Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS with some issues] Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING - i9-9900K - DUAL GPU AMD RADEON RX 5700 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
CPU
i9 9940x
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi everyone!

I was able to get my Mojave 10.14.6 build completed by following both @pastrychef @themageman and @ModMike (shout out to you guys!!!) builds, find their guides below:

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming

themageman Asus Rog Strix z390

ModMike's TEWB (The Everything Works Build): Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming- i7-8700K

For "my build" here is my current hardware build:
IMG_3186.jpg

Components

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING

Intel i9-9900K Processor

G.SKILL Trident Z RGB- 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz

DUAL GPUS:
AMD RADEON RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

HDD/SSDs:

Mojave 10.14.6 installed on Internal SSD
Samsung pm983 3.84tb (works well so far, fast read and write speeds)

M.2 Solid State 1TB

Western Digital Blue 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD

Wireless:
ASUS PCE-AC51 Dual Band Wireless Card

Sound Card:
Creative Labs Soundblaster AE5 RGB

DEEPCOOL CAPTAIN 240 PRO RGB

CASE:
Dark Base 700 Mid-Tower Case be quiet!

PSU:
Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 850W GOLD

Monitor:
Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Ultrawide Monitor U3415W (Connected to AMD RADEON RX 5700 XT 8GB)

External Monitor:
4K UHD Smart LED TV - 49'' 49UB8200

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Keyboard

The System

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg
IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg
IMG_3162.jpg

Comments
I'm a 3D motion\VFX artist, photographer, graphic designer, film-maker and video editor and I needed a more powerful mac than my system which is an iMac 5K 27" 4.2 GHz Intel Core i& 64GB of Ram. It has worked well for photo editing and video editing however when it comes to 3D Rendering in real-time, this is where the lag starts. The render times would go from 30 minutes to 6 hours just to render 200 frames in Maya or C4D. So that brings me to building a Hackintosh. I wanted enough power internally to get my system up and running and to have enough power to speed up render times, real-time render movements as well as software functionality. After doing research for a few months I found that the Asus and Gigabyte MBs were the best options to start with. So I went with an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING Motherboard, with an Intel i9-9900K Processor with G.SKILL Trident Z RGB- 64GB (4x16GB).

I was able to successfully copy my Samsung 4TB SSD EVO from my iMac to my new Hackintosh Samsung PM983 3.78TB SSD with all my apps and software with no issues minus icloud compatibility.

The Issues
I put an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT in my main/top PCIE slot to be utilized by the Mac Os 10.14.6 Mojave system as the central GPU. The Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super was put into the 2nd PCIE slot. Now I'm well aware of the driver support issues with the Mojave system, and that the last working OS was High Sierra, however, I did find some threads on here that mentioned they had success with dual GPUS being installed and having the Nvidia Card used as a backup for other programs. My logic behind this was due to the fact that many of my 3D plugins such as V-ray or Octane Render require CUDA cores and RTX which AMD currently does not have. I was hoping that the Hackintosh would still be able to see and recognize it and maybe make it accessible.

I was able to get the Nvidia drivers installed on Mojave by going into the web drivers package and changing the system requirement number. It installed and showed it was there but still showed the prompt on login that the system was still using the Macs onboard GPU.

I have noticed something strange though as I move around on my desktop there aren't any artifacts but once I open Chrome, there are a ton of flickering and glitchy artifacts all over the place. Missing words, or panels, basically the entire app doesn't seem to work well.

IMG_3176.jpg
Here is an example of missing text on chrome, where my bookmarks usually are on my other mac, this is how they look on here.
IMG_3174.jpg
Here you can see the missing text as well
Clover Config
IMG_3169.jpg
IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg
IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg
Here are the kext I'm blocking in order to get my system to boot up quickly and without crashing.

What Doesn't Work (Where I need help)
Wifi
- I havent been able to get any of the Kext to work with my system or my ASUS PCE-AC51 Dual Band Wireless Card
Bluetooth - Doesnt seem to work at all
Audio - I have tried both onboard audio and the Sound blaster card and neither have produced sound
Sleep - I have tried to put my Hackintosh to sleep but nothing happens it just stays the same.
Extended monitor - When the HDMI is plugged into the Nvidia GPU, the system does see it and the tv does show there is a connection, however, there is just a black screen. On Displays in system prefs there is only one display showing, which is the Dell Ultrasharp which is connected via HDMI to the ADM Radeon RX 5700 GPU.
Screensaver- The screensaver seems jittery and very slow.
About this mac- It does show that I have an i9 yet the GHz is wrong. I actually have 5GHz.
Apps Folders & Flickering - As stated above some apps and folders have flickering or missing sections that disappear and reappear when I move the mouse.

SUPPORT
I am new to the community and I'm still learning the rules, but everything I have read on here has been so helpful and beneficial to me that it got me to this point. I have attached my EFI folder to see if anyone could take a look at my setup and see the issues I'm having and maybe help in finding a solution to getting it up and running smoothly. Any and all help is appreciated.

Attachments

• DUAL GPU ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING.zip
    19.5 MB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Seems like a pretty solid/ future proof build. I'm in the same field as yourself, predominatly more FCPX and LR vs Motion graphics. Currently have a AMD Nitro RX 580 and it's good, but considering the update to the 5700xt, waiting to see how people go with the Catalina Update and support.

So you have support OOB with the NAVI card in Mojave? And Have you run any performance tests/ render tests with the 5700xt card?

And with using an app like istats menu, can you see that memory/processor power of the NVIDIA unit is actually being utilizedb when running those CUDA heavy apps? Also intersted in adding a NVIDIA dual gpu setup for this purpose of working the ADOBE CC apps/ MOCHA Rendering. But was considering using a maxwell card such as the GTX 680 or 780 that still has native support.

Won't be much help to your questions, but good luck, and I'll be following this thread

Cheers,
Sharkey

I have almost the same build but without the double GPU. I ran into some problems after the installation. I just can boot from my USB Stick and can't install the bootloader on my drive. Do you mind to have a look at this?

Hi everyone!

I was able to get my Mojave 10.14.6 build completed by following both @pastrychef @themageman and @ModMike (shout out to you guys!!!) builds, find their guides below:

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming

themageman Asus Rog Strix z390

ModMike's TEWB (The Everything Works Build): Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming- i7-8700K

For "my build" here is my current hardware build:
View attachment 430322
Components

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING

Intel i9-9900K Processor

G.SKILL Trident Z RGB- 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz

DUAL GPUS:
AMD RADEON RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

HDD/SSDs:

Mojave 10.14.6 installed on Internal SSD
Samsung pm983 3.84tb (works well so far, fast read and write speeds)

M.2 Solid State 1TB

Western Digital Blue 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD

Wireless:
ASUS PCE-AC51 Dual Band Wireless Card

Sound Card:
Creative Labs Soundblaster AE5 RGB

DEEPCOOL CAPTAIN 240 PRO RGB

CASE:
Dark Base 700 Mid-Tower Case be quiet!

PSU:
Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 850W GOLD

Monitor:
Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Ultrawide Monitor U3415W (Connected to AMD RADEON RX 5700 XT 8GB)

External Monitor:
4K UHD Smart LED TV - 49'' 49UB8200

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Keyboard

The System

View attachment 430325

View attachment 430326 View attachment 430327
View attachment 430328View attachment 430330

Comments
I'm a 3D motion\VFX artist, photographer, graphic designer, film-maker and video editor and I needed a more powerful mac than my system which is an iMac 5K 27" 4.2 GHz Intel Core i& 64GB of Ram. It has worked well for photo editing and video editing however when it comes to 3D Rendering in real-time, this is where the lag starts. The render times would go from 30 minutes to 6 hours just to render 200 frames in Maya or C4D. So that brings me to building a Hackintosh. I wanted enough power internally to get my system up and running and to have enough power to speed up render times, real-time render movements as well as software functionality. After doing research for a few months I found that the Asus and Gigabyte MBs were the best options to start with. So I went with an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING Motherboard, with an Intel i9-9900K Processor with G.SKILL Trident Z RGB- 64GB (4x16GB).

I was able to successfully copy my Samsung 4TB SSD EVO from my iMac to my new Hackintosh Samsung PM983 3.78TB SSD with all my apps and software with no issues minus icloud compatibility.

The Issues
I put an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT in my main/top PCIE slot to be utilized by the Mac Os 10.14.6 Mojave system as the central GPU. The Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super was put into the 2nd PCIE slot. Now I'm well aware of the driver support issues with the Mojave system, and that the last working OS was High Sierra, however, I did find some threads on here that mentioned they had success with dual GPUS being installed and having the Nvidia Card used as a backup for other programs. My logic behind this was due to the fact that many of my 3D plugins such as V-ray or Octane Render require CUDA cores and RTX which AMD currently does not have. I was hoping that the Hackintosh would still be able to see and recognize it and maybe make it accessible.

I was able to get the Nvidia drivers installed on Mojave by going into the web drivers package and changing the system requirement number. It installed and showed it was there but still showed the prompt on login that the system was still using the Macs onboard GPU.

I have noticed something strange though as I move around on my desktop there aren't any artifacts but once I open Chrome, there are a ton of flickering and glitchy artifacts all over the place. Missing words, or panels, basically the entire app doesn't seem to work well.

View attachment 430341Here is an example of missing text on chrome, where my bookmarks usually are on my other mac, this is how they look on here.
View attachment 430343 Here you can see the missing text as well
Clover Config
View attachment 430332 View attachment 430333

View attachment 430335View attachment 430336
View attachment 430347 Here are the kext I'm blocking in order to get my system to boot up quickly and without crashing.

What Doesn't Work (Where I need help)
Wifi
- I havent been able to get any of the Kext to work with my system or my ASUS PCE-AC51 Dual Band Wireless Card
Bluetooth - Doesnt seem to work at all
Audio - I have tried both onboard audio and the Sound blaster card and neither have produced sound
Sleep - I have tried to put my Hackintosh to sleep but nothing happens it just stays the same.
Extended monitor - When the HDMI is plugged into the Nvidia GPU, the system does see it and the tv does show there is a connection, however, there is just a black screen. On Displays in system prefs there is only one display showing, which is the Dell Ultrasharp which is connected via HDMI to the ADM Radeon RX 5700 GPU.
Screensaver- The screensaver seems jittery and very slow.
About this mac- It does show that I have an i9 yet the GHz is wrong. I actually have 5GHz.
Apps Folders & Flickering - As stated above some apps and folders have flickering or missing sections that disappear and reappear when I move the mouse.

SUPPORT
I am new to the community and I'm still learning the rules, but everything I have read on here has been so helpful and beneficial to me that it got me to this point. I have attached my EFI folder to see if anyone could take a look at my setup and see the issues I'm having and maybe help in finding a solution to getting it up and running smoothly. Any and all help is appreciated.

Don't expect the RTX 2070 Super to ever work on any version of macOS.
Don't expect the 5700 XT to have any acceleration until at least macOS 10.15.1.
Don't expect the SoundBlaster to work in macOS.

I have no idea what chipset the Asus PCE-AC51 uses. I don't recall having ever seen anyone successfully using one in macOS.

There were a lot of things in your EFI folder that needed fixing. Please try the attached EFI folder. I don't know if it will boot for you... I can never be sure with Z390. It's always a crapshoot as to which Aptio fix works for each individual. BTW, don't expect NVRAM to ever work on Z390.

Attachments

• DUAL GPU ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING.zip
    24.7 MB · Views: 421
Last edited:
@pastrychef Thank you so much! Sorry for the late reply I havent traveling for work! Your configuration worked!!! And you were right the moment I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.1 the AMD 5700 worked like a charm. The Nvidia shows up but it still gives me a black image on the monitor.
The weird glitchy effect went away with the update to Catalina 10.15.1. Now everything works as it should! :)

Thank you again!!

Thanks to you @pastrychef, and @nch107 - I'm doing this exact build tonight. Had a hackintosh with a 580 in it and wasn't happy with the performance - snagged a 5700xt after seeing you had it working in catalina. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the help, folks!

What's your bios version? I encounter some problems with my motherboard, start to think that could be that.

Got it running using the RX 5700 with Catalina OS latest version but thats without powering the GPU. On the other hand, when power is plugged in to GPU, it wont work stuck on progress bar and never continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back