Contribute
Register

[Success] XFX RX 6600 XT graphics card in Monterey 12.2.1

@jayw8888
Same as me, boot arg added, shutdown, cards swapped and reboot. Easy.

@darukaru
Sorry for the delay.
Do you have a little switch close the PCI-e connector to choice between 2 VBIOS? In yes, try both sides to check if one of them has Zero RPM enabled.
There was indeed a switch and the other setting has more reasonable fan behavior. I hadn’t thought to look before because I had read the SWFT models were single-BIOS only. Thanks very much for the tip!

Has anyone tried the XFX 6600 XT Speedster Swift 210 with Monterrey?

Has anyone tried the XFX 6600 XT Speedster Swift 210 with Monterrey?
Although graphics cards assembled by XFX have negative comments in Hackintosh forums by having custom BIOS that can be more problematic for macOS that of other brands, I have installed a XFX QICK 308 AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB in Monterey 12.2.1 and the result has been excellent. Miliuco from post #1.

Although graphics cards assembled by XFX have negative comments in Hackintosh forums by having custom BIOS that can be more problematic for macOS that of other brands, I have installed a XFX QICK 308 AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB in Monterey 12.2.1 and the result has been excellent. Miliuco from post #1.

Yes sorry I was reading in page 4 that someone had success using that specific XFX version. I just wonder about the fan issue I guess it has been solved so you can get the fan speeds to idle.

Yes sorry I was reading in page 4 that someone had success using that specific XFX version. I just wonder about the fan issue I guess it has been solved so you can get the fan speeds to idle.
The price of that card on Amazon looks higher than the Sapphire Pulse 6600XT. So why not go with that and avoid any potential Vbios issues ? Sapphire has always been the best brand for AMD cards for hacks.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Last edited:
Last week my W5700 Pro just stopped. Not detected by BIOS. Gets power, fans run. but nope. I sent it back to AMD, which cost $40 to ship, my god.

I bought this MSI RX 6600 XT 8G for $365
This week its $320!
"What a difference a week makes!"

Whoops, that was a 6600...

Here's another MSI 6600 XT at $480 (very confusing pricing and promos)

The W5700 was 2019 tech which I chose based on known Apple compat and I could get one in 2021 in middle of crypto-craze. In end, I don't need the "Pro" and in 2022 there's a question as to what that even means...

Key points are it pushes Dells, even 13-year old ones, with 30-bit color, and calibrates beautifully. Happily this benches Metal at 90,000 under Monterey 12.4. The W5700 Pro hit 70,000 and still retails for $900.

Only glitch is that when the system is booting, the apple display disappears and seems offline until the desktop appears. The W5700 showed me the progress bar all the way through.

Not sure what to do with the warranty replacement W5700...

Garr

P.S. A good point about the W5700 over this gaming card is that its airflow vents out the slot bracket, and my build is thermally on edge, so having another 200W venting into the case is suboptimal, but I've fanned out this Fractal Design Meshify2 and it's got plenty of flow, so far so good.

Last edited:
Temperature sensor

Starting with the Radeon VII model, it is necessary to use kexts to read the temperature of AMD graphics cards since macOS stopped exposing that data directly. This also applies to the 6000 series. To know the temperature of the card you can use aluveitie's RadeonSensor. It consists of 3 elements:
  • Radeon sensor.kext: Lilu plugin to read card temperature
  • SMCRadeonGPU.kext: to export data via VirtualSMC to monitoring tools such as iStat Menus
  • RadeonGadget.app: to display the temperature in the menu bar, it requires RadeonSensor.kext only.
Note: SMCRadeonGPU.kext has to go after RadeonSensor.kext in the config file.plist of OpenCore and of course both after Lilu and VirtualSMC.

I have tested these 2 extensions together and they seem to work well, iStat Menus adds the temperature of the 6600 XT as one more sensor to display in the menu bar.
Thank you! I wondered why my GPU stats weren't showing up after upgrading to an RX 6600. Those two kexts fixed it.

anyone verify rx 6600 xt 308 MERC from XFX working?

I have seen reports of 308 swift or quick.. I think it would be identical other than some performance tuning in the card... ie a different soft table?

@dragonmel
It seems to be a Rx 6600 Xt as other models. I think it must be valid for macOS. With different soft power play table, probably.

Back