Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Yosemite to Sierra - Asus Sabertooth X79 (10.13.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dnovosad
I
Used this guide to do a fresh install Sierra/Clover on the Asus Sabertooth x79. After some pain and suffering and a bunch of reading I've managed to install this. Imagine this: Ethernet started to work immediately! External FireWire sound card Presonus FireBox also worked with no additional drivers!!! Nvidia 1050ti works after installing Webdriver! Amazing!!!

There are 2 small issues I'm still trying to figure out:
1. 3930k processor is not recognized
2. I sometimes get an error saying something about not shutting off properly.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 228
@dnovosad I'm wondering, if I do the update to High Sierra or Mojave now via app store, would it break anything? Would I have to mess with Clover or anything, or it would just continue to work?

Thanks for the amazing guide!

@dnovosad I'm wondering, if I do the update to High Sierra or Mojave now via app store, would it break anything? Would I have to mess with Clover or anything, or it would just continue to work?

Thanks for the amazing guide!
I'm not an expert at all but I think the most far you can go with this Sabertooth X79 config is to High Sierra. As well as NVIDIA graphic cards are no longer supported by Mojave and there are no alternate drives for them. So...
You can step up to Hagh Sierra but I suspect that would be better to do a fresh install rather than an ordinary upgrade.

Cheers, man and welcome to the Sabertooth X79 clan. (But I suspect that we´re all alone here now, all the others are so silent :rolleyes:)

Hey there! so is the sabertooth clan still active? Where you guys able to get to mojave? I may be get a sabertooth myself and i wanted to know how it still stands in 2019.
we X79ers should stick united :p !

Hey there! so is the sabertooth clan still active? Where you guys able to get to mojave? I may be get a sabertooth myself and i wanted to know how it still stands in 2019.
we X79ers should stick united :p !
Hi!
I don't know what is the use you want to give to your X79 setup. But if I were you I probably would choose another build more up to date.
Personally I'm just waiting two or three new generations of chipsets and macOS versions to build a new Hackintosh all new. Meanwhile I'm still doing my day by day work on my Sabertooth X79 just to take all that it can give. :D

Hi there!
Actually in the meantime i ordered a Deluxe... :oops:(Asus X79 Deluxe). it was a bargain, i am waiting for it next week. So probably this is going off topic ... but still it is the same family, so why not have a chat;)
This is my main rig and it will still be. I know X79 is a pain for custom mac but it has grown in me through the years and i find it really fast still nowadays. I use it mostly for web design and development, audio editing for my band and some video editing as well. Off course i got a windows ssd+hdd for games...
The main thing here (and the reason i wrote in this topic), is that i got a 1680 V2 in order "to take all that my X79 can give", as you said above, but it turned out my gigabyte does not support the CPU. So instead of giving up, i got me the deluxe. :headbang:

So do you run mojave? Sabretooth is very close to Deluxe as far as i can see, so i guess i could start with some DSDTs from here and move my way in to the deluxe.
Any other things to watch for with an Asus X79 mobo?
Any advice actually would be great :)

Thanks for taking the time @Gogen

Hey guys. I haven’t been able to check on the thread for awhile but happy to see you're keeping it alive. You guys are awesome!! :headbang:

Yesterday, I ended up with boot failing at FIPS. I spent all morning trying to understand what happened. I haven’t done anything major to my hackintosh and it was quite a surprise. Trying to fix it, I forgot just about everything - boot flags, how to navigate bootable USB and hence why I am here. :think:

FIPS - my understanding is that system believes the hardware has failed. One thread was talking about RAM so I followed up on it and removed mine (64GB below Noctua D14). Tried with one stick obviously no luck. I was quite mad when it didn’t work but at least I cleaned my radiator lol. Anyways, got it all back together and thought it was time to ether check disk utility, recover or reinstall all together.

I found my Sierra OS USB still original from this thread. I kept it safe inside my computer case. Just have so much on my Mac side that it would send me to oblivion if I messed it up. But, I ended up trying to boot from USB and omg lol I forgot how to do it. I thought hey clover > pick USB and done but that thing wouldn’t budge. I timed out every time at ‘XMP change to bootstrap’. It took me forever to figure it out that USB has a separate clover and if you are loading from it you need to hit F8 and load USB in UEFI. I am telling you it was so dumb and yet so amazing. I was like THANK YOU UNIVERSE haha

But trying to boot OS using USB’s clover would still result in FIPS. That gave me an idea that it wasn’t necessarily the hardware (windows side was fine) or bad clover settings (USB was intact with Sierra on it) but rather something else altogether. I figured since my system was running straight for the past 3 days, Norton must've scanned the system and removed files it thought were threats.

To test this, I basically tried repairing disk first. The disk was okay. So the next step was booting recovery and using time machine. The first try I used image that was within the 3 days of system ruining and like I predicted it failed. I had to go with an even older recovery image and after half an hour it was all back to normal.

So yeah if you have Norton and you hit FIPS, you know what do. I kept Norton because of the aggressive firewall and I have 5 license and only 4 systems using it so i was like what the hell I'll install on my hackintosh. I might get it back but I need to find a way to restrict what it does when I am not around.

///////// With regards to updating //////////

I am waiting for MacPro 2019. I think it’s going to be much more inclusive system and it could be used for our setups. I am thinking to buy small SSD and another usb to sort of learn/install whatever is going to come with MacPro 2019. Remember that our hack is running on iMac 14.2 platform. That's why so many of us are having issues. There is a way to custom patch DSDT but if you don't know what you are doing that is like learning new language. MacPro 2019 is big system and it might allow more hardware compatibility and it could make transition easier. It cloud also be the opposite because now that they are using encryption chip, the system might not be able to verify what we have and bypassing it could mean finding a work around that might not be available.

Also since I don't have a another Mac having Sierra stable means I can go back and tweak settings. If I can get the system up and running in my spare SSD that means I can update. There is also AFS file conversion and I don't know how that plays into the update but hey at least if I fail, I know I have my working test SSD that I can use.

One last thing, I might consider going with Apple and maybe adding my Windows NVMe to it. This might be better overall option. I work on Mac side and only play on Windows. If I can get 60fps on mac in CSGO - I am happy ;)

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 3.11.25 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi there!
Actually in the meantime i ordered a Deluxe... :oops:(Asus X79 Deluxe). it was a bargain, i am waiting for it next week. So probably this is going off topic ... but still it is the same family, so why not have a chat;)
This is my main rig and it will still be. I know X79 is a pain for custom mac but it has grown in me through the years and i find it really fast still nowadays. I use it mostly for web design and development, audio editing for my band and some video editing as well. Off course i got a windows ssd+hdd for games...
The main thing here (and the reason i wrote in this topic), is that i got a 1680 V2 in order "to take all that my X79 can give", as you said above, but it turned out my gigabyte does not support the CPU. So instead of giving up, i got me the deluxe. :headbang:

So do you run mojave? Sabretooth is very close to Deluxe as far as i can see, so i guess i could start with some DSDTs from here and move my way in to the deluxe.
Any other things to watch for with an Asus X79 mobo?
Any advice actually would be great :)

Thanks for taking the time @Gogen

Hey man, just like most of us here it's gonna be trial and error. Work with setting up USB first and try the DSDT we used for enabling USBs at boot. IF you are doing clean install you should be okay. Most of us migrated from Chimera and it was much more tricky. I think you will succeed. just make sure you have separate SSD for OSX. Let us know how it goes. Audio won't work so get cheap USB audio card; same thing for USB3. At least it doesn't work on my rig even after trying some crazy alien stuff lol

Last edited:
Ah the curse of the carefully-setup-custom-mac combined with the do-not-update-what-is-working directive ... and then one day you have forgotten everything... I never been there cause i like to get my hands dirty all the time with my custom mac, but i can feel your pain. Still, you made it, so you are cool! And it is like bicycle. It comes right back after a while. Plus the hours that you lost searching for the cause are waaaaaaay less than the hours you would have lost if you had done all the updates one by one from Sierra to Mojave 14.6. Even so that you are on X79 platform:rolleyes:
Still, you missed the ... dark mode. . .:mrgreen:
Hey man, just like most of us here it's gonna be trial and error. Work with setting up USB first and try the DSDT we used for enabling USBs at boot. IF you are doing clean install you should be okay. Most of us migrated from Chimera and it was much more tricky. I think you will succeed. just make sure you have separate SSD for OSX. Let us know how it goes. Audio won't work so get cheap USB audio card; same thing for USB3. At least it doesn't work on my rig even after trying some crazy alien stuff lol
1.5 month and dozens of hours of trial and error later, i managed to make it work, and it works great. And i love it!
I got everything on this post in case anyone wants to jump to 1680v2, which can be a great low cost upgrade (brilliant processor, completely incompatible .....:crazy:) but with this great community EVERYTHING is possible.
Everything works except of sleep(it's a X79 ...), bluetooth and 4 out of 15 or 16 usb ports (i ve yet to create a SSDT for USB and i think i will be super). So it is good, very good.
So for anyone that has given ups hope on X79 i say rethink it! The platform still rocks.

I feel you bud. I am going to play with it when I have time. I just use the system everyday and can't afford downtime. Mojave doesn't support Nvidia and AFS could do havoc to my licenses. Sierra is comfortable at the moment and it supports my 980ti. But as soon as MacPro is out, I will pick up the speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back