Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Yosemite to Sierra - Asus Sabertooth X79 (10.13.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth x79
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
GTX 980ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi guys!

I finally got my system up and running after four days of sheer madness :banghead: trying to update from Yosemite/Chimera to Sierra/Clover. The good news is - it works!

View media item 188914
I know there is a lot, especially when you dive into Clover, but I hope you find this guide helpful.

First thing first, Sabertooth x79 USBs WILL NOT work when try reaching Sierra installer. You will need patched DSDT.aml which I will attach in this guide. The DSDT was created by sti555 on another forum.

SETUP AND TESTING:

1) Begin with creating Sierra OS bootable drive by following official installation guide. In UniBeast Pick UEFI Boot Mode.

Note: UniBeast creates Clover EFI on the USB which I will go over in step 3.

View media item 188915
2) Make sure to read Clover Basics and Switching Advice but don't do anything and come back to this guide.
How to Create a Test USB for Clover using UniBeast
How to Backup and Remove Chimera and any Related Files

3) You have to test Clover Bootloader from the USB before you backup kexts and remover Chimera!!!

How? When you created Sierra OS bootable USB - there is hidden EFI partition with Clover files. You can access them by installing Clover Configurator. Open Cover Configurator > click Mount EFI > bottom half > look for your USB, in my case I have EFI on EFI, Sierra OS > on the right there is Mount Partition > Click it.

View media item 188916
You should have EFI mounted and appear on the desktop - This is your Clover EFI partition created by UniBeast.

GET FAMILIAR:
Find CLOVER > ACPI > patched > You will put here DSDT when you are ready to install, skip for now.
Find kext > Other > Here are basic kexts to get your system running, don't remove anything but you can add kexts that are absolutely essential to your setup. (remember this is only bootable USB don't put things like VoodooTSCSync.kext or
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA here, all that is after the install)

Find config.plist > this is like org.chameleon.Boot.plist but for Clover > open it with Clover Configurator > just right click on it and Open With > Go to Boot > check -v, npci=0x2000 or 3000 whichever you have in Yosemite, dart=0 > in Custom Flags write GraphicsEnabler=No if you have GTX 9xx 10xx series • (optional) uncheck nv_disable=1 & nvda_drv=1 we'will input them in Clover bootloader which I will go over in details next.
Make sure to save your changes > 4 icons next to Donate button > second one is export > save.

4) Ready to test? > Restart > F8 > pick (UEFI) USB > you should now load into Clover Bootloader > left-right arrows to navigate > Options, here you can add additional boot flags like cpus=1 > How? just click with the mouse or hit enter and start typing (mouse won't work until you hit enter again, don't freak out) > Return > navigate to Boot OS from "OS drive" > hit spacebar > here you can tweak quick flags like -v or nv_disable=1 > remember (optional)? > since this is a boot USB, I for example have my graphic flags unchecked in config.plist but use them here depending on what I am doing: nvda_drv=1 to load the drivers or if I am installing OS I check nv_disable=1 (gives you a little control) > since this is a Test and we want everything to work check nvda_drv=1 > when you done hit load with these options > be patient > You should now be able to load into you existing Yosemite.

BACKUP AND REMOVING CHIMERA:
5) If everything works and you got through > go to Clover Basics and Switching Advice and follow instructions How to Backup and Remove Chimera and any Related Files. (Remove Chimera bootloader as well.)
Remember, this is a critical step.

If you have Ev0reboot.kext - remember that it doesn't work in Sierra. You won't be able to restart. The system will freeze. I am working on finding a fix as well. You will just have to power down and power up as a work around.

6) Use Clover Configurator to get to EFI partition on USB and put attached DSDT.aml into CLOVER > ACPI > patched. (IMPORTANT)

This will ensure your USB2 ports work during installation.

INSTALL:
7) Kexts moved, extra folder moved, chimera removed, dsdt added. Check, double check > RESTART!

F8 > (UEFI) USB > navigate to Boot OS from "install OSX" Spacebar, check flag cpus=1, nv_disable=1 >
hit load with these options > should be good, but If you end up stuck - see what code says, google stuff, some flags like PCIRootUID=1, kext-dev-mode=1, rootless=0, -f might help - keep using cpus=1, nv_disable=1 tho. But if you see DSMOS has arrived you are good just let it load.

8) If you see Language screen you know you made it :)

9) After OS install (about 30min) and restart > hit F8 > (UEFI) USB > navigate to Boot OS from "OS drive"
This flag could help if you are having issues: nv_disable=1. Try without it first or go for nvda_drv=1.
But like the test you did with Yosemite, Sierra should load without problems.

10) Post install with MultiBeast same way you did with USB > Pick UEFI Boot Mode, install drivers, kexts, SSDT, SMBIOS is iMAC 14.2 (Otherwise Nvidia Drivers won't work). When everything is installed. Open Cover Configurator > click Mount EFI > This time find [Current Boot Disk] (Your OSX Drive) > find CLOVER > ACPI > patched > put DSDT.aml here.

You don't need to put any kexts into Other folder anymore (notice it is empty) because now that the OSX is running everything goes into /Library/Extensions (This part was only necessary for USB). > Update Nvidia Web Drivers > Open config.plist in Cover Configurator > boot flags: -v, npci=0x2000, darkwake=0, dart=0 nvda_drv=1, kext-dev-mode=1, roootless=0 > custom flags: GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 (optional).

11) Install VoodooPS2Controller.kext (attached) with Kext Utility, let Kext Utility repair permissions (does it automatically).

12) Remeber, restart doesn't work make sure to not put back
Ev0reboot.kext (delete it if you have it) > remove USB > power down > power up > go to bios > advance > boot > select UEFI SSD as main boot option > F10, save > Should go to Colver and load OSX.

DONE! :headbang:

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    40.1 KB · Views: 920
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip
    79.5 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Hi guys!

I finally got my system up and running after four days of sheer madness :banghead: trying to update from Yosemite/Chimera to Sierra/Clover. The good news is - it works!

View media item 188914
I know there is a lot, especially when you dive into Clover, but I hope you find this guide helpful.

First thing first, Sabertooth x79 USBs WILL NOT work when try reaching Sierra installer. You will need patched DSDT.aml which I will attach in this guide. The DSDT was created by sti555 and is from this posting. :thumbup:

SETUP AND TESTING:

1) Begin with creating Sierra OS bootable drive by following official installation guide. In UniBeast Pick UEFI Boot Mode.

Note: UniBeast creates Clover EFI on the USB which I will go over in step 3.

View media item 188915
2) Make sure to read Clover Basics and Switching Advice but don't do anything and come back to this guide.
How to Create a Test USB for Clover using UniBeast
How to Backup and Remove Chimera and any Related Files

3) You have to test Clover Bootloader from the USB before you backup kexts and remover Chimera!!!

How? When you created Sierra OS bootable USB - there is hidden EFI partition with Clover files. You can access them by installing Clover Configurator. Open Cover Configurator > click Mount EFI > bottom half > look for your USB, in my case I have EFI on EFI, Sierra OS > on the right there is Mount Partition > Click it.

View media item 188916
You should have EFI mounted and appear on the desktop - This is your Clover EFI partition created by UniBeast.

GET FAMILIAR:
Find CLOVER > ACPI > patched > You will put here DSDT when you are ready to install, skip for now.
Find kext > Other > Here are basic kexts to get your system running, don't remove anything but you can add kexts that are absolutely essential to your setup. (remember this is only bootable USB don't put things like VoodooTSCSync.kext or
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA here, all that is after the install)

Find config.plist > this is like org.chameleon.Boot.plist but for Clover > open it with Clover Configurator > just right click on it and Open With > Go to Boot > check -v, npci=0x2000 or 3000 whichever you have in Yosemite, dart=0 > in Custom Flags write GraphicsEnabler=No if you have GTX 9xx 10xx series • (optional) uncheck nv_disable=1 & nvda_drv=1 we'will input them in Clover bootloader which I will go over in details next.
Make sure to save your changes > 4 icons next to Donate button > second one is export > save.

4) Ready to test? > Restart > F8 > pick (UEFI) USB > you should now load into Clover Bootloader > left-right arrows to navigate > Options, here you can add additional boot flags like cpus=1 > How? just click with the mouse or hit enter and start typing (mouse won't work until you hit enter again, don't freak out) > Return > navigate to Boot OS from "OS drive" > hit spacebar > here you can tweak quick flags like -v or nv_disable=1 > remember (optional)? > since this is a boot USB, I for example have my graphic flags unchecked in config.plist but use them here depending on what I am doing: nvda_drv=1 to load the drivers or if I am installing OS I check nv_disable=1 (gives you a little control) > since this is a Test and we want everything to work check nvda_drv=1 > when you done hit load with these options > be patient > You should now be able to load into you existing Yosemite.

BACKUP AND REMOVING CHIMERA:
5) If everything works and you got through > go to Clover Basics and Switching Advice and follow instructions How to Backup and Remove Chimera and any Related Files. (Remove Chimera bootloader as well.)
Remember, this is a critical step.

If you have Ev0reboot.kext - remember that it doesn't work in Sierra. You won't be able to restart. The system will freeze. I am working on finding a fix as well. You will just have to power down and power up as a work around.

6) Use Clover Configurator to get to EFI partition on USB and put attached DSDT.aml into CLOVER > ACPI > patched. (IMPORTANT)

This will ensure your USB2 ports work during installation.

INSTALL:
7) Kexts moved, extra folder moved, chimera removed, dsdt added. Check, double check > RESTART!

F8 > (UEFI) USB > navigate to Boot OS from "install OSX" Spacebar, check flag cpus=1, nv_disable=1 >
hit load with these options > should be good, but If you end up stuck - see what code says, google stuff, some flags like PCIRootUID=1, kext-dev-mode=1, rootless=0, -f might help - keep using cpus=1, nv_disable=1 tho. But if you see DSMOS has arrived you are good just let it load.

8) If you see Language screen you know you made it :)

9) After OS install (about 30min) and restart > hit F8 > (UEFI) USB > navigate to Boot OS from "OS drive"
This flag could help if you are having issues: nv_disable=1. Try without it first or go for nvda_drv=1.
But like the test you did with Yosemite, Sierra should load without problems.

10) Post install with MultiBeast same way you did with USB > Pick UEFI Boot Mode, install drivers, kexts, SSDT, SMBIOS is iMAC 14.2 (Otherwise Nvidia Drivers won't work). When everything is installed. Open Cover Configurator > click Mount EFI > This time find [Current Boot Disk] (Your OSX Drive) > find CLOVER > ACPI > patched > put DSDT.aml here.

You don't need to put any kexts into Other folder anymore (notice it is empty) because now that the OSX is running everything goes into /Library/Extensions (This part was only nesesary for USB). > Update Nvidia Web Drivers > Open config.plist in Cover Configurator > boot flags: -v, npci=0x2000, darkwake=0, dart=0 nvda_drv=1, kext-dev-mode=1, roootless=0 > custom flags: GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 (optional).

11) Install VoodooPS2Controller.kext (attached) with Kext Utility, let Kext Utility repair permissions (does it automatically).

12) Remeber, restart doesn't work make sure to not put back
Ev0reboot.kext (delete it if you have it) > remove USB > power down > power up > go to bios > advance > boot > select UEFI SSD as main boot option > F10, save > Should go to Colver and load OSX.

DONE! :headbang:

This is amazing work man... been looking for a guide like this... I will try your guide soon I get a chance... thank you.

First of all, thank you very much, dnovosad. I've successfully installed macOS Sierra on my computer thanks to this detailed post. But I'm having some issues, and I hope you can help me.

I couldn't make my USB 3 work, and I have no audio at all. And something curious: In "About this Mac" appears a 3,6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon as a processor instead of the Intel Core i7 3820 3,6 GHz I've got installed. It could be a problem?

For the USB 3 issue I tried following this tip here:
but it didn't work for me...

In audio I'm still searching for the answer.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gogen, congrats and thanks man! Glad you found my guide helpful.

The USB issue, I totally feel your pain. I still don't have USB 3 support - I followed that exact guide from youtube and got nowhere lol. I think after switching it's just too much to get done at once and brains just does not compute. :crazy: I will try to spend sometime in the next few weeks and see what I can do. The things is with SMBIOS 14.2 only first 4 usb ports work. I have two on the front panel and first 2 at the rear of the motherboard - those are the only ones working at the moment.

Also audio, that is widespread issue - I have audio interface and I get the sound that way. I would recommend getting something cheap and just run the audio through USB.

I am going to update this post when I get something going with USB 3 and all other ports. It's something I was looking forward to fixing.

Stay tuned and Cheers!

@Gogen, congrats and thanks man! Glad you found my guide helpful.

The USB issue, I totally feel your pain. I still don't have USB 3 support - I followed that exact guide from youtube and got nowhere lol. I think after switching it's just too much to get done at once and brains just does not compute. :crazy: I will try to spend sometime in the next few weeks and see what I can do. The things is with SMBIOS 14.2 only first 4 usb ports work. I have two on the front panel and first 2 at the rear of the motherboard - those are the only ones working at the moment.

Also audio, that is widespread issue - I have audio interface and I get the sound that way. I would recommend getting something cheap and just run the audio through USB.

I am going to update this post when I get something going with USB 3 and all other ports. It's something I was looking forward to fixing.

Stay tuned and Cheers!

Thank you very much for your reply.
I'm not an expert of any kind on this subject but...you mentioned that the USB issue is due to the SMBIOS 14.2. What about changing that to other model with more USB ports and 3.0 and such... Do you think that could work or just could make things go worse?

Thanks to your guide, I was able to update my Sabertooth x79 from Yosemite -> Sierra! I appreciate the details and thorough guide.

I had problems trying to boot using EFI, so i had to resort to Legacy Boot mode, otherwise, all went well according to your guide. For those of you having problem with audio, I was able to resolve it using this guide:

One problem I'm experiencing is audio through Bluetooth. I'm able to connect to Bluetooth (and use the Bluetooth mouse), but my headset - which connects successfully- fails to output any sound. If anyone has experienced this and was able to resolve it, i'd appreciate any input.

Thanks again, and glad to see there are at least 4 of us with this dinosaur of a motherboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to your guide, I was able to update my Sabertooth x79 from Yosemite -> Sierra! I appreciate the details and thorough guide.

I had problems trying to boot using EFI, so i had to resort to Legacy Boot mode, otherwise, all went well according to your guide. For those of you having problem with audio, I was able to resolve it using this guide:

One problem I'm experiencing is audio through Bluetooth. I'm able to connect to Bluetooth (and use the Bluetooth mouse), but my headset - which connects successfully- fails to output any sound. If anyone has experienced this and was able to resolve it, i'd appreciate any input.

Thanks again, and glad to see there are at least 4 of us with this dinosaur of a motherboard!

Hey! It´s good to know that exists more of us dealing with this MOBO.
I tried the method on the video you recomended but I still have no sound. I don´t know what I´m doing wrong or what. I´m thinking on giving up and buy an external solution...

Thanks anyway.

If you have any improvement on your installation please let us know.

Cheers!

I have just installed High Sierra on this motherboard. Everything is working stable and smoothly for me. No audio, but I use a MOTU 828Mk2 audio interface anyway, so that doesn't bother me . and not tried the available fixes for that to test. However, the one thing that I cannot get to work is USB 2 ports, and I could not get these to work on Sierra either. Do they work fine on yours? And if so, how did you manage to get them working?

Cheers!

Congrats Bunford! Did you update from Sierra or was it a clean install? I'd like to update my Sierra as well.

Are you referring to USB2 or 3? For me (on Sierra at least), I had no problem with USB2 following dnovosad's original directions (using the DSDT).

Hey guys it's been ages - no usb fix for me. I been using 4 ports that are active on the system. I am about to upgrade to high sierra. I'll let you know if anything changes. I'll look up the USBs problem maybe this time around i can figure it out. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back