Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Finally, after more than a year of fiddling around with OS X, I've developed an install method for my hardware that lets me have a 100% working copy of Yosemite. It started with Mavericks, and I had given up for a while. Recently I bought new hardware, and decided to give everything a second try with Yosemite. This attempt took a total of 4 days worth of work using resources from here, here, here, and here.

Complete hardware specs are:

Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Intel Core i7 4790k w/Corsair H100i and Noctua NF-F12 PWMs
Reference Nvidia branded GTX 970
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) DDR3 1600 MHz Memory
2 Samsung 840 Evo SSDs, 250 GB each. 1 for OS X, and 1 for Windows.

BIOS Settings are mostly stock. However VT-d is disabled. Intel HD4600 graphics remain enabled, and OS X detects both the Intel and my Nvidia graphics.

1) First I created a Clover USB installer following the exact instructions in the resources I posted above. I'd strongly suggest using Clover instead of Unibeast. Unibeast caused a lot of kernel panics for me, and I found making smbios edits very difficult...and was never able to get iMessage or FaceTime working. I used the default config.plist file.

2) Installed on a fresh, securely erased SSD, then booted into Yosemite with nv_disable=1.

3) Installed Nvidia web drivers, fakeSMC kext, and my ethernet kexts in system/lib/extensions.

4) Rebooted with nv_disable=1, and selected "web drivers" from the Nvidia control panel, then rebooted again without any boot flags into OS X with glorious smooth animations and text that I used to take for granted.

5) Started up clover configurator, set XMP detection to no, unchecked all of the "inject" boxes in the graphics tab, made sure "nvda_drv=1" was still selected in the boot tab, and filled out SMBIOS using iMac 14,2. Also made sure to put in a board ID and a custom UUID. All of these are explained in one of the above resources. This gave me a lot of trouble at first, because I had originally been using iMac 15,1 since it uses the same processor model and seemed the most compatible, but it created major conflicts with the Nvidia drivers that caused me to boot into a black screen.

6) This somehow either broke the permissions of the kexts for my ethernet and fake SMC or they were never right in the first place. I was stuck getting a half load bar but was able to boot with Clover's "without caches and inject kexts" option. Once back in OS X I copied both of these kexts out on to my desktop, and reinstalled them with Kext Wizard, as well as checked to repair the permissions and cache.

And with one more reboot, everything works flawlessly. Couldn't be happier! :thumbup:

Awesome!!! After reading through the articles and consolidating the plan, was able to successfully install it!

same MB, processor, video card. Also used the TL-WDN4800 wifi card, which worked out of box. Wonderful. Had been fighting with the setup for 2 days.

**NOTE - if audio not working, google "Yosemite: Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA by toleda" and you should find instructions to get the audio card working. Method #3 was the one I used, and it worked swimmingly.

ENJOY!!!!

I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

ColeThePilot
Hey :)

Could you please attached the config.plist you used to install Yosemite? Mine is not working, and i'm trying hard.

I need a little help here :)
I have the same configuration as yours

Thanks for sharing.
As I've ordered almost the same components, ... your do and don't might reveal to be quite helpful :)

Q: What's the benefit of keeping the Intel HD4600 graphics enabled when you're using a discreet GPU anyway?

I'll keep you posted regarding my next week-ends el cap' install session.

cu,
kochi

Thanks a lot.
I was trying to install El Capitan but couldnt succeed :)
Did you tried it yourself ?

btw: El Capitan is up and running!

- Gigabyte 97x-UD5H (F10 bios)
- i7 4790K
- GTX 970 (MSI)
- Installed on a m2 SSD (Transcend MTS400)

I've basically followed Tonymac's El Capitan guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

... and applied ColeThePilot's precious hints.

Pretty flawless installation process.

:)

P.S. : Just waiting for the next Multibeast release for FakeSMC plugins support :)

P.S.2. : I've ignored the onboard audio part as I use an external sound card (focusrite) anyway.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 21.13.31.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 21.13.31.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 204
I'm gonna add that for me Step 4 is wrong. Same hardware, running 10.10.5(14F1509) I could install the Web Drivers, but they would not load until after I set the System Definition to iMac14,2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back