Contribute
Register

Success: X58A-UD7 + High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me for being dense, but didn't you have to go through this to install High Sierra? Or did you somehow install High Sierra directly without starting at Snow Leopard (using another Mac maybe?)
I have a working HDD or SSD for each of the major versions of Mac OS from 10.6 to 10.13, so I do not have to start at SL each time I install a new version.

I have a working HDD or SSD for each of the major versions of Mac OS from 10.6 to 10.13, so I do not have to start at SL each time I install a new version.

I have several macs I use, so this part isn't an issue. I would like to thank you for your trail-blazing on this one, I think I'm going to finally attempt upgrade my system to high sierra with a 1060 graphics card. I'll be looking for the RAID0 installation configuration as that's where I'll wind up if I'm successful. I'm especially looking forward to power management working correctly again, as my 10.10 system seems to fail to wake from sleep about every 3rd or 4th sequence (running on the venerable 5770) I have extra SSDs lying around, so I only risk a little time. These old beasts just keep running more than adequately, although of late I've started considering trying out a new build, just to see if it actually will improve performance (I've not seen anything that says it will improve by more than 50% for my tasks, the only drivers are ease of upgrades and power use) Now if Apple would only put out a reasonably priced and configured mac pro or mini for comparison. :)

I think I'm going to give this a try this weekend, but before I do I have one question.

Currently I have two disk drives, one for Windows 10, a spare one that currently has Linux on it which I plan on putting MacOS. I plan on unplugging the Windows drive while I do this to keep it safe if something goes wrong. Once I get MacOS up and running, can I plug the Windows drive back in and update the bootloader with clover? I think it currently has Grub and resides on the Windows drive.

I think I'm going to give this a try this weekend, but before I do I have one question.

Currently I have two disk drives, one for Windows 10, a spare one that currently has Linux on it which I plan on putting MacOS. I plan on unplugging the Windows drive while I do this to keep it safe if something goes wrong. Once I get MacOS up and running, can I plug the Windows drive back in and update the bootloader with clover? I think it currently has Grub and resides on the Windows drive.
What is the drive format for the Linux drive? If it is MBR then you will have to reformat. Best to get another drive and install Mac OS by itself.

Oh I want to format and overwrite the Linux drive. So in the end one drive with Windows and one drive with MacOS. I'm not sure what boot loader the drive is using. Grub I think.
How is Windows installed - Legacy or UEFI mode? To confirm, run msinfo32.exe.
If you do not know how to look at the popup and verify Legacy or UEFI, post a pic of the popup (Alt+print screen and paste in the post.

Ok that's what I thought, I just didn't know if I could do it afterwards if I had my Windows drive unplugged and plugged it back in or if it had to be done at the time of install. I really don't want to break my Windows installation.

Ok that's what I thought, I just didn't know if I could do it afterwards if I had my Windows drive unplugged and plugged it back in or if it had to be done at the time of install. I really don't want to break my Windows installation.
Unplug the Windows drive, install Mac OS on a drive, reconnect the Windows drive, boot to BIOS and make the Mac OS drive first in boot order. Windows System Reserved icon is the one at the Clover boot screen that boots Windows if the Reserved partition was created when Windows was first installed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back