Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Yosemite 10.10.3 Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi, i7 5820k, GTX 960

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one you linked looks like M2F, but the build your own cable would probably work. I suppose I'm fine, because Corsair is sending me one anyways. Thanks for the link!

Glad I could help someone! Congrats

I do not know why you are using the adapter as it not to be used in the manner you are using it for.
EPS 8 pin is not the same as PCIE. The only reason for the adapter is multiple cards running SLI or crossfire when you have too small a power supply which does not supply enough cabling. You should have a 8 pin EPS for motherboard power and a 8 pin pci express cable to your GPU and you need no adapters as long as you are using the right cables. Is there some other reason you need additional cables? can you explain?

I do not know why you are using the adapter as it not to be used in the manner you are using it for.
EPS 8 pin is not the same as PCIE. The only reason for the adapter is multiple cards running SLI or crossfire when you have too small a power supply which does not supply enough cabling. You should have a 8 pin EPS for motherboard power and a 8 pin pci express cable to your GPU and you need no adapters as long as you are using the right cables. Is there some other reason you need additional cables? can you explain?

Take a look at the screenshot just above that request. That's a screenshot of the 3-1 4x2 8 pin adapter. The mobo's manual says to plug that into the mobo & then plug 3 4x2 8 pin cables into it, in order for it to draw more power for over-clocking. That's the intended use case, not anything related to graphics cards.

Manual can be found here: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-x99-ud5-wifi_e.pdf

Specific item is page 27:

When you overclock the CPU, make sure to connect one end of the included 1 to 3 power cableto the ATX_12V_2X4 power connector and the other three to the power supply to ensure thesystem is provided with enough power.

I looked at the MB manual before I wrote and missed that line on page 27. The voltage delivered will still be in 2 rails from a single rail power supply. The reason for the adapter:
The reason for the large number of connectors is to spread the load across the wires and connections so that they don't get too hot.

An 8-pin EPS connector is rated to carry up to 150 watts. The 12v is carried on 4 wires. That's 37.5 watts per wire NORMALLY. SPREADING IT DECREASES VOLTAGE TO EACH WIRE NOT TO THE SOCKET. Unless Gigabyte is using a special molex, the adapter seems like like it could in theory overload the socket. But I am sure under normal reasonable overclocking this would never occur. I seems to me that a higher wattage power supply would deliver the same result without the adapter with more stability.

I looked at the MB manual before I wrote and missed that line on page 27. The voltage delivered will still be in 2 rails from a single rail power supply. The reason for the adapter:
The reason for the large number of connectors is to spread the load across the wires and connections so that they don't get too hot.

An 8-pin EPS connector is rated to carry up to 150 watts. The 12v is carried on 4 wires. That's 37.5 watts per wire NORMALLY. SPREADING IT DECREASES VOLTAGE TO EACH WIRE NOT TO THE SOCKET. Unless Gigabyte is using a special molex, the adapter seems like like it could in theory overload the socket. But I am sure under normal reasonable overclocking this would never occur. I seems to me that a higher wattage power supply would deliver the same result without the adapter with more stability.

That makes sense.

I'd assume that if the manual itself says to plug all 3 in it's not prone to being overloaded, and if it does I can get it replaced. Either way I'm gonna follow the manual's suggestions before overclocking it.

Just updated it with overclocking info. Enjoy!

Thanks so much...
Just watched the link you posted..The tutorial is really easy for a noobie like me.. :)
4 GHz is more than good ^^
Have you ran Cinebench?
I think you will get like 1200 CB there with this overclock..The performance of a 12 core Xeon in 2014 Mac pro is 1320 CB or so...You really saved a lot of money and got the Fancy OS.. :D

Also,Have you tried any adobe apps like Pr or Ae?How is the 960 doing with them?I think I will go with 960 not 970 and save a bit of money..
Some people say Yosemite takes like 7 GBs of RAM when idle..What do you think,bro?If this is true I would get 32 Gigs of Ram instead of 16..
Sorry for asking so many questions..
Im getting my PC in like 2 weeks and I cannot wait :D

Cheers
Hamed GFX

Haven't run that yet, I'll have to do it when I get home.

Photoshop runs fine, but I don't have after effects or anything like that. I got this mostly to do audio work. I have been playing Witcher 3 on the Windows partition with high graphics settings & it runs fine.

As for the 7GB Idle, that seems high to me. I'll have to check when I get home, but I really doubt it.

Haven't run that yet, I'll have to do it when I get home.

Photoshop runs fine, but I don't have after effects or anything like that. I got this mostly to do audio work. I have been playing Witcher 3 on the Windows partition with high graphics settings & it runs fine.

As for the 7GB Idle, that seems high to me. I'll have to check when I get home, but I really doubt it.

The witcher 3 is a GPU intensive game..
Thanks so much,bro ^^

Hamed GFX

Hi,

I have almost the same specs as you have, Gigabyte X99-UD5 Wifi, i7 5820k, MSI Geforce GTX 960 2GB with a 8GB Crucial 2133MHz RAM (this RAM is only temporary until my Crucial Ballistix 32GB arrives).

I tried to install with UniBeast with your recommended boot flags (npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 -f -x -v). First it was stuck at Intel Ethernet changing MTU from 0 to 1500 so I tried to disable the ethernet from BIOS. After I disabled them, it went pass that part until com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded and stuck there.

Looking around the forum, some said that it's related to the graphic driver, but I already use nv_disable=1

Is it because I'm using the latest Yosemite installer (10.10.4 i think)?

Any help to get pass that part? Thanks

[UPDATE] Finally installed Yosemite 10.10.4. I have to use the old Yosemite installer (10.10) and disable the XHCI, otherwise it will stuck at various part of booting. After it was installed, i enabled back the XHCI (put it in manual mode), and updated to 10.10.4 using the combo updater and patched the kernel again after updating.

Last edited:
I have pretty much got the same build i had to do the same drivers in clover to. Im just struggling to get the Nvidia drivers to work, when i install and restart it just boots then i get a black screen and it restarts. i used one method of installing them twice and it worked briefly, i rebooted and it done the same again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back