Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ThinkServer TS140 - i3 4330 - HD4600 - Yosemite - Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
P1LGRIM,

Thanks a lot of the great guide. I'm pretty much convinced that this is my next build.

Speculative question, do you think there'd be any problems using the displayport to carry video and 5.1 to a TV? I wouldn't be using any other graphics card.

To answer my own question, and in case anyone else was asking it too, the built in graphics can definitely be used for both video and surround sound. I purchased a TS140 i3-4130 and with a little bit of fiddling using the guides below, I got it working.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ics-fix-full-support-alternate-cpus-os-x.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/143760-audio-hdmi-audio-applehda-guide.html

The audio was a slog, lotsa reading, but very doable. The video was super easy. I thought about doing my own write up for anyone else in my situation, but yours is already so thorough that I think posting the additional links I used should suffice. Thanks again for the guide. Because of it, I've got a great little server and HTPC for $250.

To answer my own question, and in case anyone else was asking it too, the built in graphics can definitely be used for both video and surround sound. I purchased a TS140 i3-4130 and with a little bit of fiddling using the guides below, I got it working

Thanks for the feedback - So glad to see that it all worked out ok for you :thumbup:

Can you please let me know how did you fix the HD4600 (Xeon version) on El Capitan using the guide you provided. I can't seem to make it work and I keep having the "flicker" issue.

Thanks!

Can you please let me know how did you fix the HD4600 (Xeon version) on El Capitan using the guide you provided. I can't seem to make it work and I keep having the "flicker" issue.

Like it says in the guide, I didn't use the integrated graphics on my Xeon.
I installed using the integrated graphics on the i3 4330 that came with my ThinkServer and then changed to a Geforce GT 640 before upgrading to El Capitan.
I then upgraded the processor to a Xeon E3-1245 v3.
I am currently using a GT 740 graphics card.

To answer my own question, and in case anyone else was asking it too, the built in graphics can definitely be used for both video and surround sound. I purchased a TS140 i3-4130 and with a little bit of fiddling using the guides below, I got it working.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ics-fix-full-support-alternate-cpus-os-x.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/143760-audio-hdmi-audio-applehda-guide.html

The audio was a slog, lotsa reading, but very doable. The video was super easy. I thought about doing my own write up for anyone else in my situation, but yours is already so thorough that I think posting the additional links I used should suffice. Thanks again for the guide. Because of it, I've got a great little server and HTPC for $250.

Sorry for the confusion, I thought I clicked reply to Tsur's comment and I wanted to ask him how he fixed the HD 4600 issue using the link above.

By the way, this is my first time installing OSX on a PC and your post P1LGRIM, made it so simple! Thanks a lot for the great guide!

Sorry for the confusion, I thought I clicked reply to Tsur's comment and I wanted to ask him how he fixed the HD 4600 issue using the link above.

@Tsur used an i3 4130 not a Xeon :

I purchased a TS140 i3-4130

By the way, this is my first time installing OSX on a PC and your post P1LGRIM, made it so simple!
Thanks a lot for the great guide!

Thanks for the feedback - It's good to know that the guide helped you too.

I see you are using an old BIOS B3A. Did your try with the new one B7A? Do you think may work with the last one? By the way. I'm using a Quadro K620 GPU. Do you think it will work?
It will be great to have our own forum webpage. One dedicated to ours lovedTS140.

I see you are using an old BIOS B3A. Did your try with the new one B7A? Do you think may work with the last one? By the way. I'm using a Quadro K620 GPU. Do you think it will work?
It will be great to have our own forum webpage. One dedicated to ours lovedTS140.

I originally installed with BIOS B3A which was the latest available at the time, I am currently using B7A.

I have no idea about the Quadro K620 as I don't have one to test.

I originally installed with BIOS B3A which was the latest available at the time, I am currently using B7A.

I have no idea about the Quadro K620 as I don't have one to test.

Thanks. I'll install it.

Nice write up piligram....awesome guide....I know mine was the easiest setup I had done....just worked....one of my kids has it now and loves it....waiting on price to drop again then will build another...(5 klds)...Lol Did my build in oct of 2014....running great still..Thanks again for the guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back