Contribute
Register

[Success] Yosemite 10.10 on Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 / MSI GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Stork, followed the steps on that page and managed to fixed the boot0 error. Am using a Crucial CT256GB MX100 SSD

Thanks again!
That Crucial model uses Advanced Formatting (4K) which causes the boot0 errors.

Anyone know if this board will work with clover? Any major reasons why it wouldn't?

Anyone know if this board will work with clover? Any major reasons why it wouldn't?

Yes, I believe it is possible to use Clover to install El Capitan on this board. Life has gotten in my way of playing with my computer, it is my only system, so I haven't tried yet. There are a couple of resources to get started with:
and there is the help forums
Based on their info, it should work. It is mostly a case of reviewing them and identifying the information that is relevant to the P55 chipset and our GA-P55M board, and putting together a plan to test the install.

Update 6/25/2016: I did a preliminary test install and found that Clover/El Capitan does work. One issue to be aware of is that you have to edit the Tonymac DSDT to make audio work with the current Multibeast. See my guide No Audio Devices in El Capitan on Series 5 motherboards Fix [Guide] for details. I will put together a full guide at some point, but life has continued.

My plan for testing an OS update is the following. Before doing this, make sure you have 2 good backups you can restore from. Test your ability to read files off of both of them. Review all of the applications you have installed and use and verify each either works with El Capitan or has an update available. If neither exists, determine your plan for replacing the application. When you start, unplug your main drive OS/boot drive and work exclusively off of a second drive that has no data on it. Assume everything on the 2nd drive will be lost during this process. Then you can do a test install on the 2nd drive, see what works, what doesn't, go back to the forums and read some more, refine the install, and repeat until you are happy. Once you are happy, then work on installing over your current boot drive, or do a clean install and use migration assistant to restore your data. From everything I have read so far, installing El Capitan using Clover on top of Yosemite using Chameleon is doable, so I don't expect a clean install is required.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe it is possible to use Clover to install El Capitan on this board. Life has gotten in my way of playing with my computer, it is my only system, so I haven't tried yet. There are a couple of resources to get started with:

Based on their info, it should work. It is mostly a case of reviewing them and identifying the information that is relevant to the P55 chipset and our GA-P55M board, and putting together a plan to test the install.

Thanks for reply! Its actually a great board and I'd love to get some more life out of it. Now to find some testing hard drives...

Hey Mr. Popman.
Nice guide you did there. :)

I see that you are using the msi gtx 970.
How do you like it? Does the no-fan-mode in idle work for you?

Cheers.
BFruit

With the WebDriver from Nvidia the no-fan mode works perfectly. When booting OS X when the Nvidia driver loads, the fans briefly go to high speed. After that they seem to do the right thing as the GPU temperature never seems to get too high, the fans are stopped or very slow (not audible above CPU fan) for normal desktop usage, and speed up when gaming.

...Update 6/25/2016: I did a preliminary test install and found that Clover/El Capitan does work. One issue to be aware of is that you have to edit the Tonymac DSDT to make audio work with the current Multibeast. See my guide No Audio Devices in El Capitan on Series 5 motherboards Fix [Guide] for details. I will put together a full guide at some point, but life has continued...
Please post your El Capitan guide in a new thread in the El Capitan Desktop Guides forum section. As a user of P55M-UD2 and -UD4 systems, still, I'm looking forward to your guide. I updated my P55M-UD4 Batman build here.

Please post your El Capitan guide in a new thread in the El Capitan Desktop Guides forum section. As a user of P55M-UD2 and -UD4 systems, still, I'm looking forward to your guide. I updated my P55M-UD4 Batman build here.
I have now completed my El Capitan install for this motherboard and video card and posted my guide for it.

Thanks to your well-written and informative guide, I have finally got my upgrade to Yosemite working on my dependable Gigabyte P55M-UD4 10 (Using MB 7.5)
Virtually everything works perfectly (including my USB 3.0 card, lan connection, and graphics).
However, although I added the 889a Realtek codec, I can't get the audio working, and I am still getting the "no output devices found" in sound preferences.

Any suggestions to get the audio working? I have tried the Optional ID 1 as well.

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 7.45.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 7.45.17 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back