Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ziglen’s Build: i7-3930k - GA-X79-UD5 - 4GB RAM - EVGA GeForce GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have same board as you GA-X79-UD5 with bios v12. I managed to upgrade to 10.8.2, but I now have strange problems with my USB. Mouse navigation works, but clicking is delayed. Keyboard is also not usable. Does anyone else have this sort of problem? Can someone post their BIOS settings? In particular XHCI and EHCI. Perhaps this has something to do with it.

Heyyyyy You're the Man

I followed your instruction and I got everything working (even the back sound panel, dont' ask me how , just work OOB)

but now . some how , after few days . my Bluetooth card came with the board GA-X79-UD5 wasn't working anymore . it show no bluetooth device .

did I mess up something ?

Hi everyone,

everything works find for me we this tutorial, i have almost the same configuration. But i style have a problem with my CPU, cause after rebooting (after multibeast install) my 10.8.2 see my CPU as a Intel Xeon 4 core and it's a i7 3820 - LGA 2011 Socket - 10 Mo - 4 coeurs - 3,60 GHz. is it a dsdt problem? i am a kind of beginner, this is my first build...

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2012-11-10 à 14.54.35.png
    Capture d’écran 2012-11-10 à 14.54.35.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 504
Firstly, a huge shout out to Ziglen for putting this guide together!

At first I had a few issues with crashes at boot (before installing osx) which are now solved!

Issue 01:
I also had to buy the cheap 4GB ram to work

Issue 02:
I had multiple GPU's installed (1 x 640 & 2 x 580's). Once I removed the 2 x 580's and moved the 640 into the topmost slot, everything worked out fine :)

So my advice to anyone attempting this build:
Where possible, use exactly the same hardware as Ziglen, even if it's just to get OSX installed...

I am about to put my original 32GB ram & additional GPU's back in... and I'll update once I'm done. (fingers crossed)

One thing I have noticed is that I am also getting my CPU listed as a Xeon (while it's actually an Intel i7 3930K)... does this have any implication on system performance and/or stability? Ziglen, what does your "About This Mac" have to say about your CPU?

UPDATE:

Okay so I installed the ram and the GPU's but the machine wouldn't boot into MacOSX (just stuck on the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinner)... So I removed the 2 x GTX580 GPU's and it happily booted up just fine! So in conclusion, Ziglen's build works great so far, I just need to work out how to make my additional GPU's work.

UPDATE 2:

So the GTX580's were easy to fix by changing a couple of boot options:
PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Also, I ran a GeekBench test at 64-bit yielding a result of 17146 (which I think is pretty good, right?)

Next step for me will be:
1) Saving system image,
2) Installing production apps (AE, C4D, etc)
3) Testing the real world power and stability of the system.

Wow... lots of posts. Sorry to answer so much later but I've been away so only just saw them.

Throwstone, my processor also shows as a Xeon. I overclocked my processor & had it as high as 4.2 GHz & running just fine based on what I read at another site but decided to scale it back down to 3.75, just under it's suggested maximum. My cpu water cooling would likely keep it cool enuf but I decided I'd rather not risk it.

No idea about the geekbench... I didn't bother with it.

Jiromo... don't worry about what it sees your processor as... as long as it works. We're faking out OSX to believe we have macs so that's what your system is telling it.

Kaidogg... I didn't install the bluetooth that came with my board so I can't advise you on that sorry - I got a 4.0 doggle from IOGear.

UpTide... I think maybe your graphics card is the issue... have you found a solution to your problem yet? You might want to try setting PCIRootUID=1 just as a test or look for another system using that specific card to see what they had to set to make things work.

Whotopia... both XHCI and EHCI should be enabled.

Attachments

• about mac.jpg
    about mac.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 249
I have same board as you GA-X79-UD5 with bios v12. I managed to upgrade to 10.8.2, but I now have strange problems with my USB. Mouse navigation works, but clicking is delayed. Keyboard is also not usable. Does anyone else have this sort of problem? Can someone post their BIOS settings? In particular XHCI and EHCI. Perhaps this has something to do with it.

Yes, it has. Leave the XHCI and EHCI, to your bios default, it should solve your problem.

A-J

Thank you very much for your instructions, worked like a charm for me.. and before that I tried many times.
Overclocking also works fine here. Just need to get rid of my noisy fans.

When I start I get a message screen asking me on which drive to start, is that chimera boot loader, instead of the autostart option?
Also I need to get rid of the RAM placement warning of osx.. it makes no sense.

I can't thank you enough Zig...
This build has been a pain in the butt over the last few days...and your walk through was spot on!

THANK YOU!!!

-James

thank you very much ziglen! :D
everything works perfect with same board and quadro 4000, [email protected], 32gb ram.
i scored 18100 with geekbench :D.

p.s. anyone knows about quadro performance on osx? with win7 64bit and cinebench i have 60 fps. mac version scores 48...

upgraded to 10.8.2 and that killed my installation.. osx doesn't start anymore.. endless wait on boot screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back