Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B360M-A
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 580
I (finally) updated from Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15.7 tonight. At first I could only boot in safe mode, but after removing all the 3rd party kexts from Library/Extensions it booted with no problems, everything was working. As others have mentioned Catalina boots better if you keep all your kexts in your EFI/Clover. Noticed a significance performance increase too, everything seems quicker and more fluid. Nice!

I (finally) updated from Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15.7 tonight. At first I could only boot in safe mode, but after removing all the 3rd party kexts from Library/Extensions it booted with no problems, everything was working. As others have mentioned Catalina boots better if you keep all your kexts in your EFI/Clover. Noticed a significance performance increase too, everything seems quicker and more fluid. Nice!
Since Apple has gone down the road to lock the system directories it has been best to have them in the EFI folder that is because then the kext's are injected before the OS boots. This would have definitely caused you issues if you would have tried to install Big Sur!

Since Apple has gone down the road to lock the system directories it has been best to have them in the EFI folder that is because then the kext's are injected before the OS boots. This would have definitely caused you issues if you would have tried to install Big Sur!
I'm holding off on Big Sur, maybe I'll install the next version of macOS 11 released. I tend to wait at least a year after an update is released before I mess with installing it. No point in breaking a working hackintosh just for fun!

I'm holding off on Big Sur, maybe I'll install the next version of macOS 11 released. I tend to wait at least a year after an update is released before I mess with installing it. No point in breaking a working hackintosh just for fun!
Agreed. Personally I see no point in trying to install a new OS such as Big Sur right after its release. Not to mention the forced software upgrades that may be needed (e.g. VMware Fusion will need version 12 to run on Big Sur). Like you I am preparing to wait at least until next August or September to see if Big Sur is worthy of my efforts.

Agreed. Personally I see no point in trying to install a new OS such as Big Sur right after its release. Not to mention the forced software upgrades that may be needed (e.g. VMware Fusion will need version 12 to run on Big Sur). Like you I am preparing to wait at least until next August or September to see if Big Sur is worthy of my efforts.
Probably unlikely but I'm also waiting to see if they smooth out some of the questionable UI decisions with the next major update. Badly designed icons, bulky cartoony elements, iPadOS touch elements (in a non touch OS?), hard to read font colors on top of transparency, extra wasted pixels under the dock, etc.

The only thing I had to update is parallels and Adobe but since they are both subscription it really did not matter to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back