fast like an internal one and faster then the original internal hard drive but the screen speakers and camera can easily be connected to another computer to gain its hub functions, while the 2006 runs in the background, see picture for internals

Attachments

• 8B690C69-D2E5-4B7E-8336-118F418DEC6D.jpeg
    8B690C69-D2E5-4B7E-8336-118F418DEC6D.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 805
Here’s another picture of it while it’s on

Attachments

• B4F4F07F-935E-41F4-BC57-702B0FBB446D.jpeg
    B4F4F07F-935E-41F4-BC57-702B0FBB446D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 585
Here’s another picture of it while it’s on
This is impressive, I have the exact same 2006 iMac as you. could you share where you got your LVDS controller board please?.

This is impressive, I have the exact same 2006 iMac as you. could you share where you got your LVDS controller board please?.

thx! that's the board I used for mine :))

Thanks @Zahilla, I got one, should arrive by the middle of August!. Also Idk if you’ve tried this, but yesterday I got Windows to boot without any modification. I had a copy of Windows on a mSATA SSD, which I connected to the iMac via a SATA expansion card. I was planning to install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard onto the mSATA SSD, but Windows booted!. Admittedly it’s not a great experience, but the fact that it worked left me a bit speechless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back