Contribute
Register

SUCCESS Yosemite> Project Heat Build: i7-4960X - Rampage IV Black - MSI Gtx 980 x3 way SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Project Heat
CPU
4960X at 4.875ghz
Graphics
MSI Gaming GTX 980 x3
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all, I have been using it as one of my primary resources for about the last 6 months to a year!

A little back story, then we will cut to the chase, about a year ago, I needed a new computer for music production, and was looking into a mac pro, but just couldn't stomach spending that much money, so i reached out to someone who is now a close friend of mine for some help building my first CustoMac. It was a 4770k on a pretty generic gigabyte motherboard with a gtx 760, so your very basic build.

Well it worked great and i was hooked. (especially since it was overclockable, and i used to build gaming pc's and am pretty familiar with overclocking, which ill speak more about later) Now, that build is long gone and I have something much more interesting to share with you.

Project Heat:
Motherboard: Rampage IV Black
CPU: Intel 4960x (currently at a mild 4.5ghz, have pushed up to 4.875ghz stable on the pc side)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 2400mhz
GPU: 3 MSI Gaming GTX 980 (they are in sli for the pc side of things)
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i
Cooling: Custom water loop, 360mm radiator with ek cpu block and pump

It is running OS 10.10 Yosemite with minimal issues! Let me know if you have any questions!

Will Post Better Pics Later, i only had my cell phone at the time

SUCCESS Yosemite (My first post), Project Heat Build 4960x Rampage IV Black MSI Gtx 980 x3 way sli

Pretty awesome rig. Do you have 4k monitors? Those 3 way SLi 980s is overkill for anything else.

They're ROG Swift P278q's running 2560x1440 at 144hz. And i do benchmarking on the pc side of things, along with a decent amount of gaming. So i wouldnt necessarily call them overkill.

Did Yosemite detect sli mode on those cards no problem ? I have ROG Striker GTX760 and I'm planning to add one more .. Did you encounter any issues?
Your PC is a killer :) Great job.
Thank you
George

I have a Rampage IV (previous version - not Black) and was not able to get sound working at all under Yosemite. Can you share your MB settings?

Great build! Thanks for sharing.

I am having some major trouble with my build. First off, it won't boot unless I unplug the HDMI cable. Also, no audio from front panel connector, and some crashing issues. Can you post your motherboard settings and your install method?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back