Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
Asus ROG Strix RX5700 XT
First of all, thanks to all who had contributed to this forum and elsewhere in the hackintosh scene. I just did a major refresh of my ML desktop/home server with success (was i7-860 / GA-P55A-UD4 / GTS270 / OSX RAID 0.) Just want to share my experience going about the upgrade. For your reference, this is my new spec:

- CPU: i7-3770 @ 3.9GHz
- MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4G x 2
- HDD: Highpoint 2721 RAID with SAS 6G, driving 3T x 4 Seagate HDD in a external eSATA enclosure (SOHOTANK) via a SAS to eSATA x4 fanout cable
- SDD: Corsair Force GT 120G as boot drive
- GPU: GIGABYTE GTX670, 2G OC version

I started off with upgrading my old setup to the latest software updates including 10.8.1, in order to minimize moving parts post h/w change. Then I did a final CCC to backup all my data before I shutdown my trusty old system for the very last time...

First reboot, I was greeted with a kernel panic :( complaining about that it saw 9(!) CPU threads instead of expected 8.

I reckoned this may have to do with an incompatible DSDT file -- my old MB P55A-UD4 required one but not the new Z77X-UD5 with UEFI BIOS.

In order to remove the offending DSDT, from Chimera I boot into verbose, single-user mode, which got me to the root shell!

Code:
-v -s

Before changes can be made, the root filesystem must first be re-mounted as read-write as it is read-only by default.

Code:
fsck –fy
mount –uw /

fsck is there as a safety measure to check for errors before enabling read-write. From now on, you need to be very careful as you are now in a position to delete any/all files on the root volume...

Remove the offending DSDT file and reboot:
Code:
rm /Extra/DSDT.aml
reboot

Then I got past the KP and went thru all of the verbose boot logs but now hung at the grey screen... Again thanks to all the prior research, I suspected this has to do with Chimera's GraphicsEnabler not being required for the GK104 GPU's. So I rebooted into single-user mode again as above, vi /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and made GraphicsEnabler=No, followed by exit.

And this got me all the way to the OSX login screen!! From there, it's a simple matter of running Multibeast to finish off post installation.

BTW, if you care about CUDA/OpenCL, there is an updated nVIDIA CUDA 5 (beta) driver for OSX from the official CUDA developer zone home page. You also need to patch the GeForce driver bundle using Multibeast in order to enable OpenCL for the otherwise "unsupported" GTX670 card.

Happy to help if you are planning to upgrade to a similar setup -- this is my primary desktop for Lightroom and music/video Plex server.

Cheers,
C.K.

I'm having kernal panic issues (i believe. i'm a noobie). I have the GA-Z77x-UP5 as well. i5 Intel. Mountain Lion 10.8.3 will not boot. Grey screen with apple log and spinning timer. Here's a picture of the last few lines of text. most glaring lines were the following:

"0007-adaptor is out of date. make sure kext has been built against the correct headers"

"can't load kext com.apple.driverApplesUSBmergenub -link failed"

"Faild to load kext.appledriverApplesUSBmergenub"

"Error 0xdc008016"

Thoughts? Suggestions?

p.s. sorry about bad photo. you can still make out the lines at the bottom of the screen. photo-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back