hd4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Folks,

First, thanks to all the people that make stuff like this possible. Here are my notes from this 10.10.0 build using Unibeast / Multibeast on a refurb Lenovo m93p "tiny" form factor. These are sweet little machines the same size as a mac mini, and you can get them as low as $400 shipped after steep discounts on the refurb store. I've seen the m73 even lower, but they have slower processor options. There's a rare build of the m93p with the core i7 4765T, 4 core with HT for 8 cores in the OS! The machine I got in particular is only core i5 4570T dual core with HT, and I upgraded it with a 256GB M6S Plextor SSD and 16GB of Crucial DDR3.

Anyway, bluetooth is acting up, but seems to work most of the time? Geekbench is 3.2k/6.4k on the trial 32b version. Overall, it's 2.3x-4x faster than my current 2010 C2D mac mini.

TODO
  • HDMI sound (not a big deal for me)
  • Mic inputs (not a big deal for me, but the audio input on the front panel is supposedly a combo jack with mic input too)
  • Proper power management? Sleep works, but doesn't wake on keyboard press. No idea if fans are acting right, but seem to be.
  • Hot-plug display switching. The m93p "tiny" comes with a Display Port standard, but also has a made-to-order custom slot, and I lucked out that my refurb came with an HDMI input in that slot instead of something dumb that they offer like a USB 2.0 port or serial port. If I reboot with displays plugged in to both HDMI/DP, they both work, but unplugging and swapping them around doesn't work yet; not sure how much I'll look into it.

PRE-INSTALL

1. BIOS settings
    1. Disable secure boot and virtualization stuff
  2. Patch vanilla kernel on a machine with perl or sed from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-locked-msrs-and-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq/ - snippet of the important part copied here where <usb> is whatever you've named your USB installer stick (keep this usb around! it's useful to have a patched kernel on a USB installer for 10.10.x upgrades):
Code:
Please note the kernel resides at /System/Library/Kernels/kernel.
For 10.10:
$ cp /Volumes/<usb>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel ~/Desktop/kernel_backup
$ cp /Volumes/<usb>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel ~/Desktop/kernel
$ perl -pi -e 's|\xe2\x00\x00\x00\x02\x00\x00\x00|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x02\x00\x00\x00|g' ~/Desktop/kernel
$ perl -pi -e 's|\xe2\x00\x00\x00\x4c\x00\x00\x00|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x4c\x00\x00\x00|g' ~/Desktop/kernel
$ perl -pi -e 's|\xe2\x00\x00\x00\x90\x01\x00\x00|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90\x01\x00\x00|g' ~/Desktop/kernel
$ sudo cp ~/Desktop/kernel /Volumes/<usb>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
INSTALL

1. Boot from Unibeast USB installer with DisplayPort plugged in, patched kernel on USB, and options “-x GraphicsEnabler=yes maxmem=8192” (I have 8GB SODIMM in the first slot, so probably just change to whatever size you have in the first slot. e.g. 2048, 4096, 8192)
  2. Install should go well
  3. Reboot from USB stick and copy over patched kernel to newly installed system
Code:
$ sudo cp /Volumes/<usb>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

POST-INSTALL

1. Reboot from HDD and install Multibeast profile:
Code:
easybeast
alc283
3rd party sata
trim enabler
forcelegacyrtc
evoreboot
fakesmc
nullcpupowermanagement
appleintele1000e
chimera
basic boot
kext dev mode
use kernel cache
mac pro 3,1
3. HDMI sound, mic input, combo mic+headset input all TBD​
4. Intel wireless TBD / probably never. Should probably purchase different mini PCIe or usb wifi -- See post #3 for new half-height mini pcie wifi details!​

Updating to 10.10.1:
  1. Install from combo update
  2. Be stuck in reboot loop
  3. Boot from your handy USB stick that still has the patched 10.10.0 kernel on it from the install (args: -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes maxmem=8192)
  4. Open a Terminal, make a backup of your new and useless 10.10.1 kernel just in case. Then copy over the USB kernel to the system kernel, which should be mounted somewhere under /Volumes (mine is called m93)
  5. Code:
    # cp /Volumes/m93/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/m93/System/Library/Kernels/kernel_from_10_10_1
  6. Code:
    # cp /System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/m93/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
  7. Reboot to a working system like normal
  8. Verify you're listed as running 10.10.1
  9. Re-install Multibeast stuff, or at least the TRIM enabler if you're running an SSD.

Picked up an Azurewave BCM94352HMB from amazon for $40 and followed toleda's wireless_half_mini airport_ssdt_enabler instructions (here) for wifi! Notes:

• Installation of the card itself is straightforward if you have messed with PC guts before. Just be sure to be careful with the tiny coax leads and be delicate with the pliers when you squeeze the white tab in the corner holding the current wifi card in place (if you have one).
  • Use the ami7&8 download
  • I didn't have to change the RP04 to anything, as the card showed up as RP04 in IOReg
  • I did not have any SSDT.aml present in /Extra so I re-named the SSDT-2 file to SSDT.aml
  • DropSSDT is in the MultiBeast "Customize" => "Boot Options" section
Bluetooth is a snap! Use BrcmPatchRam located here, install with KextBeast, and reboot.

thanks for the details. I got Yosemite 10.10.1 running on an M93P, but for some reason cannot get audio to work. Currently waiting on a BCM4352. Using Clover boot loader though. gjdm. glutesforthesloots. lol

thanks for the details. I got Yosemite 10.10.1 running on an M93P, but for some reason cannot get audio to work. Currently waiting on a BCM4352. Using Clover boot loader though. gjdm. glutesforthesloots. lol

I just realized that I'd been missing out on the ALC283 kext available for sound and messing with VoodooHDA for no reason. Use the ALC283 option in Multibeast audio drivers section.

Nice, laptops are so hard to do!

No laptop here; this is a really small desktop with a mixture of desktop/laptop guts (golf balls for reference, image by Lenovo):
41hS7TchOrL.jpg

I am really struggling with 4k / UHD resolution though on an Asus PB287Q. Works fine in Windows 8.1 :(

I have audio working through Voodoo HDA in Mavericks, but the same kext won't work on Yosemite for me. Will try the one in Multibeast.

Thanks

Failed to make sound and LAN working... any ideas? :banghead:

Failed to make sound and LAN working... any ideas? :banghead:

I've since given up on doing this thing as a hackintosh. However, the appleintele1000e in multibeast should get your LAN going, and ALC283 in multibeast for sound. What did you try?

Not using Chimera. Im using Firewire Audio Card from Focusrite, but for the stock one I tried alc283, applehda default, applehdaenabler and voodoohda. Didnt work.

You should use this PC as hackintosh. Its perfect and stable for audio/video edit, gaming, etc. Here my specs:

Core i5 4570
4GB RAM
nVIDIA GT 610 2GB low-profile
Firewire PCI Card (Texas Instruments chipset)
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Firewire Interface (all channels working with proper driver)
Dlink DWA-110 USB Wifi
OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
Clover UEFI bootloader
Ableton Live 9 as audio edit/record
Adobe Premiere Pro CSS 2014 as video Edit
Adobe Premiere Pro CSS as effects/video edit

• Graphics card: Using Clover UEFI - nVIDIA Web Graphics work good, playing GTA San Andreas bought at Steam :D! Web Graphics didnt work with chimera even using graphicsenabler=Yes. OS X Default Graphics driver works on both bootloaders natively.
  • Graphics resolution: First, tried to make Intel HD Graphics work, but failed. Second, my machine is not the "tiny" one, lacks digital outs (HDMI, DVI), only VGA is available. Tried to make it work using SwitchResX, but it didnt work properly. Decided to buy a cheap low-profile Graphics Card, but resolution is still not working. Bought DVI cable (using the stock Lenovo screen, have VGA and DVI inputs), the resolution worked without pain.
  • The firewire is plug and play, no work needed. The audio interface drivers are provided by manufacturer, just click and install. All ok.
  • The Dlink USB DWA-110 is just download the RT73 driver from Ralink and it worked. It just must open the software everytime I log into Mac - hear thats a fix to make Airport enable it by auto, but didnt tried.
  • Trying to make iCloud, iMessage, Facetime, App Store work, but valid serials of original Macs are needed. Dont needed at this time.

Fast and furious, so much better than Win7-64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back