Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ziglen’s Build: i7-3930k - GA-X79-UD5 - 4GB RAM - EVGA GeForce GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm still on ver 9 i'll check your dsdt i hope it will work for me.
i dont use the on board card so it doesn't matter.

thanks dude !

Just a quick question, which SATA ports did you use for the SSD Boot disk and the DVD Burner respectively?

Good question to bring up as I forgot about that.

When I first installed everything I had my SSD on a 3.0 SATA because I was reading that OSX is iffy with the 6.0 ones & I'd already spent weeks struggling to get my system running - my patience was worn thin. However as a test afterwards to see if it would work I moved it over to a 6.0 SATA & it's been there ever since - there's been no problems & it seems to work just fine. I left my DVD drive on the 3.0 SATA because I simply don't use it often enough & would rather save my other 6.0 SATA for another SSD when I upgrade.

On a totally separate note, I also made use of the two USB 3.0 ports Gigabyte included as I had an old mounting bracket and drive port cover from a previous computer kicking around. I marked the shape & cut a slightly smaller hole than the size of the USB attachment into the port cover. I then filed away any excess from the cover to get the USB port to fit into it nice & tight, then mounted it into the top DVD drive port of my computer effectively giving me four USB 2.0 and three USB 3.0 ports at the front of my system. As for the wireless network card they included I have yet to do anything with it.

Thanks for the initial guide and the reply...I'm about to setup a similar system so it saves me the trouble of testing each port although I'll probably restore a superduper image to the disk from an existing system.

As for your note...you mentioned on your first post that:
...sees & uses my Bluetooth 4.0, my USB 3.0 ports and my wifi adapter
so the kexts you include enable it?

No Kexts, it works natively.

Although IOGear doesn't specify that it works on a Mac, I found a comment from a user on another site that was looking for a 4.0 bluetooth dongle that would allow his new phone to connect to his old macbook. He decided to gamble on this one because the computer image IOGear showed their dongle attached to he recognized as a new macbook pro.

Based on his comments I decided to give it a try & sure enough, it works :mrgreen:

(OSX doesn't recognize the bluetooth built into my MoBo) Let me correct myself here - I don't know if OSX would support the bluetooth that comes with the board because it's built into the wireless card which I've never installed or tried. I can only suggest giving it a shot & let us know your results.

Yeah sorry about not clarifying...I was mainly referring to the Wifi card...most bluetooth chips work out of the box in OS X anyway...

Actually, most BT chips do not work with OS X which is why we have recommend brand in the Buyers Guide for 2012. Apple only supports the hardware that produces, unlike microsloth which supportS just about every BT, which the mfgr supplies the driver(s).

Actually, most BT chips do not work with OS X which is why we have recommend brand in the Buyers Guide for 2012. Apple only supports the hardware that produces, unlike microsloth which supportS just about every BT, which the mfgr supplies the driver(s).

Could be wrong, I was basing my view on the number of times I've (at least 12 times) used random el cheapo usb BT dongles on my OS X builds (From SL and on)...they always seem to work...

I'm building the same system with X79-UD5, i7-3930K, Gigabyte N660 video card, OCZ vertex SSD 128G, 16GB memory, and I followed the instructions, made a ML 10.8.2 USB stick, replaced the files on the USB, and then try to boot from USB. I replaced memory with 2GB DDR3
I'm getting kernel panic every time.
What could be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back