Contribute
Register

[Success] Z97X-UD5H / i5-4690K / GTX 760 - Upgrade from Mavericks 10.9.5 to Yosemite 10.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD5H, OS X Yosemite
CPU
i5-4690k
Graphics
EVGA GeForce 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, but I want to share some happy news! I just successfully upgraded from Mavericks 10.9.5 to Yosemite 10.10, and am so excited! The system is working great (all USBs confirmed working, wifi is working). Surprisingly I did not run into any issues during the install (save for the audio which I have fixed -- see below).

Previously I had no issues with my Mavericks install aside for Messages not working, but now with Yosemite, that has decided to work too! BONUS!

Preface:
  • When I was on Mavericks I was on the iMac 14,2 system definition.
  • I used the latest Unibeast 5.0.1 and Multibeast 7.0.
  • I did not make any BIOS changes prior to install.

Build Specs:
  • CPU: i5-4690K
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
  • RAM: 16 GB (2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport)
  • Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 760

Generally I followed the Tonymacx86 guide to upgrade.

Here is each step that I did when I did the install.

Steps:
  1. Create bootable Yosemite USB using Unibeast. After this is complete, move Multibeast 7.0 to your USB.
  2. Remove /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext
  3. Edit /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and remove:
    Code:
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
  4. Reboot and press F12 at the BIOS screen. Select your bootable USB.
  5. You will be brought to the Chimera boot screen. Select your USB. I put in the maxmem=4096 flag because I did not remove one of the 2 sticks of ram from my mobo. Alternatively, you can remove all RAM except for 1 stick if you don’t want to use this setting.
  6. The installation should appear and you can install OS X Yosemite over your existing Mavericks drive.
  7. Once the installation is complete, repeat Step #4 (i.e., reboot and press F12).
  8. This time select the drive that you installed Yosemite on (I also put the maxmem=4096 flag here just in case).
  9. Run Multibeast 7 from your USB.
    • I selected ONLY the following:
      1. Bootloaders > Chimera v4.0.0
      2. Customize > Boot Options > Kext Dev Mode
      3. Audio > Realtek ALC1150
      4. Network > AppleIntelE 1000e v3.1.0
  10. Reboot and select your Yosemite drive (if you used maxmem flag then make sure you put this as well: maxmem=______ (your memory size). You will be able to find the exact # on the Chimera boot screen in the top left corner.

You're almost there! At this point, everything should be working great. Now to fix the audio.

The audio wasn’t working after the upgrade even with the Realtek audio patch. I downloaded VoodooHDA v2.8.6. After it is installed, go to System Preferences > Sound > Output > Line-out (green rear).

Voila! Everything works great for me, and hopefully it will for you too. Also, thank you to the tonymacx86 team for getting the guide up so quickly.

I hope this helps, and happy hackintoshing!

Cheers,
robomeesh

Hello robomeesh,

thank you for the guide. I will receive my new Z97X-UD5H in a few days. I'm glad Yosemite is working for you. :)

Under Yosemite your are also on the iMac ,2 system definitions?

Cheers,

Lordi

Hello robomeesh,

thank you for the guide. I will receive my new Z97X-UD5H in a few days. I'm glad Yosemite is working for you. :)

Under Yosemite your are also on the iMac ,2 system definitions?

Cheers,

Lordi

Great choice in motherboard. It has treated me well :)

Yes, under Yosemite I am also using iMac 14,2. When I was upgrading, I did not change the system definition in Multibeast. My setting from Mavericks simply transferred over to Yosemite.

Cheers!

Got problems with my built. :(

Can you please tell me which bios version and date you have on your mobo?

kind regards

Lordi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back