Contribute
Register

Success with Asus ThunderboltEX 3 and Z370 and UAD Apollo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d make sure you unplug for 30 seconds, boot OS, turn on Apollo, restart.

If nothing then see if turning off “Enable USB” in your bios under thunderbolt.

Also make sure you’ve got your OS set to other in bios for thunderbolt.

Just try one setting at a time and take your time.
Well, this sounds like voodoo to me, with all due respect. (BTW: OS is set to "Other", USB is "Enabled", as many other threads suggest this, but I will try without it, for sure...)

In Windows I can hotplug, switch the device on/off, all works properly, there is no need for such convoluted procedures. This means that the hardware is capable of executing this as intended.

In OSX the IORegistryExplorer application sees the controller, the Thunderbolt and the USB3.0 port as well on the hardware, but there is no further action from the OS when the attached Thunderbolt device is turned on or off (or it is on when the machine boots). So to me this is a software issue, that should be possible to resolve by telling OSX what to do.

So I am looking for ideas how to tell the OS to see the same what the IOReg can see, so it can load the proper Thunderbolt kext(s) and configure what needs to be configured so the system reacts to IO changes on this port (like plugging in, switching on/off, etc.).

Any ideas?

Hey whatever works for you! For now I figured out the combo and theres zero tinkering to do after. Im just saying if its stops working then you might not have to go through windows and reinstall it, just unplug. It drains the caps and gives you a fresh start. No voodoo. In Windows its completely normal over here. Hot swap, etc...

So the Windows portion isn't the convoluted section its the OS section. For whatever reason after getting it installed in Windows my OS wouldn't boot and changeing the Thunderbolt > USB to disabled stopped it.

I cant track it down at the moment but theres a 30 page thread on the IO Reg you're referring to. Mines stable so long as I boot with the device on. God bless a hack, saved me tons and made work a delight.

OK, so I have updated my motherboard's BIOS (v 1406), because it was not done earlier. Now I cannot boot at all, despite I have restored all setting. NDVA driver is getting in the way, I think, in any case I get the dreaded "busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleACPICPU'" message and the system hangs. This is despite that I use the nv_disable=1 boot argument.

No idea what to do now... :banghead:

Last edited:
Have you tried booting in safe mode and maybe reinstalling whatever you need to?

Have you tried booting in safe mode and maybe reinstalling whatever you need to?
Well, I would love to reinstall anything if I would have a clue on what to fix...
In any case I managed to boot using a USB drive. I will try to reinstall the NVidia drivers (the latest one WebDriver-387.10.10.15.15.108.pkg) and hope for the best.

Otherwise I am totally clueless how to fix this, so any ideas are welcome.

Well, I would love to reinstall anything if I would have a clue on what to fix...
In any case I managed to boot using a USB drive. I will try to reinstall the NVidia drivers (the latest one WebDriver-387.10.10.15.15.108.pkg) and hope for the best.

Otherwise I am totally clueless how to fix this, so any ideas are welcome.
Any luck? I remember being stuck on the whole boot thing so I just turned of TB as whole and it booted. I also used a 580 or the onboard graphics so I've got no experience in the NVIDIA world. I played it super safe with this build and it paid off. Almost everything was plug and play.

Any luck? I remember being stuck on the whole boot thing so I just turned of TB as whole and it booted. I also used a 580 or the onboard graphics so I've got no experience in the NVIDIA world. I played it super safe with this build and it paid off. Almost everything was plug and play.
Well, after quite some struggling, I am back at 4K and the NVidia card working. The solution was the get rid of the buggy/not functional 387.10.10.15.15.108 driver, and reinstall the 387.10.10.10.40.105 version.

So now I am back to square one, with Thunderbolt not yet working in OSX, but perfectly functioning in Windows. I will make an attempt of removing the Apple Thunderbolt kext files, and see what that delivers.

Well, after quite some struggling, I am back at 4K and the NVidia card working. The solution was the get rid of the buggy/not functional 387.10.10.15.15.108 driver, and reinstall the 387.10.10.10.40.105 version.

So now I am back to square one, with Thunderbolt not yet working in OSX, but perfectly functioning in Windows. I will make an attempt of removing the Apple Thunderbolt kext files, and see what that delivers.

So strange. My gut tells me it's a bios setting. Which Apollo are you using?

So strange. My gut tells me it's a bios setting. Which Apollo are you using?
I have tried removing the AppleThurderbolt kexts, nothing happened, except now the same PCI thread does not even show the controller when checked with IORegistryExplorer.

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 23.44.27.png

I have an Apollo 8 Quad. Works OK in Windows (dual boot on the same machine), it is recognized without any problem by the UAD console/control panel, hot plug and all. With the same BIOS settings it does not work at all under OSX.

Any ideas what to do to have it recognized under OSX?

Breaking it down a littler here.

As far having OS recognizing thunderbolt goes it simply won't do that. It will however, if booted with the Apollo already on and OS restarted after said boot (I know I know its weird but its the truth), show up as an audio device and work 100 percent normal. The good people here are working on that now.

So I never had to messed with any of the thunderbolt kext and my goal for my build (identical besides the GTX) was to be as plug and play as possible. Clearly your card works and your OS boot isn't hanging up. Have you matched my Thunderbolt bios settings and did a good unplug, boot, restart all with the Apollo on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back