Register

[SUCCESS] Ventura with Clover sextuple boot Haswell GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
RX 570
Hey all, had some free time with the holidays to update my Hack.

Yes Clover is still viable for Apple's latest OS, and it's easy to use without having to jump through hoops.
5150 is the current release which I updated to.
Other prep as noted by @Edhawk helpful thread:
I updated the system profile to iMacPro 1,1 in the SMBOIS.

I already had a multiple booting system, I was going to update 1 of the OS's by updating to Ventura but I found out my drive had some extra space not being used, so well, why not just add another AFPS volume and see.

My system has 2 internal SSD drives. Main system and apps for my daily driving OS Mojave.
2nd SSD for all the play and testing of OS's: Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Windows 10, and now Ventura.
This is the beauty of a hackintosh's!

Created the AFPS volume in Catalina (which I planned to update but didn't)
Checked system update and downloaded the Ventura installer.
Ran the Ventura installer and chose the new volume.
30 min's later and it was up and running.
Apple definitely did some improvements here as this use to take much longer, with multiple reboots. Not anymore.

Poked around and set things up how I would normally. Sheesh, they really moved a lot of stuff around in System Settings (what use to be Sytem prefs) Some of which makes sense, others not so much.

System is up
Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 4.23.36 PM.png

Kext's I am using with Clover in Other
Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 4.43.35 PM.png

For the Clover config file I use the default settings supplied by the Clover installer. Then go through the Open Core user guide to figure out some of the borrowed settings from OC quirks etc. All of which I set using Clover Configurator, and use it to download kexts.

Have fun Hackintoshing! :headbang:

Nice work! :thumbup:
Although I've jumped on the OC bandwagon last year for my desktop build, I have kept Clover for my Z68 laptop because it dealt better with the multiboot thing on that machine (no Entries in OC for multiple MacOS).
About multiboot, I've read that it's advisable to keep different MacOS versions on separate containers (i.e. you can have to Mojaves in volumes in the same container but if you have a Mojave and a Ventura, they would share the same Preboot, VM and Recovery volumes... which might have issues, of course).

Nice work! :thumbup:
Although I've jumped on the OC bandwagon last year for my desktop build, I have kept Clover for my Z68 laptop because it dealt better with the multiboot thing on that machine (no Entries in OC for multiple MacOS).
About multiboot, I've read that it's advisable to keep different MacOS versions on separate containers (i.e. you can have to Mojaves in volumes in the same container but if you have a Mojave and a Ventura, they would share the same Preboot, VM and Recovery volumes... which might have issues, of course).
Thanks!

Yes there are some weirdness with multiboot systems on the same drive. You'll see some extra partitions in say Catalina which you won't see in Big Sur and newer, these "update" partitions. I know I have some separate containers, specifically because of Windows, not sure how many others there are. But good points, I think I may have lucked out possibly because Catalina and newer have the locked system drive where as Mojave doesn't and since it's on a separate physical drive they don't conflict with each other.

Have you tried booting in Recovery? I'm curious, but it's very likely it's a Ventura Recovery — I guess the most recent one is kept, if on a single APFS container. I've quite never used Recovery myself, but if you ever have to fix some important issue for one of your MacOS, it might be a problem. For example, if you had to refresh the kernel kext cache (kextcache -i "/Volume/Macintosh HD") you had to boot from the same version otherwise it didn't work (I can only talk until Mojave as I don't have any recent versions installed yet...)
You can easily check how many APFS containers you have with Disk Utility's left pane in Device View, here in Mojave:
Capture d’écran 2022-12-27 à 11.22.39.jpg

Hackintool will also give you a thorough view of your drives structures (Disks tab), each APFS container being preceded by a kind of paper clip:
Capture d’écran 2022-12-27 à 11.38.53.jpg

EDIT: Preboot, Recovery and VM get created even on a 100% data APFS container (here my disk3) but stay empty.

Last edited:
You are using a number of kexts, which are meant for Dell or Laptop systems.
  • CPUFriend.kext - Orphaned kext
  • SMCBatteryManager.kext - Laptop
  • SMCDellSensors.kext - Dell/Laptop
  • SMCLightSensors.kext - Laptop
You have an orphaned kext (CPUFriend) which requires a specific helper kext/SSDT either 'CPUFriendDataProvider.kext' or 'ssdt_data.dsl', from which CPUFriend reads data. Without this helper kext/SSDT CPUFriend.kext does absolutely nothing. You don't have the helper kext, have you created the SSDT_Data.aml table and added it to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder?

Your Gigabyte Hack doesn't need any of these kexts. They should be removed from your CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

While we're at it, I'd humbly add that NVMeFix.kext is useless if he doesn't use a NVMe SSD, HibernationFixup.kext too if he doesn't use hibernation, if I'm not mistaking. ;)
Both valid points, as I have never used either kext on any of my Haswell systems, even when installing macOS on an NVME drive.

Thanks @Edhawk and @Nodarkthings for the feedback on the kexts. I'll remove those when I get a chance to do some testing.

Maybe you might know how to help me fix iCloud. I always get a login in error every time I start up. I believe this is possibly due to my generated serial number. I've tried to re-generate the number and check it on Apple's website (not found), and it seems to work for a day, then back to it not working. Any ideas?

Have you tried booting in Recovery? I'm curious, but it's very likely it's a Ventura Recovery — I guess the most recent one is kept, if on a single APFS container. I've quite never used Recovery myself, but if you ever have to fix some important issue for one of your MacOS, it might be a problem. For example, if you had to refresh the kernel kext cache (kextcache -i "/Volume/Macintosh HD") you had to boot from the same version otherwise it didn't work (I can only talk until Mojave as I don't have any recent versions installed yet...)
You can easily check how many APFS containers you have with Disk Utility's left pane in Device View, here in Mojave:
View attachment 560648

Hackintool will also give you a thorough view of your drives structures (Disks tab), each APFS container being preceded by a kind of paper clip:
View attachment 560649

EDIT: Preboot, Recovery and VM get created even on a 100% data APFS container (here my disk3) but stay empty.
I haven't, actually I never ever had to use a recovery partition. I always create an external usb attached drive with a clean bootable system to boot from. My own recovery. But I can tell you they are there in my system for each OS.

I'll give it a shot once I have some more time for testing/fooling around.

You are on the right track regarding Messages, iCloud etc. You need to generate a new SMBIOS, I would use Corpnewt's GenSMBIOS script and then check that the Serial Number generated is not used by a real Mac.

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 22.37.19.png Option 3 from the list, so the SMBIOS data is generated.

This is really important.
You need to make sure you populate the MLB, ROM and SystemUUID entries in the config.plist with the data that accompanied the Serial Number. IF you only change the Serial number entry your system probably won't connect to the Apple services correctly.

The GenSMBIOS script allows you to generate a number of SMBIOS at one time, by simply telling the script which SMBIOS and how many versions to generate, as shown below.

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 22.41.29.png This entry would generate 5 x iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS

You would need to sign out of any Apple services, i.e. Messages, FaceTime, iCloud, AppStore, Music/iTunes etc. before you reboot the system with the new SMBIOS data in place.

When you reboot and arrive on the OC boot screen, you need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi option. If it is not visible then simply press the Spacebar to unhide the Driver.

If you don't Reset NVRAM and reboot the system, the old Serial etc will be used, as they are written in to the Non-Volatile Memory on the system.

Once you have booted to the system using the new Serial etc. you should check the new SMBIOS data is being used before signing in to iCloud etc.

Last edited:
Back