Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Yosemite on GA-Z97X-UD3H / i5-4690 / GTX660

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also had lots of freezing issues with the same mobo and a i7-4790k, ended up using clover to install Yosemite and all freezing issues have since stopped.

For anyone reading this post with similar issues before replacing any components i would recommend giving clover a shot.

I agree, but also wanted to let you know that I have been using Clover from the start with this board.

I agree, but also wanted to let you know that I have been using Clover from the start with this board.

Ah my apologies, i must of skipped over the post regarding the clover install.

Seems you've had a hard time getting your hack together to fully work.

As I see it I have two immediate options. Change the ram from Ballistix Sport to either Ballistix Tactical or G.Skill Ripjaws which both is on the list of my motherboard. Or i could install using Clover and gamble with the Sport ram. I have a strong feeling that the ram is the problem, because i went from 8GB to 16GB of Ballistix Sport ram today. And after that I have had freezes every 10 min or so as opposed to only three times in a couple of days with only 8GB. I took out one stick about an hour ago and it hasn't frozen one time yet. This strongly suggests that I go to the store tomorrow to change my ram. Only question now is what ram? any advice?

As I see it I have two immediate options. Change the ram from Ballistix Sport to either Ballistix Tactical or G.Skill Ripjaws which both is on the list of my motherboard. Or i could install using Clover and gamble with the Sport ram. I have a strong feeling that the ram is the problem, because i went from 8GB to 16GB of Ballistix Sport ram today. And after that I have had freezes every 10 min or so as opposed to only three times in a couple of days with only 8GB. I took out one stick about an hour ago and it hasn't frozen one time yet. This strongly suggests that I go to the store tomorrow to change my ram. Only question now is what ram? any advice?

First, check if your PSU is Haswell certified (I'm sure you already did).

I would suggest to do a fresh install with Clover. It made my system much more stable. It took me a while to get really comfortable with it, but in the end it definitely was worth the time.
But, I was running Clover with the Ballistix Sport ram, and still had random freezes.

I can say without a doubt (after 4 months of trial and error and endless reading on this and other forums) that the RAM was the source for my random freezes.
I bougth G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX.
It's 2400MHz, using it with XMP Profile 1, so without any manual change in voltage and/or speed.

The thing is, there can be many reasons for a kernel panic....

I know many people are using Chimera / Chameleon on our motherboard (as am I on a different Z77X-built). Of course it works. As long as your hardware is good.
I started using Clover because I had these random freezes. But it didn't solve the problem. Nevertheless, because I started using Clover, I don't want to go back. There are to many advantages.

If you want, I can sent you my bios and Clover settings later.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

I also had lots of freezing issues with the same mobo and a i7-4790k, ended up using clover to install Yosemite and all freezing issues have since stopped.

I forgot to ask: what ram are you using? (please give exact model#)

First, check if your PSU is Haswell certified (I'm sure you already did).

I would suggest to do a fresh install with Clover. It made my system much more stable. It took me a while to get really comfortable with it, but in the end it definitely was worth the time.
But, I was running Clover with the Ballistix Sport ram, and still had random freezes.

I can say without a doubt (after 4 months of trial and error and endless reading on this and other forums) that the RAM was the source for my random freezes.
I bougth G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX.
It's 2400MHz, using it with XMP Profile 1, so without any manual change in voltage and/or speed.

The thing is, there can be many reasons for a kernel panic....

I know many people are using Chimera / Chameleon on our motherboard (as am I on a different Z77X-built). Of course it works. As long as your hardware is good.
I started using Clover because I had these random freezes. But it didn't solve the problem. Nevertheless, because I started using Clover, I don't want to go back. There are to many advantages.

If you want, I can sent you my bios and Clover settings later.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

That would be great thank you!

I am glad you got your build to work in the end, must be a good feeling. My PSU is Haswell ready. I think I am going to try Clover if the ram doesn't solve it. Do you think it will work better with higher MHz? Cause I was thinking 1600MHz would be sufficient. Really feel like my build depends on the right choice of ram now. I have seen a couple of success stories with G.Skill so we'll see what I end up with.

I'll keep you posted :)

I changed my ram to Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB and it seemed more stable immediately. After a while I got my first freeze and decided to reinstall Yosemite again, this time using Easybeast as someone recommended. I had many issues the first time I installed, but this time with the seemingly right BIOS settings the installation went smooth as a baby. Even Turbo Boost is working now. However after I had Logic X and other programs installed after some hours without freezes I had a discouraging freeze once again. It happened when I was using my USB storage so I thought that might be the problem. Later got a freeze without the USB plugged in, so guess not. Also tried disabling the C-states in the BIOS with no luck. Feel like I'm running out of options here. Please help. Did not think it was gonna be this hard having a stable Hackintosh with hardware chosen from the buyers guide... :(

Thanks in advance.

I changed my ram to Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB and it seemed more stable immediately. After a while I got my first freeze and decided to reinstall Yosemite again, this time using Easybeast as someone recommended. I had many issues the first time I installed, but this time with the seemingly right BIOS settings the installation went smooth as a baby. Even Turbo Boost is working now. However after I had Logic X and other programs installed after some hours without freezes I had a discouraging freeze once again. It happened when I was using my USB storage so I thought that might be the problem. Later got a freeze without the USB plugged in, so guess not. Also tried disabling the C-states in the BIOS with no luck. Feel like I'm running out of options here. Please help. Did not think it was gonna be this hard having a stable Hackintosh with hardware chosen from the buyers guide... :(

Thanks in advance.

Almost identical situation as i was having. Re-installed Yosemite using Clover and as of yet have not had a single freeze while running Logic X or a problem with any USB drives both USB 2.0 & 3.0 for 2 weeks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back