Contribute
Register

Success with Asus ThunderboltEX 3 and Z370 and UAD Apollo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the Asus Z370 motherboard already has USB-C on the board. Is this poort not a Thunderbolt 3 port, thus the need for the card?

Thank you for sharing your setting.
My Windows shutting down normally after applying your thunderbolt bios setting.
before apply, it takes too long time to shut down computer.

Thank you for sharing your setting.
My Windows shutting down normally after applying your thunderbolt bios setting.
before apply, it takes too long time to shut down computer.

You're welcome! I hope one day to have the tb3 card working completely. Not just hot swapping but inside system report too.

NorthAmTransAm: thank you for sharing this.
I am also trying to get this card working now. Just finished the Mac OS installation, so I am ready to move to this, but would really prefer not to tinker with Windows.
Have you tried without the Windows update of the firmware?

NorthAmTransAm: thank you for sharing this.
I am also trying to get this card working now. Just finished the Mac OS installation, so I am ready to move to this, but would really prefer not to tinker with Windows.
Have you tried without the Windows update of the firmware?

I've been wondering the same thing. I would make sure you have the ex3 in the bottom slot and that the bios settings are correct. Remember if you start to get boot hang ups then flip one setting at a time until you find the culprit. Mine was "enable USB" in the thunderbolt settings.

Boot with your device plugged in and on. Try unplugging the computer for 30 seconds as well.

If it works then report back! Remember that in your system report Thunderbolt wont show up but search for the device instead.

OK, so now I have the card and Apollo working in Windows. When I boot into OSX, there is nothing. The hardware UAD link led is on (in Windows and in OSX as well), but OSX is not loading the Thunderbolt drivers at all (IOReg is seeing the Thunderbolt part, but not all, see screen shot attached), neither I see it under PCI or soundcard.

Any suggestions?
Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 23.14.52.png

I’d make sure you unplug for 30 seconds, boot OS, turn on Apollo, restart.

If nothing then see if turning off “Enable USB” in your bios under thunderbolt.

Also make sure you’ve got your OS set to other in bios for thunderbolt.

Just try one setting at a time and take your time.

I've spent hours troubleshooting my USB (even spent 70 bucks for a PCIe card that the forum recommended)...then realized that USB Apollo isn't supported in Mac... sigh. Glad to know there is something that works. Maybe someday someone (hopefully UAD) will write some USB drivers for Mac so you can have an agnostic interface ... wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back