Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Yosemite on GA-Z97X-UD3H / i5-4690 / GTX660

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still having some issues with this board,
using Clover (used MultiBeast before).
Tried everything, but still having random freezes.
I have a feeling that this helped a lot: in Bios, choose not Other OS, but Windows 8 and then choose CSM always of.
Maybe that's helpful?

Please keep me posted on your installation. Especially if you have a freeze-free system.
Thanks.

Freezes on Haswell systems are common due to the tighter specifications in Intel's Haswell processors and 8/9-series motherboard chipsets. Make sure you have:
  1. Memory make/model # on the Gigabyte motherboard's memory supported list, and
  2. PSU is rated Haswell "ready" or "certified".
Finally, if the above two criteria are satisfied, but the freezes continue, set the GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates to No in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. But, only make this change if the other two items are compliant with Haswell ratings.

I have Crucial Ballistic Sport ram but it does not match module # on the list. Does this mean i can not do as you describe above? I just installed Yosemite on a Z97-X UD3H and a 4790K with Turbo boost disabled in BIOS(to avoid kernel panic under boot up). I experience occasional freezes without putting any strain on the machine. Please help. Thanks :)

I have Crucial Ballistic Sport ram but it does not match module # on the list. Does this mean i can not do as you describe above? I just installed Yosemite on a Z97-X UD3H and a 4790K with Turbo boost disabled in BIOS(to avoid kernel panic under boot up). I experience occasional freezes without putting any strain on the machine. Please help. Thanks :)
What is your model # of your Crucial Ballistic Sport ram?

What is your model # of your Crucial Ballistic Sport ram?

What it says on the pack is BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU. I am gonna trade this pack for 2x8GB of the same ram next week though because of a slip up when I ordered, but i suppose that don't matter. :)

Freezes on Haswell systems are common due to the tighter specifications in Intel's Haswell processors and 8/9-series motherboard chipsets. Make sure you have:
  1. Memory make/model # on the Gigabyte motherboard's memory supported list, and
  2. PSU is rated Haswell "ready" or "certified".
Finally, if the above two criteria are satisfied, but the freezes continue, set the GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates to No in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. But, only make this change if the other two items are compliant with Haswell ratings.

Hi Stork,

I replaced my Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 with G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX.
Both are on the QVL for my GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK, but the difference is huge. Suddenly my random freezes are gone! Could it be because of the fact that the G.Skill set is 2400MHz?

(I described all my latest setting in this post)

We tested the Crucial Ballistic series of memory, such as the Sport 2x8GB BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00, so that we are comfortable recommending itin the Buyer's Guide. Several other manufacturers' memory for Haswell didn't do well in our testing, unfortunately.

We tested the Crucial Ballistic series of memory, such as the Sport 2x8GB BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00, so that we are comfortable recommending itin the Buyer's Guide. Several other manufacturers' memory for Haswell didn't do well in our testing, unfortunately.

Well, yes, but here's the thing;
I started this build with Crucial Ballistix Sport (as recommended), changed to Corsair Vengeance, which didn't help and finally switched to G.Skill, which solved the freezing problem.

Well, yes, but here's the thing;
I started this build with Crucial Ballistix Sport (as recommended), changed to Corsair Vengeance, which didn't help and finally switched to G.Skill, which solved the freezing problem.
Was it the same model # as in the Buyer's Guide?

Was it the same model # as in the Buyer's Guide?

I did some digging. I started this built in October 2014 and have been replacing parts ever since.

Crucial Ballistix Sport - BLS8G3D1609DS1S00
Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Both came from the Buyer's Guide
But.... the RAM wasn't / isn't on the QVL for this mobo.

Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
On the QVL, but not in Buyer's Guide
problem not solved

Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK
Again, a match in the QVL
random freezing persisted

G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Again, a match in the QVL
Problem solved, no more random freezing

Maybe it's just an example of how tricky this combination of Mobo and RAM is, especially when using a Haswell (refresh) CPU.

But (I did some research), this Crucial Ballistix Sport (BLS8G3D1609DS1S00) from the Buyer's Guide is not mentioned in the QVL for many (if not all) of the Gigabyte Motherboards mentioned in the Buyer's Guide.
It could be a reason why so many people are experiencing this random freezing issue.

I also had lots of freezing issues with the same mobo and a i7-4790k, ended up using clover to install Yosemite and all freezing issues have since stopped.

For anyone reading this post with similar issues before replacing any components i would recommend giving clover a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back