Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
After days of frustration I finally found a way to install High Sierra from the USB.
Booting the USB, selecting Install icon at the new Clover screen, on reboot selecting the install icon for the HDD was getting me a white screen, then the eternal beach ball. One go-round looked as if was going to work but then a message popped up that part of the installer was missing or corrupt and HS could not be installed - reboot and try again. Did that and was back to white screen with beachball.
Finally thought to try something different. If the installation files are on the HDD after the first installation pass, why not go ahead, boot Sierra, install Clover to the ESP of the HighSierra drive, copy over the RTL8111 kext for my network NIC and the new FakeSMC.kext and replace Clover installer's config.plist with my Sierra one and then shutdown, disconnect all drives except the HS one and reboot?
Did this and it worked like a champ - 15 minutes later I am typing this from the new High Sierra Public Beta running on my sig build.

Going to try it again, this time installing Clover with FakeSMC, network and config.plist to the drive first, then run the first install with USB installer and at reboot remove the USB and let it boot from the HDD and see what happens. Will post results.

Going to try it again, this time installing Clover with FakeSMC, network and config.plist to the drive first, then run the first install with USB installer and at reboot remove the USB and let it boot from the HDD and see what happens. Will post results.

Yep - works like a champ. So if you are having problems with the installation not completing, try installing Clover with edited config.plist for your hardware, FakeSMC, your networking kext and a DSDT if you have one in the High Sierra drive ESP prior to installing High Sierra on the drive.

Updated to High Sierra Beta 2 with no problems. Audio method Toleda's script for ALC Clover patching with native AppleHDA working just fine.

I'd love to keep seeing results with each release/advance. I hope to get my UD3r + X5650 up to High Sierra once I have the GPU situation worked out (no helper card at the moment, and living with an otherwise powerful OC R9 290 over DP on 10.11).

Just upgraded to Beta 3 with no issues. Edited config.plist to remove audio patches and re-ran toleda's Clover HDA script and audio is back. Messages works, Siri works.Not having another Apple device I have no way to test Handoff.

Just upgraded to Beta 3 with no issues. Edited config.plist to remove audio patches and re-ran toleda's Clover HDA script and audio is back. Messages works, Siri works.Not having another Apple device I have no way to test Handoff.
Alright... Got Beta 2 to work without too much effort however, Beta 3 made me give up (for awhile) after frittering away a couple of mornings. Both as upgrade to 2 and clean install from newly created USB boot disk.

Will try using some of your logic
Thanks in advance (I hope)

Went to upgrade PB4 to PB5 today. Did it 3 ways:

clean install via USB installer was successful and so far as I can tell everything works. Not having another Apple device or WiFi in the X58A build I have no way to test Handoff.

Upgrade install over Sierra PB4 was also successful.

The third way was a bit strange in the outcome. I cloned my PB4 drive before downloading PB5 and installed Clover so it would boot by itself, shutdown and removed the drive while I did test 2.

I thought to hit the App Store to check for updates and there was High Sierra and iTunes available so I thought "Why not?" and clicked update all. When the update completed I went back to the App Store to check for further updates and to confirm the installation and what do you know?
The App Store claims it updated me to DB6!
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 11.36.51 AM.png
OK, so I cleaned up the config.plist to remove the ALC patches and ran toleda's script again and I have audio back. Again, everything I can test works. Also, this version seems to boot a lot faster even on this older hardware. The black screen/white apple only loads half the bar before changing to the next screen and I only see it for a second before it fades to the log-in screen.
Safari seems faster, more responsive than Sierra or the earlier PB versions so that is a big plus.

Not bad for an 18 year old build:
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 3.24.05 PM.png X58A-HighSierra.png

Last edited:
Just finished updating to PB6/DB7 via the App Store Updates method.
Removed the AppleHDA patches in the config.plist and ran toleda's script and have audio back. Everything seems to work OK. Will leave it up tonight to test sleep/wake tomorrow.

Update - forgot to wake it up this AM, but just woke it up and it is running fine. Tested audio and the apps I use and no problems or hangs.

Last edited:
Updated to PB7/DB8 last night via the App Store Updates method.
Removed the AppleHDA patches in the config.plist and ran toleda's script and have audio back. Everything seems to work OK. Let it sleep overnight to test sleep/wake and it woke up just fine this afternoon when I got home from work.
Everything I can test is working.

Updated to PB8/DB9 today via the App Store Updates method.
Removed the AppleHDA patches in the config.plist and ran toleda's script and have audio back. Everything seems to work OK. I will let it sleep overnight to test sleep/wake, but I have no doubt it will pass again this time as last.
Everything I can test is working (no handoff, etc. requiring another Apple device).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back