Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Here's my setup - may be non-standard, but boots stable with ethernet and firewire networking. (iBoot supported hung)

HW:
Core i3 530
P55M-UD2
Zotac 8400GS

SW:
10.4 upgrade (via USB hard drive on MacBook Pro)
Multibeast - Easybeast
Qoopz 4.0 kernel (legacy pkg)
Kext util from tonymac p55 boot CD
network kext from tonymac p55 boot cd
(sorry, at work don't have the name)

Only issue now is that I only get 100Mbs even though I think the port is 1000Mbs.

Comments welcome!

arcadian said:
Here's my setup - may be non-standard, but boots stable with ethernet and firewire networking. (iBoot supported hung)

HW:
Core i3 530
P55M-UD2
Zotac 8400GS

SW:
10.4 upgrade (via USB hard drive on MacBook Pro)
Multibeast - Easybeast
Qoopz 4.0 kernel (legacy pkg)
Kext util from tonymac p55 boot CD
network kext from tonymac p55 boot cd
(sorry, at work don't have the name)

Only issue now is that I only get 100Mbs even though I think the port is 1000Mbs.

Comments welcome!
As I posted in this thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6573. You need to run 10.6.4. To support your hardware natively.

Once you are on 10.6.4 you can run Lnx2Mac's beta Realtek driver which fixes most of the issues with the ethernet kext you are using.

Also, why didn't you use a DSDT and the latest version of iBoot Supported and MultiBeast?

Thanks Macman - What can I say, stuff that is supposed to work on my well-supported system doesn't. I never got iBoot supported to boot my i3. Multibeast with DSDT hangs. 10.4 install doesn't boot unless I put the Qoopz kernel on it. I wish I knew what makes my system different than everyone else. I consider myself lucky to have found a path that works - my system is intended as a server and is doing the job very well right now.

arcadian said:
Thanks Macman - What can I say, stuff that is supposed to work on my well-supported system doesn't. I never got iBoot supported to boot my i3. Multibeast with DSDT hangs. 10.4 install doesn't boot unless I put the Qoopz kernel on it. I wish I knew what makes my system different than everyone else. I consider myself lucky to have found a path that works - my system is intended as a server and is doing the job very well right now.
I am using your exact CPU on a H55 board running the vanilla 10.6.4 kernel.

All of the boot discs you mentioned are no longer supported or available.

Are you sure that your BIOS settings are correct? Did you follow tonymacx86's or Lnx2Mac's guides?

Also, are you using a purchased retail version of Snow Leopard?

Thanks for your help. I know my experience is non-standard but yes, i followed the directions, yes, my CD is fine, latest bios, etc. I wouldn't have been able to do the multibeast install for this system or work on my related hobby - repairing dead MBPs - otherwise. I just retested again with the latest iBoot and my system still blackscreens - it occurs shortly after the line "NVEnabler: Probe fails" (although prior it does detect the 8400GS). This is the same result as before (if I used busratio=22 - otherwise I'd get an immediate reboot).

I'm running a UD2 with an i5, and a good friend of mine is running a UD2 with an i3. We're both running solid as a rock.

Yes, it's always fun to hear from everyone else that my config works perfectly. OK, I get it. Adios.

arcadian said:
Yes, it's always fun to hear from everyone else that my config works perfectly. OK, I get it. Adios.

Given that you have the same hardware, you're doing something wrong. It could be a setting here or there, but something is going on, and it's user related.

Also, it takes awhile sometimes for iBoot to get going, but eventually does.

So I can't set my bios correctly and boot off a CD, yet somehow I can do an external drive 10.4 install with multibeast, a new kernel with busratio settings, get firewire networking going right out of the box, and then install and the right kext that gives me 1000BaseT, setting up a working server. That makes a lot of sense. If someone wants help with an external install, please find me on another board where every reply isn't "works fine for me" even after you find a workaround because this is seriously a joke.

arcadian said:
So I can't set my bios correctly and boot off a CD, yet somehow I can do an external drive 10.4 install with multibeast, a new kernel with busratio settings, get firewire networking going right out of the box, and then install and the right kext that gives me 1000BaseT, setting up a working server. That makes a lot of sense. If someone wants help with an external install, please find me on another board where every reply isn't "works fine for me" even after you find a workaround because this is seriously a joke.

It's not a matter of "can" or "can't". I didn't accuse you of not having the wherewithal to do it. I fully believe you have the ability to get it done, it's just that up to this point, it appears your doing something wrong. But who knows? Maybe you're using the wrong files, maybe you skipped a step? I wish I could tell you exactly what it was, but it's hard to cut through this tension to get to the real problem.

These things aren't easy. Don't get frustrated. Keep a positive attitude, and I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back