Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Yosemite 10.10.3 / GA-Z97X-UD7 TH / i7-4790k / EVGA 980 4GB SC ACX 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD4H
CPU
i-770k
Graphics
980ti
Shentheory's Pro Edit Build:
i7-4790K - GA-Z97X-UD7 TH - 32GB RAM - EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0
Yosemite 10.10.3

Enthoo_Luxe_WT_1024x1024.png
Components

Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i
MOBO GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
GPU EVGA GTX 900 SC ACX 2.0 4GB
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical (32GB)
PSU Seasonic SS 760 XP2
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Storage WD 2TB SATA Blackx 2
PCI E 1 Sonnet Allegro FireWire 800 PCIe Card
PCI E 2 BlackMagic Intensity Pro
Monitor Apple Cinema Display (already owned)
Drive Bay NZXT Aperture M Internal 5.25 Card Reader
Sound Card Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter

Comments

This was my Second Hack Build. As a video editor I needed a killer editing and motion graphics machine. The install process was a little tricky this time, but due to this wonderful community I was able to make it happen.

So far there are 2 issues, but nothing major. One of them I found an alternate solution for.

Sound: I've tried everything there is to try, and I still haven't gotten sound to work natively. I even tried to follow the No Sound - Realtek ALC AppleHDA Guide with no luck. My solution was to get the Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter. It plugs in usb, then you plug ur speakers into the green port, select it under output in audio preferences, and BOOM, sound! If anyone has any info on getting sound to work natively through the Motherboard, please share!! But this alternate solution works.

Thunderbolt: It shows int the system profiler under Thunderbolt that "no drivers are loaded". I don't have any thunderbolt devices to check, and I did a little searching with no luck. It's not a deal breaker for me but it would be nice to get it working in the future if anyone can provide any tips.

Install

Preface: First of all, since the GTX 980 is not natively supported by OSX, i had to install initially with my GPU REMOVED FROM THE CASE. Trying the bootflag "nv_disable=1" gave me a kernal panic everytime. I don't know if there was something i was doing wrong, but it just worked when I removed it.

Step 1: BIOS Settings:
a. M.I.T. > Advanced Memory Settings > X.M.P. > Profile 1
b. Peripherals > xHCI Mode > AUTO
c. Peripherals > xHCI Hand-off > ENABLED
d. Peripherals > EHCI Hand-off > ENABLED
e. Peripherals > Internal Graphics > ENABLED
f. Peripherals > Init Display First > IGFX
g. Power Management > Wake on Lan > DISABLED
h. BIOS Features > VT-d > DISABLED
i. BIOS Features > Boot Mode Selection > Legacy
j. Set the USB drive as the first boot device followed by the Mac OS X drive to be.
k. Save & Exit > Save and Exit BIOS
L. Turn off the computer

Step 2. Plug monitor into Motherboard connection.

Step 3. Create UniBeast Yosemite Install USB by following
Tonymac's Yosemite Install Guide. This is a fantastic guide overall for installing Yosemite.

3b. If you're using this GPU or any other newer Maxwell card, you're going to need to install the NVIDIA Alternate web drivers. The post i found on tonymacx86 for the 10.10.3 drivers linked me to an outdated version,
here is the link for the current correct Nvidia drivers. I dropped this installer onto the USB with MultiBeast so I'd have it ready.

Step 4. Install. Pop the USB into your build,boot up and hit F12, and select the USB. and highlight the USB Yosemite install, but don't hit enter yet. The only boot flag i needed was -x -v graphicsenabler=yes

Like I mentioned above, I tried many times to boot into the installer with my GPU installed, adding "nv_disable=1" to my boot flags, which is suppose to ignore the graphics card. But I always got a kernal panic so I just removed the GPU entirely. Boot flags such as "maxmem=4096" or "PCIRootUID=1" were not needed. But your required flags may vary depending on your parts list. Here is a good post about boot flags if you're getting stuck. Believe me, it took me dozens of times to get it right before i finally got to the installer.

if you get stuck at "[IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!" like i did, do this:

Boot the USB using "-s". When you see the prompt "root:", then:
Type: mount -uw /
Type: cd /System/Library/Extensions
Type: mkdir intel_back
Type: mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* intel_back/
Type: touch ../Extensions
Reboot

Once you get to the installer, follow the Tonymac install guide again and go through the install process. You'll then be booted onto your new desktop!! Sweet Tits!

Step 5. MultiBeast

Here is a screenshot of my working MultiBeast setup. You're settings may differ depending on your build, but these worked for me. If you chose DSDT Free, make sure you UNCHECK "Generate CPU States" in Customize>Boot Options.

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 5.40.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 5.42.52 PM.png

Once you're happy with your selection, choose Build, and Install. Wait forever for MultiBeast to install.
After it finishes installing, don't restart yet.

Step 6. Install the Nvidia Alternate Graphics drivers for 10.10.3that you put on the USB.
If you don't have the right version, it should tell you and not let you install.

Once it installs successfully, restart your computer.

Step 7. Boot up, and select your new Yosemite-Installed drive. Again using the flags "-x -v graphicsenabler=yes". Once you boot to the desktop, you'll see an Nvidia icon on the top right in the menu bar. Select the Web Driver, and it will ask you to restart. Do it but keep your system shut down. Step 8. install GPU into your computer, disconnect your monitor from the Motherboard and connect it to the GPU. Boot up and go into the BIOS.

a. Peripherals > Internal Graphics > DISABLED
b. Peripherals > Init Display First > PCI Slot 1 (or whatever PCI Slot you installed your GPU into)

You MUST disable your internal graphics or else you're get a kernal panic or a memory allocation error (like i did).

Step 9. Boot up, and select your new Yosemite-Installed drive. Type the flag "
graphicsenabler=no. If you can't boot for some reason, add "nvda_drv=1" which will make sure that you are indeed using the web drivers.

YOU SHOULD BOOT INTO YOUR NEW AWESOME YOSEMITE INSTALL.

If you are getting a black screen half way through the boot screen, try plugging your monitor into each port on your GPU and try again. This happened to me, and I literally just switched my monitor connection to the furthest DisplayPort on the card, and it worked. I swear getting hacks to work is part voodoo.

Thanks to the tonymac community for making this build possible!!!

Similar build

for audio issue try choosing internal speaker vs. line out. with
MB:Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC1150

Thunderbolt you need to install windows via separate partition/drive or parallels and then install the driver from here (assuming you have rev1 board), then connect a thunderbolt drive while in windows. it seems this only has to be done once...then remember it only will mount device if plugged in from boot.

Similar build

Thunderbolt you need to install windows via separate partition/drive or parallels and then install the driver from here (assuming you have rev1 board), then connect a thunderbolt drive while in windows. it seems this only has to be done once...then remember it only will mount device if plugged in from boot.

That's great! Do you know if the same workaround would also be successful for TB2 PCIe cards, like this ASUS one?

Thanks!

Similar build

Oh, one more with the same main board ;) I confirm Audio is working with the settings above. No further installations or patches needed.

I want to build something similar basically the same parts buy I have some ram sticks that are corsair dominator platinum 16gb 1866 idk if they would be compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back