Contribute
Register

[Success] Yosemite on Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L + Nvidia GTS250

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm completely new at this. First time even trying this. I'm assuming is it impossible to install High Sierra with this motherboard, correct? I would like to add a MSI GTX 760 4gb. Is this possible ? Thank you all for your info.

As @BreBo said, you will need your profile to get assistance in this forum. After that, you'll find that High Sierra works great on the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L. I'd recommend reading all the posts in this thread.

Just for kicks, I added an IOCrest PCIe SATA III card to my GA-G31M-S2L ($20 on Newegg) and performed a fresh install of High Sierra (APFS) with Clover (Legacy) and apfs.efi in CLOVER/drivers64 folder. TRIM is now enabled on the SATA III SSD, the Mac boots/runs fast and High Sierra runs perfectly. Performed High Sierra install by creating a High Sierra install USB with CLOVER (Legacy), custom DSDT/SSDT, config.plist, kexts from my Sierra build.

The GA-G31M-S2L is still a great motherboard for MacOS. My system config is now as follows:
  • Motherboard: GA-G31M-S2L (BIOS F10f)
  • OSX: High Sierra 10.13.6 (APFS)
  • CLOVER (Legacy): 4658 (APFSDriverLoader-64.efi in drivers64)
  • CPU: Xeon E5450 (Socket 771 > 775 conversion) (CPU Voltage manually changed to 1.1250 in BIOS)
  • Memory: 8GB DDR2-800 (2x4GB)
  • Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600GTS (web driver 387.10.10.10.40.105)
  • Storage: 256GB SATA III SSD / IOCrest PCIe SATA III (Marvel chipset) - TRIM Enabled

I have a working GA-G31M-ES2L system with 8GB and an SSD connected to the motherboard that has run everything from Snow Leopard (using an EVA GT430) to Sierra (current, now using a GT710) successfully with the exception of getting sound to work properly on the analog ports in El Capitan/Sierra. VoodooHDA 2.8.9 does seem to recognize HDMI sound, but I haven't been able to make this work on the analog ports. I get around this using Bluetooth sound. So far, so good.

I saw your comment about getting Trim to work using the IOCrest PCIe card, so I thought that I would give it a try but I seem to have hit a snag understanding how you got it to work.

To minimize issues, I am trying to do a Unibeast fresh install using the same IOCrest PCIe card and all went well until the reboot after Multibeast installation. Upon reboot I get tossed into a basic BIOS type boot screen that seems to be from the IOCrest card that doesn't seem to do anything. I can reboot using the installer USB.

Understanding that this post is a bit old, please try to recall what you did to make this card work and provide a step by step on how you got the Clover legacy bootloader to recognize the card. I think my system isn't recognizing the APFSDriverLoader-64.efi. I have learned the basics, but I am not always able to understand the shorthand comments and instructions sometimes used on the forum, so I am guessing that I missed a step or two along the way.

Any guidance you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
@kobi001 - I didn't do anything "special" to install the IOCrest PCIe card. However, I did not use any of the "Beast" utilities. My install was with the "vanilla" macOS installer USB (with Clover legacy bootloader).

@kobi001 - I didn't do anything "special" to install the IOCrest PCIe card. However, I did not use any of the "Beast" utilities. My install was with the "vanilla" macOS installer USB (with Clover legacy bootloader).

Please explain what you mean by "vanilla " macOS installer. Do you mean that you prepped a Unibeast installation USB and used it to install and just installed Clover after the installation completed? If so, then should I use the latest Clover Legacy edition (4961)?

Please clarify.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
@kobi001 I did not use Unibeast or any "Beast." I prepared a macOS installation USB according to Apple's instructions and then installed CLOVER (legacy) on the USB. I booted from the macOS installation USB and installed directly using the Apple macOS installer (no other tools).

@deeveedee Thank you for the additional help. I can't seem to get the boot loader to work with the Unibeast installation method (no Mulitbeast) so I'll give the vanilla method a try.

@deeveedee Thank you for the additional help. I can't seem to get the boot loader to work with the Unibeast installation method (no Mulitbeast) so I'll give the vanilla method a try.
My SATA card is the IO Crest SI-PEX 40064 installed in the PCI-e x1 slot. Before I installed macOS on my system with the add-on SATA card, I had installed macOS when my SATA drive was plugged directly into one of the motherboard SATA ports (no TRIM). If you want to eliminate variables, you could first try your macOS installation without the SATA card. Then you should be able to move your drive to one of the IO Crest SATA ports and boot from it.

My SATA card is the IO Crest SI-PEX 40064 installed in the PCI-e x1 slot. Before I installed macOS on my system with the add-on SATA card, I had installed macOS when my SATA drive was plugged directly into one of the motherboard SATA ports (no TRIM). If you want to eliminate variables, you could first try your macOS installation without the SATA card. Then you should be able to move your drive to one of the IO Crest SATA ports and boot from it.

I am using the same card in the same slot. I am also using an older OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II SSD that does support trim, but it is not showing up in the system settings. I will clone the drive to a larger SATA III drive once I get some of the the kinks worked out. Did you have to force trim on your drive? I know the Vertex 2 was an early implementation of trim. I will be cloning to

After making the the vanilla installer you recommended and understanding that I could just install Clover, to salvage time already invested, I tried to tweak the Clover install and reboot one last time before giving up and starting over. This time it worked. I did the following after creating the Unibeast installation media and installing the boot drive on the first port of the I/O Crest card:
  • Follow Unibeast installation instructions but stopped before the Multibeast step. I did not use Multibeast.
  • Install the Clover Legacy package to the boot drive on the I/O Crest SATA card. I used Clover_v2.5k_r5099.pkg and customize the installation. I used these settings:
    • Install Clover in the ESP
    • Boot Sectors:
      • Install boot0af in MBR
    • Clover for BIOS (legacy) booting:
      • Clover EFI 64-abits BiosBlockIO
    • Recommended drivers & UEFI Drivers: left these all checked, but meant to uncheck AudioDxe...it didn't help with on-board audio.
    • File System Drivers
      • ApfsDriverLoader
    • Install Clover Preference Pane
    • Install Themes
It would be interesting to know what settings you used in Clover. Anything you might recommend that I should add/remove? I am going to try to remove the AudioDXE driver. The selection screen graphics are buggered, so I tried installing themes...but I haven't figured that out yet.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know what settings you used in Clover. Anything you might recommend that I should add/remove? I am going to try to remove the AudioDXE driver. The selection screen graphics are buggered, so I tried installing themes...but I haven't figured that out yet.

Nice job. I don't have easy access to that system any more, but I'm sure I added "Enable TRIM for SSD" under the CLOVER "Kexts to Patch."

Name: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage
Find: 00415050 4C452053 534400
Replace: 00000000 00000000 000000
Comment: Enable TRIM for SSD

This is a standard addition for me in my hackintosh builds (all old). There may now be a better way to do this, but it worked for me and I haven't tried another way to enable TRIM.

Nice job. I don't have easy access to that system any more, but I'm sure I added "Enable TRIM for SSD" under the CLOVER "Kexts to Patch."

Name: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage
Find: 00415050 4C452053 534400
Replace: 00000000 00000000 000000
Comment: Enable TRIM for SSD

This is a standard addition for me in my hackintosh builds (all old). There may now be a better way to do this, but it worked for me and I haven't tried another way to enable TRIM.
Thanks! It is always a happy time when things finally work after banging one's head against the wall for hours... :)

I originally tried the terminal command:

sudo trimforce enable

It didn't work. I then used Kext to Patch to add com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage. Clover Configurator found it and added it, I unchecked Disable and....it didn't work after reboot. However, I then tried the sudo trimforce enable command again and after reboot Trim is working. Maybe both the kext patch and command are needed.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back